Kernel update to 3.2.57

Rats! It seems impossible to bridge wireless connections on pandora (seems to be a fairly common driver limitation according to the forums):

can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: operation not supported

However, I managed to make a router instead of a bridge, using iptables.

Strange, I tried to continue my testing today:

Left the Pandora on the desk with USB plugged in and an openend lid, nothing was running. Charged from 70% to 90% in about an hour. After that I closed the lid and let the Pandora alone for another hour and she charged the battery to 98%.

Seems its more complicated, or maybe it was just a coincidence :wacko:
Did a little more "occasional" testing over the last few weeks and - as it looks to me - there is definately something wrong with charging over USB:

• seems to happen only if the Pandora is going into some low power mode during that, if the mass storage mode is activated, the Pandora charges just fine
  • correlates with "untypical" charge-LED behaviour: e.g. the charge LED does stays lit after the Pandora is unplugged
  • charge level independent
  • happens irregularly

Hum,

There is a problem with usb charging, I can confirm that.

I did not spend times to investigate but, everything thatguy says happens for me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem - maybe. Or my Mini USB port is broken.

i have the exactly same usb charging problem here.

would be great to solve this, because i charge only via usb-cable.

will try the storagemode trick next.

I've been on the newest update for sometime now without issues.. have you tried powering down and take out the battery for a few minutes put it back in and try charging after that?

Strange it affects only relatively few units; that PMIC chip behavior is weird, especially for charging related functionality..

Quite a lot of problems overall, from overcharging and puffing the batteries to refusing to charge, hopefully whatever Pyra ends up using is better.

have you tried powering down and take out the battery for a few minutes put it back in and try charging after that?
yes but it didn't change anything.

before updating the kernel i had zero issues... is the older kernel somewhere archived online so i can temporarely downgrade?

Strange it affects only relatively few units; that PMIC chip behavior is weird, especially for charging related functionality..

Quite a lot of problems overall, from overcharging and puffing the batteries to refusing to charge, hopefully whatever Pyra ends up using is better.
it always charged via usb nicely till the update so i can't complain. :)
i read the pmic has issues so it uses pndevmapperd to cut the power while charging to be safe etc.

i think after the update the console showed a small message about pmic, but i cant remember really.

too bad that the log is only stored in tmpfs.

nevertheless thanks for still working on the pandora kernel while the pyra is coming up! :)

i would be fine with a kernel downgrade pkg.

You can try this command:

sudo devmem2 0x48307260 w 0

..which disables PMIC power saving (RET signalling).

Usually I would not recommend doing this, newer kernels program this register and if you put this somewhere it /etc/rc* and forget, it will interfere, have bad side effects and cause another headache for me - why doesn't it work on some units. However I'm not sure if we ever can upgrade from 3.2, it's just too much work..

You can try this command:

sudo devmem2 0x48307260 w 0..which disables PMIC power saving (RET signalling).
ok thanks! will try this the next days i have time for testing.
if i don't follow up here, we (my pandy & me) died a flaming death! (hopefully not, i trust skeezix's 'wooot for coding while sick' powers.) :)

edit: corrected name

loved poking around with the c64, looks like this is pretty the same. ;)

update: still alive! :)

haven't tried to fix my charging, because this

pandora will be used now on the crt via tv-out cable and

ac-power.

Back