Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

I still think matte/textured black plastic is the better solution.
Which requires modifying the molds, which requires more time and money to do so and likely won't fix the stretch marks. It's a may be a better solution, but at this point not a feasible one to implement.

What a long way to go.. and now looking at the finishing of the last ends I get hyped after a long time.
The solution for the logo and the cases looks great.

Which requires modifying the molds, which requires more time and money to do so and likely won't fix the stretch marks. It's a may be a better solution, but at this point not a feasible one to implement.

Which won't even work, as you need the copper electrodes which FormAction have, so it can't be done without recreating the mold :)
However, the plastic already has a rough texture, but that won't hide the issues how the plastic flows.

Which won't even work, as you need the copper electrodes which FormAction have, so it can't be done without recreating the mold :)
However, the plastic already has a rough texture, but that won't hide the issues how the plastic flows.

I think by "rough" textures, they meant the really textured plastic, like you'd find on the outer edges of Saturn Model 2 controllers.

81fTbgOWz4L._AC_.jpg

-God Ginrai

Yes, and that's what the case has. Just not that rough, it's a bit finer, but it's there. Otherwise, it would look even more ugly without paint :D
Couldn’t agree more! Frankly, that rough surface finish on the Saturn Model 2 controller looks like something you would find on a cheap gardening tool, not on a high quality piece of technology - what were SEGA thinking?!

Couldn’t agree more! Frankly, that rough surface finish on the Saturn Model 2 controller looks like something you would find on a cheap gardening tool, not on a high quality piece of technology - what were SEGA thinking?!

To be fully honest? They were thinking like industry-leaders. (Which I wish they had done for the rest of the design of the Saturn)

That rough texture made the controllers great to hold, and the contrast between that texture and the glossy center of the controller created a nice two-tone aesthetic.

Have you ever actually used that controller before? Because your comment gives me the impression you have not.

-God Ginrai

To be fully honest? They were thinking like industry-leaders. (Which I wish they had done for the rest of the design of the Saturn)

That rough texture made the controllers great to hold, and the contrast between that texture and the glossy center of the controller created a nice two-tone aesthetic.

Have you ever actually used that controller before? Because your comment gives me the impression you have not.

-God Ginrai

You’re right, I haven’t but I was purely commenting on the visual aesthetic (which if I’ve understood correctly is the principle concern behind painting the Pyra).

I accept that it may well have good intentions but I have seen other plastic grip surfaces that don’t look like cheap gardening equipment, which is why I’m surprised SEGA went for something that looks like that (and am glad that the Pyra won’t). But then that’s just my own view and tastes are subjective.

It's really strange that no one mentions anymore that a painted housing is susceptible to scratches and premature aging. Maybe ED is so kind and will give us some scratch tests on the matte case in his next video?

Last edited:
It's really strange that no one mentions anymore that a painted housing is susceptible to scratches and premature aging. Maybe ED is so kind and will give us some scratch tests on the matte case in his next video?
Alright lets mention it, to have unpainted cases that don't have ugly heat stretch marks it would require all new molds made properly and likely cost close or over 100K EUR to do so. Or they could just be painted, we know it will wear over time, but at this point in the project what can we do? Delay the project another two years to redesign and re-tool the injection molds? In my opinion not worth it.

Plus as I understand it, the colour of paint/coating used should be the same as the underlying plastic. I've some old electronics where you can see the plastic through overused parts but nothing quite as freakish looking as the black plastic showing through my silver pandora.

Delay the project another two years to redesign and re-tool the injection molds?
Of course not.
It's just as easy as that you give unpainted cases those customers who want them. Aaaahhh wait, ED said this is too complicated to decide for GC which customer wants a painted and which one wants an unpainted case :) I understand that. It's super complex compared to the numerous variations of pyras 2/4GB RAM, with and without modem and european and us modem.
ugly heat stretch marks
Which ED has been able to visualize only under very special lighting. I own a SHARP Pocket Computer PC-E500S which I bought for 19 years. The housing has also shrink marks which I can only see at special lighting. Of course this case is not ugly and the case still looks like the first day. But ED's main reason is to show some influencers a flawless housing for at least some days/weeks while their testings. Why doesn't he just give those people a painted case?

Which ED has been able to visualize only under very special lighting.
While the current revision had been improved a bit, I've seen the previous case in person at Gamescom. And boy, you do see these marks in normal lighting situations. Check the Gamescom thread for some photos that were taken by community members. Though there's the caveat that at least my photos aren't the sharpest and changing lighting in motion makes them more apparent than still images.

If my Pandora is any indication, black paint on black case is not much of an issue. And that wasn't quite the high quality paint job to be honest.

Back