Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

i departed from gmail a long time ago axactly for the same reason. they wanted my phonenumber for unlocking my email, so i said 'f**k you plenty google' and moved on.
i use berlin based mailbox.org now and love their pro privacy mindset.

I'm using google fi for my cell phone. They already had my number... in more ways than one I suppose.

i departed from gmail a long time ago exactly for the same reason. they wanted my phonenumber for unlocking my email, so i said 'f**k you plenty google' and moved on. i use berlin based mailbox.org now and love their pro privacy mindset.
I moved from google to protonmail free account. It is quite limited ( free version ) but still enough for my needs. I only miss imap/smtp, but that's ok, as I am getting adfree open-source secure mail account. I don't need huge storage capacity as I delete most mails once it's purpose is done.

I use my Moto X4 with lineage OS without google apps.
I still have my google account active to make sure that I don't miss some important mail as I have used it for many years and even after migrating to protonmail, I still receive occasional mails on my google account. My pyra preorder was also placed with gmail. So I will keep it for sometime till all my contacts learn about new email address.
EDIT: and protnmail has free unlimited VPN service too, ( I haven't tried it yet though).

Last edited:
I use a mail.com address instead of gmail. Though I still have a Google account, using a phone number I got temporarily while in Thailand. They won't ever be able to reach me on it though, so I could get locked out any moment.

I also used to use a hotmail account but it got blocked because I tried logging in from Thailand and do not have the "security" e-mail account anymore. I do have the login credentials, but that's not enough anymore.

Either way mail.com lets me log in from wherever I want without any complaints and does not insist on having my phone number so it works fine for me.

Wondering what US carrier LTE bands the Pyra supports. I'm a Verizon user and I only care about data only LTE use cases. Thanks.

Edit:
Ah, I found https://pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modem and the PLS8-US. The datasheet shows that it doesn't support Verizon's main/primary LTE band: 13. Well, this is unfortunate for me.

Last edited:
Wondering what US carrier LTE bands the Pyra supports. I'm a Verizon user and I only care about data only LTE use cases. Thanks.

Edit:
Ah, I found https://pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modem and the PLS8-US. The datasheet shows that it doesn't support Verizon's main/primary LTE band: 13. Well, this is unfortunate for me.
Yeah in the same boat, but I don't really see myself using the phone features of the Pyra, just cared about GPS.

Yeah in the same boat, but I don't really see myself using the phone features of the Pyra, just cared about GPS.

I'm only interested in LTE data myself. I'm not interested in voice (seems like it'd be awkward to use the Pyra as a phone) and Verizon is planning on shutting down their CDMA/3G network next year anyway (I can't even recall the last time I was somewhere with only 3G available).

The built-in LTE was the main reason I was interested in the Pyra as a UMPC over other devices (ie. GPD MicroPC). I'm stuck with Verizon too. I have grandfathered unlimited data and I've been using one of the lines (~$35 USD for the line) on various devices by just moving the SIM card around.

Hmm, I've just found it more or less impossible to find the list of frequencies supported by the Pyra, short of finding the part at Gemalto and downloading the datasheet. I have discovered that if you live in a big city in the US it seems to me quite likely Verizon is running LTE on bands other than 13. While 13 is their main band they also run overflow bands on other frequencies namely bands 2, 4 and 66 with band 5 coming next year as they turn off their CDMA towers using that frequency (it's 850MHz in normal speak)

pyra news.png

I'm reminded of that Henry Ford quote.

Picture ED announcing "You can have your Pyra any colour you want... so long as it's (matte) black" :D (Hey it's a joke, don't ban me!)

Hmm, there's something on the preorder pages on the shop:
* If we are in the position to offer different case colors to choose from you'll be able to select the color you want with the final order. But there will be definitely a BLACK version available!

I'd personally consider actual anthracite as a coal to be a variety of black in colour, but whether the pantone colour known as anthracite counts I am less sure. I'd still like to see a unit painted in pantone antracite to be more convinced, but if ED only wants to make one colour for production it'll have to be some kind of black. Pantone antracite is hex code 28282d, and I'd certainly consider that closer to black than any other colour I'd be happy to name.

Bit late to the party, but I'd just like to re-iterate other's views here by saying that the painted/coated case does indeed look like "da bomb".
And so do the keymats.

Feels like everything is coming together nicely.....but possibly not in time for Chrimbo 2019. But hopefully not long afterwards.
Also can't wait for videos and/or more info on Grench's prototype Pyra :)

The Battery is 6000 mah??
I don’t want to take my Pyra on Plane anyway, as I don’t want to fly..
If you mean it’s can’t work because your Plane Trip is in less than 2 Months I don’t know..
I still hope to get my Pyra in Dezember, but if not, also no big issue..

Reactions: rSl
Back