Pyra Learning OpenGL ES 2.0 for Pyra

Discussion in 'OpenGL ES and GLSL ES' started by kaprikawn, Jan 14, 2018.

1. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

IIRC you can checkout each old release in git, make the changes and commit a change. The old release tag will move to your new commit, and you'll effectively have created a small branch off each old tag. If not, you may need to issue a new git tag to move the old tag. As always if in doubt copy your entire repo first as a backup.

2. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Member

Sounds easy enough. I'll create a dummy repo and test it once I get this problem fixed.

On that...pocak was absolutely correct. Everything up to v0.2.6 works if I change mat4() to mat4( 1.0 ) which is a relief.

Everything after that version (where I did a major rewrite for v0.3.0) usually displays the ship but nothing else. So at least I know where to start looking now, probably my mesh class is the most likely candidate.

3. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Member

Oh crap, I knew I'd put this on the back-burner for a while, but I hadn't realised I hadn't touched it since June! I've just looked at the timestamp of when I last posted, didn't realise it was that long.

Anyway, I've finally gotten around to fixing my old releases (though I haven't tested them thoroughly so a couple might not work here or there).

I've also done a new release. It doesn't have much added, just some placeholder music and a non-functional enemy. I just wanted to put something up to motivate me to do more I think.

Blog post is here https://kaprikawn.wordpress.com/2018/10/09/learning-to-learn-opengl-es-2-0-part-22-enemy-and-audio/

I've also created a Youtube video of my progress so far :

sebt3, CommanderB, directive0 and 8 others like this.
  4. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

Nice, Space harrier! :D

5. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

I want to learn this too - someday. Thank you very much for the blogging.

6. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Member

It's very rewarding, but it is rather difficult. If your goal is to make a game, it might be a better idea to learn an engine. Unfortunately there aren't many options for the Pyra, though I expect Godot 3.1 will be able to output to the Pyra and that looks to be a good option with it being open-source. I've been following Godot a bit and the volume of learning materials is starting to pick up. And people whose opinion I respect have good things to say about Godot.

I'm more interested in learning to code better, and learning what is going on under the hood. I've always found it best to learn the basics of a technology like developing HTML in a text editor rather than using something like Dreamweaver (I learned HTML back when Dreamweaver was still a thing that people used). So that is why I keep the amount of external libraries and frameworks to a minimum.

The quality of my blogging could probably be better, but I hope it proves useful to somebody. The approach I'm taking does not seem to be very popular on the internet, you have either OpenGL targeted at desktop, or OpenGL ES targeted at iOS and Android. The learning materials for OpenGL ES targeting the desktop are few and generally hard to find. Even if people don't find my code or blogs helpful, I think the fact that I'm documenting where I'm find resources might still be helpful.

Yorizuka and levi like this.
  7. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

I dream of a simple robotron 2084 with pyra and pandora using gles. Except TWO PLAYER NETWORK PLAY

RWAWR

8. elvissteinjr

elvissteinjr Very Active Member

Coincidentally I've written my custom engine with SDL2 and OpenGL 1.5 / OpenGLES 1.1 (not 2). It's doable if you keep it 2D (3D, while technically not too far away, has a another bunch of problems to solve), but it's time consuming. It's indeed rewarding (that is after you've sorted out the engine-level bug that randomly appeared out of nowhere).
    There's a lot of stuff to deal with and even platform-independent libraries may end up having platform-specific behavior where you don't expect it or some stuff simply needs multiple code paths. Deploying properly for the end user can also take quite some time on some platforms.

But I agree, if you just want to make a game, take an existing engine. But it's kinda nice to have full control and knowledge of what's happening. You can study up documentations a lot, but you know the code you've really written yourself best in the end.

Yorizuka likes this.
  9. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Member

10. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

11. kaprikawn

kaprikawn Member

Oh wow, no, I haven't seen that before. For now I just want to get a crappy demo done. But after that I want to go back and do something a little more polished and improve my code quality. This resource looks excellent for helping with that, it looks to be about the same scope that I'm aiming for. One of the main things I want to do is learn data driven design/component-based entity systems, and just reading a bit at the beginning I've seen that mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up, that looks like a promising resource for me.