Let's Label This Mofo

Good point, it would be pretty silly not to point all those out. I'll add labels (in a different colour maybe) to KPBL and the extra shoulder button pads. Can anyone identify more?

Gruso said:
...but there are another 4 PCB layers in between.

craigix said:
Good luck going through eight layers then :)

Further good luck will be required in being allowed to order all the parts without an NDA too.

I highly doubt we will see any clone Pandora consoles, you would be more likely to see a clone PSP.
8 layers silly Gruso
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49574-schematics-pinouts-needed-connectors-etc-help-needed/page__view__findpost__p__755496

Last edited by a moderator:
About the picture nikkopt posted:
I'm quite convinced that U19 is not a voltage translator but a NAND gate.
Also U2 is not a TWL4030 but a TPS65950.
(It used to be TWL on older boards though. BBFAQ says they're functionally identical.)

I'm wondering why the nubs are not attached at the time of component assembly.
Seems weird that they would have to reheat the board just to attach another surface mount device.
Its like not attaching the SD card slots or the headphone jack.
Anybody know why they appear to be doing it this way?

j.pickens said:
Seems weird that they would have to reheat the board just to attach another surface mount device.
Its like not attaching the SD card slots or the headphone jack.
Anybody know why they appear to be doing it this way?

Maybe they normally are, just not shown that way in this picture. IE not a completely finished board.

TrashyMG said:
j.pickens said:
Maybe they normally are, just not shown that way in this picture. IE not a completely finished board.
ISTR MW saying that someone has to solder them on. I'm not sure why.

rabidpoobear said:
TrashyMG said:
j.pickens said:

It's most likely that the Pick and Place machine isn't setup for placing the nubs, or they are too delicate of a device to have being man handled by robotics.

kingoddball said:
rabidpoobear said:
kingoddball said:
I plan on chopping up a PSX or PS2 (so the colour is similar) control pad and make something like a clip on addition to have L2/R2 buttons and to make them work well and functional.

I'll wire up the L2/R2 to a plug and so I can just plug in my button caddy style thing when I make it.. Seems VERY easy in my head.

Edit:
Maybe just chop up an N64 controller and make a button caddy to connect to the pandora and hook onto the rear!

This sounds kinda convoluted. You're going to cut up a ps2 controller just for the shoulder buttons? or are you trying to make a handle from the controller?

No handle.
I just want the L2/R2 buttons. The playstation has always had great buttons esp L2/R2!

Rather than try just glue on some crap buttons, I'll wire up a plug section (so they can be removed as easy as pulling an SD card), plug in the 2 shoulder buttons that can clip to the pandora shell somehow. Nice and easy extra buttons, without the mess of too much case modification. (tiny 4 wire plug will be exactly that... tiny).

I've got a few broken controllers. Even a ps3/xbox360 broken one and 2 dreamcast controllers.

Exactly what I was thinking... Except I have no clue how to do this :blink:

TrashyMG said:
rabidpoobear said:
TrashyMG said:
j.pickens said:

It's most likely that the Pick and Place machine isn't setup for placing the nubs, or they are too delicate of a device to have being man handled by robotics.
The nubs are a custom part remember, so it's probable that the machine can't do them automatically and they need hand soldering.

if you employed a load of people called Bob to do the soldering then they could be soldered by Robert (robot)

sorry, think I'll have a lie down :blink:

wea0 said:
About the picture nikkopt posted:
I'm quite convinced that U19 is not a voltage translator but a NAND gate.
Also U2 is not a TWL4030 but a TPS65950.
(It used to be TWL on older boards though. BBFAQ says they're functionally identical.)

About the TPS65950, ur right.. it's just that i'm used to call it "TWL" :p in fact, they are about the same thing, TI just replaced it like they did with the omap.

About U19, blame him: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49574-schematics-pinouts-needed-connectors-etc-help-needed/page__view__findpost__p__755578 *disappears with an evil laugh* . Nah, i didn't check the IC, my bad..

I'm going to need everyone in this thread to give me their order numbers, seeing as how you all plan to break your warranty with the hack points, and for all we know you plan on lying about it.

Bosbeetle said:
Sorry for the oftopic but chest rockwell is your username a reference to lovage?
Yup!

Chest Rockwell said:
I'm going to need everyone in this thread to give me their order numbers, seeing as how you all plan to break your warranty with the hack points, and for all we know you plan on lying about it.
I'm glad that you are back :D

nikkopt said:
About U19, blame him: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49574-schematics-pinouts-needed-connectors-etc-help-needed/page__view__findpost__p__755578 *disappears with an evil laugh* . Nah, i didn't check the IC, my bad..
Haha, Squidge even instructed you not to quote that post ;)
That aside I think U3 (which could be a SN74AVCA406L) might be the one responsible for the SD voltage translation.

Chest Rockwell said:
Haha, I don't even have an order number. I plan to identify all the chips and then build it myself ;)
That aside I have no idea whatsoever how electronics work. I just decided to try find the components because I was bored.

On topic of labeling the mofo; anybody got better pics of populated/unpopulated boards than those: MWeston Skeezix Unknown source
Would be interesting to know what U14 and U15 are. It's very likely that U14 is some 5V step up converter for the USB port but no luck figuring out the part number.

wea0 said:
On topic of labeling the mofo; anybody got better pics of populated/unpopulated boards than those: MWeston Skeezix Unknown source
Would be interesting to know what U14 and U15 are. It's very likely that U14 is some 5V step up converter for the USB port but no luck figuring out the part number.
here you go wea0
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=IMG_1050.jpg :)

take a look here for all the pics
http://photobucket.com/Open-Pandora-unofficial

Back