Look Who Flew The Nest!

Well done on nabbing the first one...
God knows where I am in the queue but at least things are moving now.
Nice idea on the OS version naming, I remember buying zaxxon on a great big floppy disk (it really was floppy) for my Atari 600XL!!

Obviously this was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Rick

Arkay Firestar said:
Multiplex said:
TylerAW said:
I do not see Gloves on the people assembling Pandora's :blink:
Meh, gloves are a pain to work with. An antistatic wrist strap, on the other hand, might be nice.

This is the kind of thing that, if it's just simply a matter of not having access/stock of gloves, I'd be happy to buy some and have them shipped to the team. I mean, it's a small thing, but it'll certainly help with the overall QC.

I agree, I don't want greasy fingerprints all over my precious Pandora. Working all day on an assembly line will make your hands sweat profusely, not only from physical effort but also because this type of work is extremely stressful, causing clammy hands. I think they should use gloves even though it might slow them down a touch.

:p Yep, I'm a bit of a germ freak.

Last edited by a moderator:
fettouhi said:
Great pics. Can't wait to get mine. I'm in the 650 - 750 group :D . Just a shorty question about the power supply. I can see the one depicted is for UK. I assume that there are cables for EU/Denmark ;) .

I'm in the 650-750 group as well :) I hope ED won't take too many Pandoras home XD

I'm pretty sure you'll get the right cable. I guess the cable that goes from the power supply to the wall socket is pretty standard anyway.

hisaki said:
I guess the cable that goes from the power supply to the wall socket is pretty standard anyway.
That's specifically the bit that - internationally - isn't particularly standard.

Luckily though, they're not hard to come by.

Looks like the 3000 will be faster to assemble than the 1000.

We have learnt so many little tweaks which can be done before we get the parts to speed things up, especially on the cases, things like adhesive strips can be applied at the factory and not here, those little jobs all add up and take a long time (try putting 1000 LCD strips on 1000 cases!).

But it's getting more organised now, a few little changes needed to be made here, such as the shoulder buttons had to all be hand drilled to make the holes bigger (gah!) and some of them slightly filed down on the internal side to make sure they didn't stick sometimes.

It's little things like this which means we can make the units better even at this last stage.

I really feel like I need a day off, but at the same time I just want to get these done.

4000 seems like such a big number right now but with further streamlining and organisation on the build process and it will fly by.

No idea how many will ship this week, but I'm looking forward to trying the next 100 with a more 'production line' setup.

Also looking forward to see the first reviews.

Line O said:
That's specifically the bit that - internationally - isn't particularly standard.

Ah, sorry, wrong choice of words, not a native English speaker. But yeah that's what I meant, easy to come by. And well, standard inside of the region. As in, I have a lot of devices that have a cable that looks like that.

craigix said:
Also looking forward to see the first reviews.

Reviews come from both people with the Pandora, and people who see the information given.

I wasn't happy with the photographs that were orange-yellow, so I normalized a pic by hand after some work (the below pic):

as opposed to the original:

Edit: You guys really need someone who knows photography. There is only so much I can edit after the fact. Once I have my Pandora, of course then I can photograph as I see fit.

Edit2: That pic change is a friggen work of art, it is gorgeous.

why am i number 4001, whyyyyyyyyy :ph34r:

hey craig, as you're talking about assembly speed, when do you expect to have finished shipping the whole first 4000?

hisaki said:
Line O said:

Ah, sorry, wrong choice of words, not a native English speaker. But yeah that's what I meant, easy to come by. And well, standard inside of the region. As in, I have a lot of devices that have a cable that looks like that.
Actually, that is a standard...

Creature XL said:
Shopped!

Confirmed: Pandora is a fake.
Nah, GIMPed.
It took many long steps to make the color look right. However, that is a shit load of awesome, that fix of the pic. I even replaced the original pic on my post on the unofficial blog.

Wade-newb said:
LeChuck87 said:
Wade-newb said:
Gusarapo said:
LECKER!!!! :D

I can not wait for me sweet Pandora. Well... I can wait. XD

What's "lecker"?

=yummy/delicious
Is that German?
:D

In Afrikaans "lekker" means the same thing :) Pretty cool B)
In het nederlands ook!

English translation:
In the Netherlands it means the same!

Anyways, if you can do that 100 a day I would be really really happy as that would mean my unit will be done in 6 days :D

Michie4life said:
Wade-newb said:
LeChuck87 said:
Wade-newb said:
Gusarapo said:
LECKER!!!! :D

I can not wait for me sweet Pandora. Well... I can wait. XD

What's "lecker"?

=yummy/delicious
Is that German?
:D

In Afrikaans "lekker" means the same thing :) Pretty cool B)
In het nederlands ook!

English translation:
In the Netherlands it means the same!

Yay for being a smartass, those basic words are shared by Dutch and Afrikaans...... (with an exeption of some like veel in dutch that is baie in Afrikaans, stupid farmers)

Back