looking for help on project

something to think about: how is the site going to run from a pandora, if coated in shiny shiny script everywhere?

and also, no mouse-hover actions allowed, pandora has a touchscreen :p

well of course it should work fine as long as its say latest firefox or latest chromium but my intention isnt for the website to be used via the pandora.

The intention (as stated on the first post of this topic) is for my website to work as repo for a native client/appmanager.

But also a website for people to upload new pnd's (devs) and for peeps that want to download pnd's on their desktop/laptop then transfer manually to their pandora.

^ Just to comment: if not using AJAX for basic functionality makes the site less usable, how will the non-textbrowser/noscript people feel? I'm guessing there's more of them (us) ;) . Of course if it makes no difference if AJAX is used or not, it's of course better to err on the side of caution :)
Well, most of the time when someone uses AJAX, there's no need for it. Just look at the internet, about all of the big sites that also existed some years ago do very well without it. I mean, wikipedia could load their articles using ajax and just leave the "frame" static, but that wouldn't make any sense, would it? Most of the time JS is just used for eye-candy, but the stuff works just as well without it. Take for example the lightbox commonly used to display photos: without JS, the image just opens in a new tab instead of hovering over the content.

In the places where it's really needed (and an alternative in a noscript-tag would be much work), then JS is OK, but I still prefer sites without it - but that's probably just me again ;)

and an alternative in a noscript-tag would be much work

Im not going to use the noscript tag because that would requires lots of extra markup, im giong to basically use jQuery to add onclick events without it being written in the markup (thats how it should be, markup,css,JS should all be totally seprate never unless really needed add js directly to the markup).

i.e.

Code:
$('#idOfElement').click(function(event) {

//do somthing cool

});

so all Im going to do is have the page work normally but it javascript is enabled it will change the functions and attributes, classes of certain elements automatically :)

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

the fancy ajax version of my sign-in, registration, validation is reaching the stage where I would like some people to test it for me, preferably people who have been interested in the project so far and have posted.

there is no NON-JAVASCRIPT version ready yet, ill get to that once the fancy bit is done.

@tempel, @rockthesmurf, @sebt3, @foxblock @wizard, @Klaue @B-ZaR etc

if you want to try this section for me when I'm ready for someone to test it let me know.

excellent, it wont be ready untill sometime late evening time (london GMT) need to add option for forgot password, and resend validation code so hopefully shouldnt take too long, cant work on it untill I get home though.

@tempel - I belive it failed validation because of the spaces in the URL, you see i used the php's built in

Code:
filter_var($url, VAR_FILTER_URL);
to validate the web address - it looks like it doesnt like the spaces.

maybe one of the flags will fix this? if not I can always do

Code:
$url = str_replace(' ', '%20', $url);
before passing it through the filter?

ok just back home from work, gonna finish some stuff on on the website may take a few hours then ill pm you the link. thanks.

Sorry, no go in a few hours, I gotta get to bed in 15 minutes so I can get proper sleep before work :) .

I would be happy to give it a try and see if I can poke some holes in the system :p

I still will be on for a few more hours, else I might have some time tomorrow evening.

Btw, how do you handle all messages and general strings, do you load them from a file (like The Box does) so one could easily supply a translation. If not, that would be a nice thing to consider for a next version.

foxblock out

UPDATE:

ok sent a few people URL to my test site.

just a reminder the test site isnt really designed with the pandora in mind , the repo side of my site will be for that with native access.

my website is ment to be a desktop site so people can upload, download from a pc and manually add to pandora.

although it should work on the latest chromium and firefox on the pandora it wont look as nice. (at the moment).

@foxbox that is a very interesting idea, ill look into implementing that when my site is no longer classed as (in development :p )

UPDATE:

from feedback so far (of the account login/registration form test), its not functioning correctly with Firefox 3.6.13

ill have to look into asap although i might not get a lot of free time over the next few days.

fixed :)

next:

add reCAPTCHA to prevent bots signing up :)

UPDATE:

fixed a few jquery bugs where I was causing callbacks to be fired mutliple times.

tested by me on ubuntu, windows 7 versions of firefox 3.6.13 and pandora firefox version 3.6.12 and 4 beta 7 - works correctly.

tested by me on midori,arora and fennec on pandora, works correctly - slow on arora and fennec.

Chomium (non developer version) works fine but resize's form label text for some reason.

fixed allowing usernames of infinate length.

added CAPTCHA to prevent bots from signing up - works fine.

looking good.

any of those that tested it with firefox 3.6.13 and say it doesnt work please try deleting your browsers cache and reloading the page - it should work ok.

deleted all accounts that were added by testers but of course you can add new ones if you like.

UPDATE:

ok I have updated my testpage with a new look and jQuery animations.

made some changes to the code so it wasn't as complicated and this fixed a few issues I was having.

I'm still working on this :p will get there in the end.

UPDATE:

to all those people testing my webpage.

• I have removed the manual validation as this was totally redundant.
  • have removed/commented out the console.log so it shouldnt prevent it from working correctly in firefox 3.6.13
  • @urjman ur gmail account should work, the console.log was preventing the script from running.
  • have added a nice php driven table off applications - 10 apps per page (pagination).
  • when you have created and activated your account u can now log in successfully and it shows ur username. (stores this in a php session untill u log/time out).
  • I have deleted all accounts again so you can sign-up again.

The console.log thing is because firefox, like some other browsers, does not define a "console" global variable. If a firefox has firebug installed, it will also add console. I use something like this when developing to get logging while still maintaining compatibility with console-less browsers:

Code:
function log(foo) {

if(typeof console != "undefined") {

console.log(foo);

}

}

log("This works everywhere!");

EDIT: unnecessary quote

Back