Love thy noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

d45h

Still Fresh
Why you should be nice to noobs:

1) You were once a noob
2) There are many more of them than there are of you
3) Perpetuating the image of the arrogant, socially inept nerd is counterproductive
4) Happy noobs attract other noobs which equals more positive exposure of Pandora
5) Mainstream acceptance has more advantages than disadvantages

Remember when computers were only for multi-nationals, physics students and electronics enthusiasts? Thank goodness noobs buy PCs!

Help Pandora. Love thy noob!

Pandora is a truly remarkable project and an amazing achievement for those involved.
Its success would be a great boost for both the home brew community and the open source world in general.

Personally. I'm a noob to home brew but a seasoned IT professional. To me, in my arena, you are a noob :p

I am buying Pandora, if for no other reason, than to help it succeed!

d45h said:

1) You were once a noob
3) Perpetuating the image of the arrogant, socially inept nerd is counterproductive
4) Happy noobs attract other noobs which equals more positive exposure of Pandora

Remember when computers were only for multi-nationals, physics students and electronics enthusiasts? Thank goodness noobs buy PCs!

Pandora is a truly remarkable project and an amazing achievement for those involved.
Its success would be a great boost for both the home brew community and the open source world in general.

Personally. I'm a noob to home brew but a seasoned IT professional. To me, in my arena, you are a noob :p

Agreed

Nerd rage is pathetic

congratulations, you successfully posted in the wrong area

1) You were once a noob
1. so? people move on to bigger and better things
2. and they are all in positions of less power
3. to who? its always been beneficial to me.
4. it also equals more noobs.
5. no, no it doesnt.
Ahhh, the good ol days.
how is that helping again?
mainstream success doesnt equal sucess to the homebrew game creators, necessarily.
OH GEE I LOVE ASSUMPTIONS BASED ON ABSOLUTELY NO BACKGROUND INFORMATION
thats pretty foolish

funny how you call noob haters the arrogant ones.

d45h said:

1) You were once a noob

no, there is something called "google"... It's pretty amazing.

Elitism won't just deter noobs, it'll deter people who are developers but simply haven't gotten their feet wet in Linux yet. Yanno, like me. Is that a good thing?

I'll develop for the Pandora regardless, but less attitude would still be nice. The whole "RTFM" culture is exactly why I have never bothered getting my feet wet in Linux before.

Eniko said:
Elitism won't just deter noobs, it'll deter people who are developers but simply haven't gotten their feet wet in Linux yet. Yanno, like me. Is that a good thing?

I'll develop for the Pandora regardless, but less attitude would still be nice. The whole "RTFM" culture is exactly why I have never bothered getting my feet wet in Linux before.
A couple of months ago I finally got into linux and I've had quite some problems with my hardware, but at all times there were forums and IRC channels being very helpful and patient with me.

Kyosys said:
Eniko said:

A couple of months ago I finally got into linux and I've had quite some problems with my hardware, but at all times there were forums and IRC channels being very helpful and patient with me.
We've had some pretty disparate experiences then. Admittedly when I tried to get into Linux it was more on the order of a couple of years ago, rather than a few months ago, and maybe I looked in the wrong places. I've also seen a little "us vs them" going around these forums though and I don't think it's really conducive to making a better, more productive community.

Fortunately, it's only been a little, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Eniko said:
Kyosys said:
Eniko said:

We've had some pretty disparate experiences then. Admittedly when I tried to get into Linux it was more on the order of a couple of years ago, rather than a few months ago, and maybe I looked in the wrong places. I've also seen a little "us vs them" going around these forums though and I don't think it's really conducive to making a better, more productive community.

Fortunately, it's only been a little, so I'm pretty happy about that.

I thought this thread was a good example of how some people in the home brew community react to an "outsider". Its a shame. I love open source, but I hate closed minds.

Some people want to keep it all to themselves. Their private elitist club. Well tough. I'm buying one anyway :p. Then I'm going to port loads of stock broking and investment management software to it! Ha!

d45h said:
I thought this thread was a good example of how some people in the home brew community react to an "outsider". Its a shame. I love open source, but I hate closed minds.

Some people want to keep it all to themselves. Their private elitist club. Well tough. I'm buying one anyway :p. Then I'm going to port loads of stock broking and investment management software to it! Ha!

I'm sure times will change on the forum. Don't take it personally, some members are a bit grumpy.
Most people are friendly, though.

Ahh... Spoken like a true believer in the people. As long as they're polite, considerate and willing, newbies are ok with me. I just laugh to myself quietly whenever I see an arrogant bastard post a boring flame like "GTFO, i'm better than you on this forum."

Hooray for newbies!

(PS: I hate the word noob, it's soo... 13.)

Elitism, second only to redundancy here.
Personally as long as someone is reasonably coherent i find it hard to take offense.
Its also a lot easier to just answer a newby question than write a wall of text on how much you want them to die, at least in my experience.

I've always thought that there is a strong distinction between n00b and newb. Newb (or newbie) is someone who is new to the scene, who asks for help but is capable and willing to learn and read documentation before asking obvious questions. A n00b would be just an idiot who is too lazy to even try before asking help, or who makes ridiculous assertions due to lack of knowledge in a topic, and tries to defend such assertions even in the face of rebuttals made by those with more expertise in the matter.

the_darkside_986 said:
I've always thought that there is a strong distinction between n00b and newb. Newb (or newbie) is someone who is new to the scene, who asks for help but is capable and willing to learn and read documentation before asking obvious questions. A n00b would be just an idiot who is too lazy to even try before asking help, or who makes ridiculous assertions due to lack of knowledge in a topic, and tries to defend such assertions even in the face of rebuttals made by those with more expertise in the matter.

So what are the chances those large-scale distros could be used to play some decent linux games? I know there won't be much RAM left with an OS running in the background, but consider some games like these: Text Adventures (the non-frotz freeware ones), Visual Novels (those short freeware ones), Roguelikes (especially closed source ADoM), Cave Story, Dwarf Fortress, Stepmania, MUD clients!!

Do I have a reason to get even more excited now?

2.OK so if a psp can run a DC emulator and a N64 emulator why can a machine "much more powerful then any other hand held" not be able to? I mean come on it even has a bigger screen size then a psp and better resolution p&|a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back