Mame Gp2x 3.4

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of my MAME port for the GP2X, with the following changes:

- Sound in CPS-1 Q-Sound games (Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Punisher and Warriors of Fate). Only running with standard executable (not the fast one). Anyway those games run nicely with full sound now. Thanks to the work of Chui (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/index.html).
- FAME/C core integrated but not used by MAME GP2X yet, maybe it could be useful for other ports without M68000 asm cores. Thanks to the work of Chui and Fox64k.
- Improved memcpy() asm function to copy with 64 bytes blocks instead of 32 bytes. Better performance in some games.
- Better explained messages when there are problems reading or verifying the roms.

Get it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/
[cut]
- Thanks to all paypal donators: EvilDragon (www.gp32x.de), Federico Mazza, Nandove, Videogame Stuff, Denis Evans, Ricardo Cabello, Elías Ballesteros, J.Antonio Serralvo Martín, bagmouse7, Suj, funkyferdy, Gieese, Vincent Cleaver, William Burnett, Bleeg, Martin Dolphin, Ilarri, Glen Stones, Dr.Konami, Augusto Carlos Pérez Arriaza, Charles Box, Borochi, Kayday, George Tavoulareas, Timofonic, Fabrice Canava, Redox, Javitotrader, remowilliams, Scott Contrera, Jinhyun Seo, Craigix (www.gp2x.co.uk), Shane Monroe, Simon Beattie, Stefan Braunstein, DaveC, Colin Bradshaw, Dana Rodolico, Revod, Michael Evers, Riccardo Pizzi, Fosfy45, Dj Syto, Rob Pittman, Stefan Mueller, Musa, Unai, Sascha Reuter, Globalwide Technologies Limited, Juan Rivera-Novoa, Mark Carin, SBock, Julio Catalina Piedrahita, techFreak (www.gp2xtr.com), Darius Hardy, Charles Andre, Matt Brimelow, McOskar, Daniel PP Saurborn, Picayuco, Kojote (www.pdroms.com), Knoxximus, Tony Watterson, Matthew Forman, naples39, NEO (www.elotrolado.net), Patrick Mettes, Angel Molero Grueso, Lubidog, Smiths (www.emuholic.com), retromander, Ruben Villar, Snakefd99cb, Harkaitz, BZFrank, Sang Kim, phoda, Caesaris, Furanchu, Selcuk Cegit, K-Navis, Estaño, Jeff Hong, Jasmot, Igboo, Sergio Onorati, Julien Perret, Cheap Impostor, Gianluca Lazzari, Niche IP Solutions, Jason, Thomas Seban, Miq01, Paul Carter, Freddy Deniau, Mustafa Beciragic, Ian Rawlings, Domenico Calcagno, pongplaya, Aruseman, Anarchy (www.hardcore-gamer.net & www.gp32spain.com), Darkman, Chaos Engineer, Ian Buxton, Martin M Pedersen, Philip Trottman, Gary Ross, Fat Agnus, Austin Holdsworth, Paul Johns, Gaterooze, Elizabeth Burrow, Godmil, rooster, Dark_Warlock, Danilo Gadza.[/cut]

Allow me to be the first to say:

Weeee!!!!!! Thanks again Franxis :D

Just tried it out! :eek: Wow! This Is Great, I now have sound on Cadillacs & Dinosaurs!!!

For some reason I have a lot of trouble downloading from your site. I used Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, and IE. I have IE on Linix through Crossover Office. Finally went back to Firefox. It took me about 15 times of starting and restarting, but I finally got it!! Yea! :D

These are great days for the GP2X!!! :D

Excellent job Franxis! QSound is working nice...

But sometimes sound output stops while changing roms. Also it hangs up when i try to quit from the emulator. My device is a MK2 on fw2.1.1

Wow... Mat Mania works for me now with good sound also! This has never worked for my GP2X until this version.

I still can't get the sequel to work - Mania Challenge (either set). I start the games and first movement you input(punch, kick, movement, etc) game locks up. Just the ROM locks up though... I can still exit the game using L+R+Joystick button to get back to the MAME select menu.

Is this one not currently supported or do I have a bad set of files?

I tried Normal, Compatible and Fast. This has never worked for me.

As always - Thanks a ton Franxis!

Been waiting for this. Just donated 10 euros, sorry it's not a lot, I will be donating with each release I pick up. Thanks for the updates, hopefully Rainbow Islands will work soon =D

He Franxis,
Really nice work you`ve done :)
two questions:
Is the qsound not the main obstacle for cps2 emulation?,
Have the Famce/c core the same speed potenial like uae4all?

greetings
HauJobb

weird. copied 3.4 over but it locks up at the title screen. copied 3.3 back and all is ok. copied 3.4 one more time but no go. will have to try something different.

i have been playing neogeo games with gngeo but decided i would like to try twinkle star sprites under mame, since this engine is being improved so frequently and the emulation might be better.

however, running with default settings and with with neogeo.zip (mame-specific bios rom set) and twinspri.zip (mame-specific twinkle start sprites rom set) in my /roms directory, i get the error:

Code:
Loading "Twinkle Star Sprites"...
sprit_p1.rom
sprit_s1.rom
ng-sfix.rom
sprit_c1.rom
Unable to open ROM
Error reading ROMs
Unable to initialize machine emulation
LOAD FAILED: Press A button...

it looks like sprit_c1.rom is missing? however, not even sprit_p1.rom is in my twispri.zip:

Code:
224-c1.bin
224-c2.bin
224-c3.bin
224-c4.bin
224-m1.bin
224-p1.bin
224-s1.bin
224-v1.bin
224-v2.bin

ideas? suggestions?

it looks like sprit_c1.rom is missing? however, not even sprit_p1.rom is in my twispri.zip:
At some point, the NeoGeo ROM naming conventions in MAME changed. The version of MAME that this GP2X version was based on pre-dates the changeover, so ROMS for the latest version of MAME have the wrong names. You can probably get what you have to work by unzipping the file, renaming all the .bin files, and then re-zipping it. The important part of the name is the letter-number combination (c1, v2, p1, etc), so rename "224-c1.bin to "spirit_c1.rom" and so on.

(This assumes that the actual content of the ROMS hasn't been changed... If they have, then your only option is to find the older version. I don't think this one has changed though.)

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been playing neogeo games with gngeo but decided i would like to try twinkle star sprites under mame, since this engine is being improved so frequently and the emulation might be better.

GnGeo is a better way to play Neo·Geo games.
It is faster and more compatible than GP2X MAME.
The romsets in GnGeo and MAME GP2X are different.

Regards.

franxis: thanks for the straight answer, that neogeo games are better under gngeo than mame!

zero: on a whim i tried renaming the files and that didn't work either. for now, i'll stick to gngeo for twinkle star sprites :)

But sometimes sound output stops while changing roms. Also it hangs up when i try to quit from the emulator. My device is a MK2 on fw2.1.1

Exactly the same with me (MK1 , FW 2.1.1)

Yeah that is a bug that has been in it since Franxis changed the sound core I think.

The sound is not quite right anymore for the older games. It almost sounds like the sound is frameskipping a little as well. The sound will also skip ahead sometimes in in-game tunes. I played Ms. Pac-man and in the intermission tune it skipped a note as well.

Yeah that is a bug that has been in it since Franxis changed the sound core I think.

The sound is not quite right anymore for the older games. It almost sounds like the sound is frameskipping a little as well. The sound will also skip ahead sometimes in in-game tunes. I played Ms. Pac-man and in the intermission tune it skipped a note as well.

I prefer a faster MAME than a better sound quality, sorry. I think sound is ok for a handheld like the GP2X. A better sound requires a lot of CPU... Regards.

Back