Mame Gp2x 3.9

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of the MAME port for the GP2X!.

A lot of improvements have been done by Slaanesh:
- Updated threaded sound core. Restart with each game for better reliability. No more disappearing sound for games.
- Major bug fix in FM sound, no more disappearing sound in FM based games! ie. Bobble Bobble, Black Tiger, MANY others.
- Bug fix to YM3812 sound system. Fixes for sampled instruments handling.
- Sample sound code adjusted. Should play better. Specific fixes with samples in Galaga (explosion), Star Trek, Gorf and Berzerk. Note: Star Trek requires new sample set.
- Bug fixes (memory leaks) in core MAME code: unzip, palette and other common functions.
- Bug fixes (memory leaks) in game drivers: 1943, Break Thru, Black Tiger, Commando, Sega System 8 games, Atari System 1 & 2 games (Gauntlet, Xybots, etc).
- Some debug code has been added to detect new memory leaks.
- Protection emulated in Solomon's Key.
- Updated driver for Return of the Jedi.
- Bobble Bobble sounds didn't sync correctly with video and audio clock at 100%. Fixed.
- Optimizations in the Sega System 8 video hardware. Games like Choplifter running significantly better now.
Thanks, Slaanesh, for all your hard work!

- DrZ80 compatibility improvements. More games are now compatible: Windjammers, Tokio, Bobble Bobble, etc.
- Added Turtle Ship (turtship) (MAME 0.35b1). It has been also added to the ClrMAME DAT. 1139 romsets are now supported!.
- Tehkan World Cup can now be played with two players using USB joypads. Thx to Pepe_Faruk.
- Small bugfix in the MMUHack flush-cache calls. Thx to Notaz.

Download it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Awesome news. Cant wait to give it a go.

On a slightly related side note, is it just me or is the clrmamepro website down? It seems to be dead for me, so im unable to re-audit my ROMs :(

Thanks Franxis!!
the new mmuhack fix is included or the actual works well?

Cool thanks for the great update.

The sample in Donkey Kong jr when you jump and land are weird though. It plays the sample twice followed by a loud BZZZZZZZZZZZZT. I just found it does this if you load another game first, then DKjr. If you load this one first it isn't as bad.

In Donkey Kong when he beats his chest it sounds staticky, maybe I have a bad sample?

Slaanesh do you maybe know why it does that? Does it do these same things for you? Maybe there is a better sample set out?

Thanks for the great work. Nice to see it getting better.

YAY!! Many thanks to you both for all your continued work on this :D :D

Just a query though;

"Note: Star Trek requires new sample set."

.... um, help (?) I found a larger Star Trek sample set, but the individual files are all .wav, instead of .sam ...

Glad to hear, that MAME continues. :) Yes, I had some Trouble with the Sond of Bobble Bobble for example.

It would be nice to see a list whith Games running fine with the DRZ80 core (and whcih Settings they are could need) The Wiki often is not up to date.

TelcoLou said:
YAY!! Many thanks to you both for all your continued work on this :D :D

Just a query though;

"Note: Star Trek requires new sample set."

.... um, help (?) I found a larger Star Trek sample set, but the individual files are all .wav, instead of .sam ...
I hope, GP2X Mame will support normal MAME .wav - files and this compressed in an archive. So we don't have to deal with exotic sample formats like this strange .sam -and I don't have to convert my PC-MAME-samples. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for releasing so quickly Franxis! :)

Any bug reports in regards to sound? Or any bug reports at all?

I'll have a look at Donkey Kong samples in regards to pops and squeaks see if something can be sorted out.

Optimizations in the Sega System 8 video hardware. Games like Choplifter running significantly better now.

is this something which would also boost the emulation speed of the gp32 version?

chaos engineer said:
Optimizations in the Sega System 8 video hardware. Games like Choplifter running significantly better now.
is this something which would also boost the emulation speed of the gp32 version?

Yes it is, it's all video related calculations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back