Mame Gp2x 3.9

slaanesh said:
Oh yeah, I've got Wizard of Wor working again.
Shreeeeek!!!!!

... wow, what memories that game stirs up .... I used to love the cacophony of sounds from all the different machines blaring away at the arcade, Wizard of Wor being one of the louder ones .. and MAN it made me laugh so hard while tripping :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for all your continued work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
Rivroner said:
Slaanesh can you see if it is possible to add sound to Wonder Boy in Monster Lair and Tumblepop and to correct the graphical errors in Wonder Boy in MonsterLand?

Thank you :)
I'll look into it.

Ummm... what's Tumblepop?

tumblep "Tumble Pop (bootleg set 1)"
tumblep2 "Tumble Pop (bootleg set 2)"

Tumble Pop

tumblep.png

Another question, is too much difficult to add games not supported yet but that are around 0.36 romset?

In the hunt or Wardner will be great :D :)

Wardner (I am playing Megadrive version but i like arcade too :p :D )

wardner.png

MASTER GAME = wardner , Wardner (World), Added 35rc2
CLONED GAME = pyros , Pyros (US), Added 35rc2
CLONED GAME = wardnerj , Wardner no Mori (Japan), Added 35rc2

In The Hunt

inthunt.png

MASTER GAME = inthunt , In The Hunt (World), Added 36b6
CLONED GAME = inthuntu , In The Hunt (US), Added 37b2
CLONED GAME = kaiteids , Kaitei Daisensou (Japan), Added 36b6

Asking things is free :D :p B)

imhotep said:
You'd probably like Snow Bros., Rivroner. Have you tried it?

snowbros.png
Of course :) :lol: It´s a very famous game,at least for me.

¿Have you tried Liquid Kids? Runs very well in GP2X Mame and is a very fun game:

liquidk.png

Between the 1140 supported games in GP2X MAME there is a lot of unknown must have games :)

Tumble Pop and Wardner should be doable. I'm doing the fixes for Wonder Boy and Monsterland at the moment. WBML is actually quite a neat game, was playing it for a bit.
Don Doko Don is another games similar to Tumble Pop, Snow Brothers, Bubble Bobble etc.

slaanesh said:
Don Doko Don is another games similar to Tumble Pop, Snow Brothers, Bubble Bobble etc.
Gee these games are almost a genre unto themselves. :lol:

Thanks for your continuing fixes, slaanesh. Awesome stuff.

Rivroner said:
¿Have you tried Liquid Kids? Runs very well in GP2X Mame and is a very fun game:

liquidk.png
Very nice. Quirky and cute.

The only request I have right now for sound fixes is Rygar

rygar.png

It's my favourite single player arcade game from my youth. It's so playable and intuitive even today. It actually runs very well on the GP2X apart from the sound. It scratches and pops and has missing bits.

Excellent work..

Is there anywhere I can read about mame explaining how it all hangs together?

Like adding specific game support - I see there is a file for many games in src/drivers/. I take it these are non-generic supporting those specific games? It appears not all games require these..?

If we(I) wanted to add (say) support for cosmicg (Cosmic Guerrilla), is the approach to check the hardware support is there and then pulling in the cosmicg.cpp file and 'fixing' compilation/link errors.

I guess this all depends on how far down the line support was added in the main mame dev branch?

I see the to-do list is getting longer :)

I'll have a look at Rygar too.

I've fixed Wonder Boy in Monster Land now. The graphics and sound are now good. As a neat side effect, it's cleaned up some sounds in Choplifter.

Cosmic Guerilla uses a currently non-supported CPU: TMS9980A/TMS9981
As a result this would be a major undertaking.

Ah - thanks for the response - fair enough, not a small job :)

I wasn't actually requesting you do anything (apart from reply to my post :)), just interested to know what would be involved.

One day I hope to have a bit of spare time to undertake some development work on the gp2x myself - but work just seems to pile up and up :(

Is there any chance the ROM sets could be updated to the newest MAME sets? I dont mean add in all the new games, i mean keep the games we have now but use the newer dumps of them.

Or maybe make them to MAME 0.112 sets which would be the 10th anniversary, so im sure plenty of people have this complete set as its not really your average release.

slaanesh said:
I'll have a look at Rygar too.
Thanks so much!

slaanesh said:
I've fixed Wonder Boy in Monster Land now. The graphics and sound are now good. As a neat side effect, it's cleaned up some sounds in Choplifter.
Rivroner will be thrilled. :D Is it common for sounds fixed in one game to impact on another? Choplifter is pretty fun. I used to play it a bit on the C64 back in the day.

Thought I'd have a play around with the gp2x dev environment this afternoon (should be working, but oh well :)).

Have installed Open2x dev environment on my laptop, built a small SDL test app after a bit of 'fixing paths, etc'.. I guess the .gpe will be fine on the gp2x - don't have it at work(!).

Now have installed your mame source and it's built (open2x - static - stripped size is 6280372 bytes)..
EDIT: actually will have to check if it was static - think with open2x it has to be as I think it uses different libs?????

Anyway, just to say that the only problem building was (and I guess it's not an issue under windows or whatever you use) that m68000.cpp (cyclone) included the file "M68000.h", which should have been "m68000.h" (lowercase m).

Just thought it may be of interest.

Am now interested to see if this will run :) unfortunately too busy tonight to try :(

EDIT: after trip round the harbour, fireworks, dancing, bar and bar ... etc found time and it all works :) but bit drinking... very pleased have dev setup now though!

Rivroner said:
In The Hunt

inthunt.png

MASTER GAME = inthunt , In The Hunt (World), Added 36b6
CLONED GAME = inthuntu , In The Hunt (US), Added 37b2
CLONED GAME = kaiteids , Kaitei Daisensou (Japan), Added 36b6
If it's IREM shmups we're requesting, I'd like to add in my request for both R-Types. Oh, and Outrun would be just lovely :)

D.

slaanesh said:
Tumble Pop and Wardner should be doable. I'm doing the fixes for Wonder Boy and Monsterland at the moment. WBML is actually quite a neat game, was playing it for a bit.
Tumble Pop i sworking now, it is in the list but has no sound.
Wardner in not supported, it is no t in the list o fsupported games.

Thank you :)

slaanesh said:
Oh yes, I've also added tilemapping code to MAME; this was introduced in MAME 0.35 and is useful for adding new games that rely on this approach to rendering graphics. As a bonus, it's sometimes a little bit faster.

Wow, that's great news! I remember a while back, I looked into backporting a driver for Pandora's Palace (a favorite of mine, if you like Donkey Kong, give it a try!), but its use of tilemaps threw a big monkeywrench into the gears. Hopefully, tilemap support would make more driver backports possible!

--Zero

I think there's something wrong with the sound in Berzerk... the samples seem to be working properly, but when the game talks, it only says one word rather than the whole sentance... specifically, it only says the last word. Instead of "get the humanoid", you just hear "humanoid", and instead of "coin detected in pocket", you just hear "pocket". If I'm not mistaken, each word is a seperate sample, so maybe MAME is queueing them all up, but losing everything but the last one? Frenzy is also affected by this (being a clone of Berzerk and all).

--Zero

imhotep said:
Rivroner will be thrilled. :D Is it common for sounds fixed in one game to impact on another? Choplifter is pretty fun. I used to play it a bit on the C64 back in the day.
It depends on the nature of the fix. Some drivers are shared amongst multiple games. Wonderboy in Monsterland and Choplifter use the same hardware and hence the same driver, so a fix in one can make a difference in the other.

Ze_ro said:
I think there's something wrong with the sound in Berzerk...
Yes, correct and well spotted... Fixed as well...
This bug was introduced in v3.9 - an oopsy that stuffed up a few games requiring samples. Gorf and Wizard of Wor were also badly effected.

Ze_ro said:
I looked into backporting a driver for Pandora's Palace (a favorite of mine, if you like Donkey Kong, give it a try!), but its use of tilemaps threw a big monkeywrench into the gears. Hopefully, tilemap support would make more driver backports possible!

Ah yes, I remember this game. I'll see if it will go in tonight.

I want to send off the source code changes to Franxis tomorrow so that he can release a new version.

Back