Man The Battery Life Is Crummy

I get around 2-2 1/2 hours out of my Energizer 2200mAH batteries.

Mind you thats probably cos I...

Can overclock to 280Mhz and do most of the time

Watch Movies and Play Games with the speakers and not headphones

But also it more likely has something to do with the fast charger I use which charges them in 15mins. I'd rather have my batteries charged fast than get that extra hour slow charging might give me.

Duracell 2650's give me about 4-5 hours.

... where have I seen this topic before?

Pair the batteries, number one rule with high-drain devices.

If you are "on-the-road" can you take a power adapter? I would do that if used in a car for instance.

I see 6:15 @ 200mhz with one more AA cell, 3 total (added on the back, connected in series with the two in the battery tray, you don't need to void the warranty to do it either).

nubie said:
I see 6:15 @ 200mhz with one more AA cell, 3 total (added on the back, connected in series with the two in the battery tray, you don't need to void the warranty to do it either).

In series? Isn't that a strange thing to do?

--

I get 4 hours+ generally from 2500s - they're so cheap nowadays for a changer and AAs (7dayshop often do clearance lines pairing them up), so imho there's little reason to complain about battery time..
If the gaming time is so worrying to people, I'd be inclined to invest a few quid - the gp2x cost enough, just go that extra mile :) - you wouldn't run a car with a crap battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, going from 2.4V to 3.6V helps the GP2X and it doesn't have to waste a small amount of power ramping up the voltage to something acceptable, so you end up with a higher uptime. It was established a long time ago that the best voltage for the GP2X seems to be about 3.7V

I use 7dayshop 2600's and get between 4-5 hours use off and on during the week out of it. So not that bad. Besides I got a set of 8 that I carry around with me in my bag so I'm not complaining :D

Do you guys that are getting 4-5 hours just use headphones or play with the sound off?

I use 2500mAh batteries with volume on close to full out of the speakers at 200MHz and get 4 hours.

Anyone fancy connecting an ammeter and seeing what current it draws at different clock-speeds..?
I get about 4 hours with speakers (quiet), and at 200MHz; I rarely overclock (that I know of).

edit: 2500mAh batteries.

Thinking about it a little, the displays we use at work, a major current drain is the backlight.. don't know anything about the gp2x hardware, but could this be the reason people may get widely differing times with batteries?? Or is it an LED-based backlight?

My 2700mAh's last around 5 hours, both running speakers or headphones (I do both, depending on wether or not i'm at home, or mobile) I've not noticed a big difference bewteen using speakers or not. I do not usually have the speakers set on full, but have them loud enough to hear everything.

The charger I use is a fast/trickle hybrid, it *fast* charges the batteries until if detects they are full, and the switches to tricklecharge to maintain them, I usually leave them in trickle charge mode for a couple of hours, my old charger and the same batteries, I get around 2 hours playtime, no matter how many times I charge them.

So the biggest factor for me at least, seems to be quaility of charger used.

kevcal said:
Anyone fancy connecting an ammeter and seeing what current it draws at different clock-speeds..?
I get about 4 hours with speakers (quiet), and at 200MHz; I rarely overclock (that I know of).

edit: 2500mAh batteries.

Thinking about it a little, the displays we use at work, a major current drain is the backlight.. don't know anything about the gp2x hardware, but could this be the reason people may get widely differing times with batteries?? Or is it an LED-based backlight?
Led Based, 6 I think. The MK1 and MK2 have very different LED circuits, and that may have something to do with it.

Probably has more to do with the sound and overclock and battery chargers and pairing the cells that are more closely matched though.

Ohh the battery life has forced me to nearly abandon my GP2x. I wish so much that it had the battery life of my [gigantic] Nintendo DS. I am trying to get someone to set my GP up with a Lithium Ion battery like the one in my DS or cellphone that charges via the USB. He is working on it but won't be able to do the modification till late june, he needs to learn a bit more about the connections and wait till we get a break to work on it. I think that is a good solution if it works. oh well, I have Pearl to keep me busy as well as the hellspawn (PSP) that I found. It was broken and I decided to nurse it back to health for the hell of it (even though it is evil).

I find it difficult to believe that ~2-4 hours play from 2 AAs isn't good enough for some people.. and then just savestate and swap 2 more in for another 2-4 hours..? I don't have the time to play games non-stop that long myself.

kevcal said:
I find it difficult to believe that ~2-4 hours play from 2 AAs isn't good enough for some people.. and then just savestate and swap 2 more in for another 2-4 hours..? I don't have the time to play games non-stop that long myself.
I think the problem is more that there is no warning when they are about to die.

What about the red battery led? It works very well actually, too bad it never works when you launch things with Gmenu2x :-/

The red LED lights up 3 minutes after i switch on my 2x, no matter what i do.
Anyway, my 3000mAh batteries last for about 5 1/2 hours. I rarely use earbuds.

Back