Manufacturing Costs Of The Pandora

Those lists are always unbelievable bullshit. I'm inclined to believe they are made by kids they are often so inaccurate.

The cost per Pandora was >$330. I've not got the exact figures, but in batch2 it does come down by a good amount mainly because the parts have slightly reduced in price and many set up costs have been paid.

The Pandora should have always been $349.99 though - we underestimated the costs of building something so complex with this technology, and if you look at the costs of similar devices you can see the cost was too low now.

craigix said:
Those lists are always unbelievable bullshit. I'm inclined to believe they are made by kids they are often so inaccurate.

I'm sure Apple would pay a lot less per item than OPT would, simply because instead of buying 4,000, they're buying millions and millions. Enough to keep a company running on their business alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:

The cost per Pandora was >$330. I've not got the exact figures, but in batch2 it does come down by a good amount mainly because the parts have slightly reduced in price and many set up costs have been paid.

The Pandora should have always been $349.99 though - we underestimated the costs of building something so complex with this technology, and if you look at the costs of similar devices you can see the cost was too low now.
Any news when you will start taking orders for batch 2?

^I would say sometime later, like in two month…
They're already trying to finish batch1.

craigix said:

I agree 100%. Sell overpriced t-shirts to make up for it! Or let people who bought it at the low price send you the difference in return for some exclusive sticker, like "Elite Pandora Supporter".

DynaMight said:
craigix said:

I'm sure Apple would pay a lot less per item than OPT would, simply because instead of buying 4,000, they're buying millions and millions. Enough to keep a company running on their business alone.

It's not that it's all too LOW it's that some of the costs are way too HIGH.

Just reeks of guess work from someone who isn't familiar with the current industry prices.

Was the price break down meant to be part of a larger article about the iphone4 or was it made up by someone who wanted to give the haters something to fight with?

If it was made for the haters to use, that $187.51 seems quite a pointless figure. As they say at the bottom, it doesn't account for manufacturing, software, royalties, licensing fees. Plus they don't even say anything about R&D. Seems they are going out of their way to be misleading with the total cost of a new hardware device.

Without the other items involved the hardware doesn't mean anything.

Just to state some obvious things: The cost of development for something like the iPhone are pretty high, depending on how you cut it. The iOS development costs alone are pretty large, development, testing, and prototyping of the chipset and hardware, distribution, returns, etc. The manufacturing costs vs. the retail price difference is useful for determining the profits from sales of course, but only after all the work has been done.

I am no hater nor am I a Apple fanboi.
Trying to be neutral is what I do. I might have the chance to get an iPhone4 for a lot less then its original price.
If I get this chance I will use it ;)
As most here I am aware of the fact that material price is not all. Further I know that there are at least 1 million iPhones4 sold already or at least pre-ordered. If anyone has accurate numbers, they are welcome :)

Here is a, maybe still naive calculation:
$1000-$200 = $800 is what they get per iPhone ($1000 was the price of their last, this might be more expensive).
1 million units sold: $800000000.
Let's say Apple pays, not what he gets, is $200000 a year. Then they can employ 4000 engineers (electronic-, software-, mechanical-, all-kinds-of-engineers and scientist). I think that is possible. Don't forget, they didn't "invent" the whole phone. they upgraded the existing ones. Like if OPT would do a Panda2. It would be faster and more easier then Panda1 where they had to learn stuff.

Oh back to apple, the marketing cost would be paid by the nd million phones. ;)

Back