Midori Is Unstable? Now We Have Chromium

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
http://maemoarena.com/2010/04/google-chrome-for-nokia-n900-now-available-for-download/

Ported to maemo, but i think it's not a problem to recompile it for Andstrom.
It has flash support and passes acid3.

I personally don't like this Google (aka Big Brother) creature, but it may be interesting for somebody.

I recognized it. What I was wondering, is the flash plugin integrated in Chromium or is it taken from Maemo?

mali said:
I recognized it. What I was wondering, is the flash plugin integrated in Chromium or is it taken from Maemo?
I don't know for sure, but I guess they've just stolen libflashplayer.so (flash v9) from Maemo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to get people's hopes up... but I've been involved in the beta development of Flash CS5 as well as the new "Open Sourcening" of the 10.1 Flash player, and there's been alot of chatter with the developers about Google taking Adobe Flash player 10.1 "On board" with Chrome, and integrating it as a part of the browser rather than through a plugin system. If that were the case with Chromium too, and Chromium was ported as a whole to Pandora, could that mean working Flash player 10.1?

I hope so!

Midori isn't unstable afaik.. ED found aurora to perform much better so we might switch to that built in..

Jeff

I actually think that Chromium has a much better "light-weightedness : performance" ratio among {Midori,Arora,Chromium} so if the choice were between Arora and Chromium I'd say Chromium (→ better extensions, better caching, better Javascript, better supported by web pages since Chrome is the fourth most popular browser in the world or something).

skeezix said:
Midori isn't unstable afaik.
Midori is a little unstable. I use it as my primary browser and get the occasional crash, but that's usually related to flash. Even if Arora is made the default, I'll still use Midori just to make it easy to keep all my bookmarks synchronized. Not like flash'll be causing problems on the Pandora for a good while.

Don't worry kaprikawn - there's none of that "usage statistics" tracking in Chromium - only Google Chrome. ;)

+1 for Chromium. Or Opera, if they have an ARM port. :lol:

dflemstr said:
I actually think that Chromium has a much better "light-weightedness : performance" ratio among {Midori,Arora,Chromium} so if the choice were between Arora and Chromium I'd say Chromium (→ better extensions, better caching, better Javascript, better supported by web pages since Chrome is the fourth most popular browser in the world or something).

All of them are webkit browsers, so I would think they're relatively similar in their ability to display web pages properly. I don't think it really makes a difference support wise. I think most developers probably don't check whether Chrome displays their websites properly anyways...I know I never do. I just check Firefox and IE (because we KNOW IE will have a problem somewhere...). I was looking at DingooWiki stats and Firefox usage last month was 50%, IE 20%, and Chrome was wayyyyy back at 9.4%.

If they pass Acid3, they'll probably display just fine.

Chrome does have a faster javascript engine. But, what does all the "speediness" mean for ram usage is my question. We KNOW firefox probably wouldn't be a good choice based on ram usage, but I'm skeptical as to whether Chromium would be better than midori.

When I do websites, I don't even bother making it work with internet explorer. I just have a little pop-up that says Hey, some features of this website will not work with IE. Please consider installing one of these great alternatives.

Wolenber said:
When I do websites, I don't even bother making it work with internet explorer. I just have a little pop-up that says Hey, some features of this website will not work with IE. Please consider installing one of these great alternatives.

That would be acceptable for my personal projects, but unfortunately when you work for others, IE compatibility is relatively important. That was a nightmare when IE7 adoption was low, and I had to get PNG transparency to work on IE6.

puppydee: Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything we can really do about that except hope...

dflemstr said:
We can suggest Uzbl too, because this browser is more flexible than any other.
You can build any extension you want using bash or python, perl, lua script, and more!

(well some javascript bugs in some web pages but, this project just born 1 year ago)

I personally want chromium
if possible ill be installing it as soon as i get the pandora/been ported

only thing id be worry about is, i do think chrome is very ram expensive, (but then again you really shouldnt be doing much multi-tasking on a hand-held)

Kramy said:
Or Opera, if they have an ARM port. :lol:
Sure there is, but you'll have to run Symbian. :-\ Or buy an Opera Devices license, I suppose.

Multiplex said:
Kramy said:
Or Opera, if they have an ARM port. :lol:
Sure there is, but you'll have to run Symbian. :-\ Or buy an Opera Devices license, I suppose.
Opera 9 was part of the older Maemo releases (not the version which runs on N900, but it did run on the older devices). So there's a Linux version around as well. Licensed through Nokia though.

Ollonk said:
I know that Chromium is the original project and that Google Chrome is a fork of sorts, but what are the major differences?

Google supports chrome directly
(pretty sure thats it, although things like send to google such as bookmark sync may not be in chromium)

Back