Midori Is Unstable? Now We Have Chromium

Wouldn't chrome be bad because it runs each tab in its own subprocess? (and pandora has only 256 MB of RAM)

Alec  said:
Wouldn't chrome be bad because it runs each tab in its own subprocess? (and pandora has only 256 MB of RAM)
How much RAM does a process take? I mean come on... it shouldn't be more than a couple of kilobytes.

On the Chrome vs Chromium issue:
Chromium is an open source project like e.g. Firefox or Midori. Then, regularly, Google will take a stable build of Chromium, add stuff like a H264 codec, built-in Flash support (yes, in Chrome 4.** or 5.**, Google will embed a Flash player in Chrome itself; no need for separate plugins) and then release it. They can't include the codecs and other proprietary blobs in the OSS version, for obvious reasons, so that's why they release a proprietary version.

On the issue of performance:
Chromium *might* have issues when it comes to performance, because of how the chromium engine is built... For instance, each tab is sandboxed so that if it is compromised, it can be isolated completely from the rest of the browser; this requires some extra layers of code to achieve, though → not so good for perf. Also, chromium will double-buffer the rendering of all web pages, which leads to blazingly fast rendering speeds but means ~1MB more RAM usage per opened tab. Small issues like that will lead to worse than ideal performance. Most of these issues can be fixed via command line args to chromium, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Alec  said:
How much RAM does a process take? I mean come on... it shouldn't be more than a couple of kilobytes.

On the Chrome vs Chromium issue:
Chromium is an open source project like e.g. Firefox or Midori. Then, regularly, Google will take a stable build of Chromium, add stuff like a H264 codec, built-in Flash support (yes, in Chrome 4.** or 5.**, Google will embed a Flash player in Chrome itself; no need for separate plugins) and then release it. They can't include the codecs and other proprietary blobs in the OSS version, for obvious reasons, so that's why they release a proprietary version.

On the issue of performance:
Chromium *might* have issues when it comes to performance, because of how the chromium engine is built... For instance, each tab is sandboxed so that if it is compromised, it can be isolated completely from the rest of the browser; this requires some extra layers of code to achieve, though → not so good for perf. Also, chromium will double-buffer the rendering of all web pages, which leads to blazingly fast rendering speeds but means ~1MB more RAM usage per opened tab. Small issues like that will lead to worse than ideal performance. Most of these issues can be fixed via command line args to chromium, though.

Dflemstr will release a build of chromium: Confirmed?

dflemstr said:

Also, chromium will double-buffer the rendering of all web pages, which leads to blazingly fast rendering speeds but means ~1MB more RAM usage per opened tab. Small issues like that will lead to worse than ideal performance.

I think you lost your argument somewhere along there.

(sorry if I seem like a jerk, but I've been playing so much Ace Attorney recently that I can't ignore a good contradiction :D )

fearofshorts said:
dflemstr said:

Also, chromium will double-buffer the rendering of all web pages, which leads to blazingly fast rendering speeds but means ~1MB more RAM usage per opened tab. Small issues like that will lead to worse than ideal performance.

(sorry if I seem like a jerk, but I've been playing so much Ace Attorney recently that I can't ignore a good contradiction :D )
As you can see, I say later in the post that that option can be disabled. Your move.

dflemstr said:
fearofshorts said:
dflemstr said:

As you can see, I say later in the post that that option can be disabled. Your move.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dhi_Lv2O7Cg/S3-0iSFwl7I/AAAAAAAAAH8/vZLOSpltWs0/s1600-h/Takethat.gif
:lol:

Back