Mini Metal Pandora

Realize that you still need to pay for time on the CNC machine and related such as wear on tool bits. While Aluminum will tend to be cheaper to machine thanks to being on the softer side you are still talking about doing full out machining with reasonably tight tolerances on multiple features. The keymat, speaker ports and related would in general tend to be better served by plastic.

Hm 10$ to 17$ sounds better than 250$ to 1000$. :)

I'd pay up to 100$ for a nice durable metal case but I guess that's just me...

It would be cheap for the group to set up the tooling to die press the outer skin of the shell out of stainless(satin finish I would hope), or aluminum, maybe even titanium thought that might be a bit spendy, then send those to a plastic injection firm. After the initial high cost of tooling, If a good number where ordered it would be cheap cheap. They could also do the same with rubberization. Injection plastic case with a urethane over. It would be very durable, though now that I think of it, it could be hard to take out of the pocket. Maybe just a few rubberized pads on the stainless...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, after a failed attempt at cutting them though (so that the keys were all little holes) a combination of etched and holed version looks like it's a success.

We're also hoping (but I can't promise this yet) that each one will be numbered.

I thought the most easy method would be to just machine press the pattern in the metal, so all the structures like keys are just a Relief. ^^

Right, after a failed attempt at cutting them though (so that the keys were all little holes) a combination of etched and holed version looks like it's a success.

We're also hoping (but I can't promise this yet) that each one will be numbered.

If the keys are visible it must mean it's an 'open' Pandora...

If the keys are visible it must mean it's an 'open' Pandora...

What a cool idea, a clockwork Pandora.

It could have a few clear plastic or polycarbonate panels too so you could see the best bits of hardware from the outside...

Craigx: I would also figure they would be water cutting early prototypes, when you say etch is that electro etch or air stream or...?

It would be nice to see surface embellishments like engraved Mexican pin striping(is that a racist term?). and again in large numbers it wouldn't cost more then a few dollars a case in worst case.

Another little thing I have always dreamed about when I dreamed about this type of form factor is a safe stash spot to store spare SD cards. I dislike overcrowding my cards, and I would like to pretend it is an old cart system,

Just had another unreasonable idea, probibly start a law suit. but how about a Pandora that looks like an original nes when it is closed? wouldn't even need to change a thing about the form factor. Unless you wanted to be able to use the cart door to hide the SD slots(even cooler). Then the inside could have the gray background with red buttons. I am drooling now...

Anyways I guess it is time to get back to reality. Not to mention OP needs to keep it's own identity. It was all just a dream.

Yeah, sorry, I'm a 3 year waiter on the actual pandora :)

I've got a weird dilemma, I really want to support the project some more, but don't want to spend as much as £40 without having something to show for it (especially since I still don't have my Pandora). I'd be grumpy if I ordered a keyring and it turned out there weren't any left, but I'd never be able to ask for a refund, given the run of full refunds people are demanding from Craig just now.

A bu**err, it I'll buy one anyway.

Still no pix of this little Metal thingy? It's not that complicated like the real Pandora I hope. But again it looks that aome things seems to be more complicated than OPTeam thought...

I'm trying very hard to stay positive on this.

We bought a bunch of dodads in the full knowledge that they were overpriced and being used as a fundraiser - and several of us donated on top of that - for the purposes of supporting the Pandora project. That part isn't in question. Our support was asked for and given.

The dodads (keychain thingys) turned out to be more complex to create than originally thought and will be delayed. OK - any progress?

While we're waiting, can you tell us a story to keep our minds occupied? How much was raised by this fundraiser and how is it being used to support the Pandora project &/or community?

Thank you,

Grench

I don't want to post a pic of the test versions, I want to post the final full detail numbered ones as they should look absolutely superb, they have every key!

Back