MIPI woes, good design ideas and headaches

You mean like a 'arcade panel dock' for the Pyra?

That would be pretty damn sweet

Actually, there isn't any real technical reason why someone would not be able to build a full size stand up arcade machine with a 24" 1080p screen and full size joysticks run off of a Pyra.

Kind of contrary to purpose - but I don't see any reason not to. Is anyone really into cabinetry?

Is there a reason why the bottom part cant unscrew alone, should the battery bulge?

Just where the screws are now, at the point where all the ports are across.

So its normally a sliding door, with a hatch, and then that part screws onto the rest of the device from underneath.

The battery cover design on the Pandora is fine as-is. Just use a better plastic and slightly thicker tabs.

The battery cover on my Pandora is hopeless in practice, even if the design is spot on. I've had to wedge so many bit of paper in there to stop the battery losing contact that it's now a long and fraught operation to get the battery lid off without snapping the tabs.

Like I said before, already have soft material in there or a spring on the side.

The battery cover on my Pandora is hopeless in practice, even if the design is spot on. I've had to wedge so many bit of paper in there to stop the battery losing contact that it's now a long and fraught operation to get the battery lid off without snapping the tabs.
But that's simply due to the fact the the battery compartment is not 100% the size of the battery PCB.

Like I said before, already have soft material in there or a spring on the side.
That was my original idea as well, but would increase costs quite a bit as well and is unnecessary.

While the cell of the battery has some tolerances, the PCB with the contacts has the same width on all batteries.

So the battery compartment would work fine if it had the width of the PCB - but it doesn't, it's actually a bit wider.

I am new here. I stumbled upon this by searching for the Pandora. However, if this in the works, I think I can wait and accumulate money for it.

By the sound of it, the Pyra is going to be a beast. I like the idea of having two shoulder buttons. It would make playing playstation 1 games a lot easier. As for the SoC, it would be interesting if an A8 could be used. It would make it on par with the Nexus 5.

Anyway, keep up the work. I am looking forward to hearing more about the developments of this device; as well as playing with one of these devices.

While the cell of the battery has some tolerances, the PCB with the contacts has the same width on all batteries.

So the battery compartment would work fine if it had the width of the PCB - but it doesn't, it's actually a bit wider.
Oh, does that mean you are going make the battery wider? I mean, I guess you could make the compartmentsmaller, but still.

Shapes could work,   but as stated, there is an inherent ambiguity with using numbers or letters due to the fact that there are already buttons with those names.
I would use different colors and no symbols... "press the red key".

Symbols are most definately needed.

Whatever we emulate the buttons cannot represent every console variant so why not take that step and go original?

Why not just stay standard, a layout most people are use to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Colors could be cool, but would probably have an extra cost (different paint colors). And even with colors we also need symbols for the color-blind.

For backwards compatibility it is most important that Home/End/PgUp/PgDn are in the same positions as on the Pandora (a dpad shape). The buttons don't necessarily have to be labeled in the same way, although it would of course be confusing if they end up getting labelled with the same letters (ABXY) in a different order.

Where would the 2 extra buttons be placed? That would have an impact on how you label the buttons.

What about using Delta - Pi - Omega - Chi for the 4 "main"  buttons (Δ Π Ω X), and e.g. Sigma and Psi for the 2 new buttons (Σ Ψ)?

Δ
Π   Ω
   X

These are all recognizable as unambiguous new symbols (except for X, but that's OK because it's in the same spot as before), and yet they resemble the PlayStation symbols quite a bit :)

They also make some sense: Pi (the first letter of Pyrrha) is the first button (the same as A on the Pandora), it maps to Home. Omega (the last letter of the Greek alphabet) maps to End. Delta looks like a triangle pointing up, and it maps to PageUp (also it's a D which could refer to Dragonbox). Chi looks like an X and that's also how it's labeled on the Pandora.

That was my original idea as well, but would increase costs quite a bit as well and is unnecessary.
Lol, seriously? A little bit piece of foam or a simple (leaf)spring that holds the battery in place is a matter of costs?  :rolleyes:  I'm sure it will not matter much in a €500+ Euro device. I'm sure it would be the cheapest way to improve the current battery part of the Pandora.

Symbols are most definately needed.
170px-Prince_logo.svg.png

:rolleyes:

Its easier to use letters instead of symbols because many games just have text to describe their game controls. Would be more effort to use graphical symbols there imho. What's wrong with A B C D X Y?  "Keep It Simple Stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Lol, seriously? A little bit piece of foam or a simple (leaf)spring that holds the battery in place is a matter of costs?  :rolleyes:  I'm sure it will not matter much in a €500+ Euro device. I'm sure it would be the cheapest way to improve the current battery part of the Pandora.
Foam isn't really a solution, only the spring is.

And that spring needs to be included in the case design somehow, which makes it expensive.

But why should such foam or spring even be necessary, when the case design can simply be made to properly fit the battery?

Back