Moderation: Changes

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you probably have read on other threads, there has been a small fight between our moderator Kumaki and some other board members.

As a result, she stepped back from being a moderator, and I'll just use this thread to announce that.

Kumaki, thanks for your help with moderation. We hope you will stay here as regular member. Maybe moderation was not your job, but that's nothing to be concerned with.

Not everyone is suited to be a mod, but there are other things where you can help out as well.

However, I'd like to give you (and everyone else reading this) some advice.

I've now had the time to check the fights that happened and analyzed the reasons.

Kumaki, to me it seems you have made some very emotional posts that when you were angry.

It's not a good idea to post when you're pissed off or angry.

Have some good hot chocolate, coffee or tea (or whatever you like), calm down, and then post again.

Your thread "You Just Cost Open Pandora Money" was way over the line and reminded me of a 13year old teenager who doesn't know how to behave, but certainly not like it has been posted by an adult woman.

Calming down would've helped here a lot.

You posted that the community is NOT helpful, that some hate you and that newbies are not being handled properly.

In my opinion, this is definitely not true.

I've yet to find anyone who hates you here.

I am very happy about this community - it is a very helpful one. You can have fun with everyone here, you can ask questions and get help, it's lot better than most other communities I've seen on the internet.

However, as the question, so the answer:

If you post something like "WHAT THE FUCK THIS STUFF ISN'T WORKING, WHAT THE HELL"), you will either be ignored (as people don't want to reply to questions posted like that), some might even answer and some will tell you that's no way to ask a question (in a more or less nice way, depending on the person).

(Yes, I know Kumaki didn't post it THAT bad, I just exaggerated a bit).

When something doesn't work as it should, ask politely.

Something like:

"Hey. I wanted to try out EasyRPG, as I'd love some of the RPGMaker games... however, I've run into some issues, maybe someone here could help me? When I run it, nothing happens. The screen flickers, but that's it, I'm back to the desktop."

Not "Now what do I get? A big bloody nothing, that's what!!" (especially bad in Caps).

If you ask questions like that, you will get polite answers.

So asking properly is a good way to get answers without provoking a flame war.

However, we all know that it sometimes can happen you post something you really shouldn't have, especially if you're pissed off the moment you have posted this.

If that happens, it's not the end of the world.

But there is ONE important thing to remember:

A fight can ONLY happen, if at least TWO persons are involved!

So you posted something that didn't sound as nice as it could have and someone pissed you off for that?

Fine. Tell him (or her) you're sorry, you were in a bad mood when you posted that, you didn't want to sound rude. And that's it.

If someone provokes you - don't take it and don't provoke back.

Otherwise, a fight will occur and you will NOT be any better than the other one.

Don't feed the trolls is wise here as well.

This is not just an advice for Kumaki, but to everyone else as well.

I know how hard it is sometimes to NOT fight back, there were a few times where I had been attacked and behaved the same... which resulted into ugly flame wars.

It's NOT easy, but the best way to come along.

Now, is this forum doomed and bad?

Definitely not!

We've got 400 daily visitors, over 7000 members.

We now had a fight between Kumaki and mostly ZXDunny.

That was the biggest I've seen for a long time.

So, one fight each few months with a board of that size?

That's a VERY good quota.

I really hope that post helped everyone a bit.

Don't worry Kumaki - no one hates you. But you should try to not react to provocations and not post when you're pissed off by a program.

I'm sure you'll get along nicely with everyone here :)

I can't "like" this (mostly because I've exhausted my "like" quotas for the day), but I do like this.  Well said, ED.  I'm going to try harder myself as well....I've been a real equine's hindquarters recently.  I owe you all a better Franko....and I'm going to start now.  From now on - no more swearing.  I guess that I don't always need to make a point or win an argument.  I also just wanted to bump this thread up so that it'd get noticed.  Your words (and actions) are a beacon to many here, and I'm humbled and a bit embarrassed by my own words recently.

I pretty sure ED just handled that far better than any of us mods could have done.

Three cheers for devilish reptilian monsters!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the majority of the riffraff are off the boards now the new moderating team are way better than the one at the start, they deal with problems rather than bad mouth which i took alot of at the start just im more thick skinned than most also alot of the instigators are gone aswell there are still a few lurking the forums (who will remain nameless you know who you are) but when they dont have the numbers they remain silent (thankfully)

Occasional fights on forums are to be expected and I don't care much about them. This is an unusually good forum, to go with a nearly miraculous piece of hardware. I'm amazed they managed to pull it off (hardware, software and community).

Now that the preorder poll is out, there will hopefully be faster funding of the remaining preorder units. If sales of new units continue, there is a chance that all preorders will get fulfilled. (It's still uncertain whether this will happen though.)

I really love the Pandora and the people who made it happen. Cheers!

/me applauds -  I've been lurking (as a mod too) and I didn't want to approach this particular situation with a 10 foot pole... So glad EvilDragon lived up to the opposite  of his name yet again! :)

Well, ED...now that I have had a little time to calm down and de-stress...yeah, I'll probably hang out and remain in the community.

Suffice to say I did not much appreciate the way certain members treated me, and leave it go at that.

I bnever did say that the community was not helpful...in fact, the community normally is very helpful.  For which I am grateful.

What I DID say was that the way things were going could give a newbie the impression that this was not a helpful, friendly community.

So, I felt the need to clear that particular misquote up.

I still do want to give something back to this community, what I can.

I DO Mod on other Boards that I own...and I am just plain not used to being handled as roughly as I was.  On those Boards, I'm always treated respectfully.  It is much easier to Mod when you don't have someone deliberately needling you and doing everything humanly possible (all within the strictest interpretation of Forum rules) to annoy you and pick fights.

Whoever was right or wrong in the whole mess is immaterial.  I have my view, and it will remain my view.  It seems that EVERY Forum has one or two members who know very well exactly how to play the rules - following their every word, while violating their every spirit and intent.

But noneed to discuss that any further, it has been hashed out enough.

Obviously, Modding is not something I am capable of doing here...where some members are allowed to do everything humanly possible to pick and pick and needle and annoy.  However, I would like to contribute what I can.

And if you find something I CAN do, ED, I would be happy to do so.  Because I can't code my way out of a paper bag...as I'm sure most of you know, given that I seem to need a lot of hand-holding to make complicated things work.

I originally stepped forward and offered myself up as a Mod, because the call was issued, and  I felt it was SOMETHING I could do to give back.  And it could have been.  But that is ancient history now.

For those who questuoned why someone would be a Mod who doesn't know basic coding/Linux, etc...I say that was part of my entire idea when I offered myself as a Mod.  If I were to do this work...then others, whose skills could be put to better use...would be free to do just that.  One does not require any technical skills or coding knowledge in order to Mod a board...even one about Linux, coding, programming, etc.

All that said...there must be SOME work that is being done by people around here - whose skills could be put to better use by taking some of the load of scut-work off thier hands.  And, as time finds me available, I am happy to volunteer to do that sort of thing.

Peace.

Ooh!  Didn't know Kumaki's a she!  Sorry if I've been calling you "man"!
That is okay.  It is common in gaming forums for everyone to assume everyone is a guy.

Because girl gamers are fairly rare.  But we do exist.

Just glad the mess is hopefully sorted. The arguing is a black eye on the scene.

Well, ED...now that I have had a little time to calm down and de-stress...yeah, I'll probably hang out and remain in the community.
Glad to hear that :)
I bnever did say that the community was not helpful...in fact, the community normally is very helpful.  For which I am grateful.

What I DID say was that the way things were going could give a newbie the impression that this was not a helpful, friendly community.
Ahh, okay. I read that wrong then, sorry. Even better that way :)

I DO Mod on other Boards that I own...and I am just plain not used to being handled as roughly as I was.  On those Boards, I'm always treated respectfully.  It is much easier to Mod when you don't have someone deliberately needling you and doing everything humanly possible (all within the strictest interpretation of Forum rules) to annoy you and pick fights.
Well, if you OWN the boards, you will ALWAYS be treated with more respect.If they piss you off, you could close the boards, so people are always careful. And as the admin, you are almighty as well ;)

I don't know how big your boards. The more members you have, the more likely you'll have someone who will argue with you.

Also, are your boards locally or international?

This is an international board - which makes things a bit harder. There are a lot more misunderstandings because of the language barrier.

My English is pretty good, however, sometimes I also misunderstand something.

And if you find something I CAN do, ED, I would be happy to do so.  Because I can't code my way out of a paper bag...as I'm sure most of you know, given that I seem to need a lot of hand-holding to make complicated things work.
Even helping others what you learned during your Pandora experience is giving something back.You neither need to be mod nor code :)

However, I always have work... I'll open a new thread, as this is something everyone can help out :)  

Thanks, ED.

I will be glad to undertake some small projects as time permits.

Look forward to that thread.

As to my Boards, they are VERY small.  While not restricted to the United States, I believe all or most of my members ARE from the U.S.

The RPG Forum has about six members - I started it when a friend who WAS running a Board...called it quits.  That was a small Board then...and pretty much the same for this other Board.  We are all friends there, anyway...not that we have ever met in person...well, except that I did meet one of them on a trip to Florida.

The other Board is actually a text-based RPG based on Seth able's Legend Of the Red Dragon...if you remember that from the old BB door days.

The game is Legend Of The Green Dragon...and mine is one of maybe 200 different servers all running their own versions of that game.  But my game has never gotten really huge.  At it's height, before the economy crashed, I had maybe twenty active players...now there's about four.

So they are small Boards.  and, yeah, the fact that I own them DOES make Modding easier...not that I haven't had a member or two over the years who needed to get plunked really hard.

Back