MSX emulation

Timstertoo

I was looking for a trip down memory lane so I downloaded the emulator MSX.emu and after that the one called just MSX.

Popped in couple of my old favorite disks in the correct folder but only 2 will boot and only one is playable.

Does anyone have experience with this?

What I'm wondering is:

Which emulator should provide the best results?
Could the problem lie with the disk files I have or is this normal behaviour?

I had issues with both emulators in the past, but in the end I solved compiling myself the last version of OpenMSX, unluckily I didn't do a PND at the time, and then the display died and didn't do much to finish it...

It might help those familiar if you post the game titles

Booted and worked:

Auf Wiedersehen Monty

Booted started but controls did nothing":

Payload

Got the blue MSX screen but couldn't find a file to run:

Arkanoid
River Raid
Road Fighter
Starquake

And what I tried was "DIR" and as I loaded the files into disk A "A>DIR"

Back in the late 80's, when I was still in school, my friends and I were always arguing which was better... MSX vs Commodore 64

Though it had a couple of good games, forget emulating MSX... C64 is better anyway ;)

Back in the late 80's, when I was still in school, my friends and I were always arguing which was better... MSX vs Commodore 64

Though it had a couple of good games, forget emulating MSX... C64 is better anyway ;)

Ha!

Although it's hard to argue that the C64 and the Amiga didn't have more and better games the MSX was a great system and by pure specs should've been the winner. Bit of a Betamax vs VHS situation :)

I had a Spectravideo with built in 3,5" dd and was loading games in seconds while my friends on their C64's where waiting 15 minutes for their tapes to load.

I'm mainly obsessed by Starquake. I've come so closed to finishing but was never able to nail it. 30 years later I'm suddenly getting this urge to fix that. Maybe a nerd's way of having a mid life crisis. :) Maybe it will work on a pc emulator and I can get some closure.

I was looking for a trip down memory lane so I downloaded the emulator MSX.emu and after that the one called just MSX.

Popped in couple of my old favorite disks in the correct folder but only 2 will boot and only one is playable.

Does anyone have experience with this?

What I'm wondering is:

Which emulator should provide the best results?
Could the problem lie with the disk files I have or is this normal behaviour?

A bunch of ROMs that I have are working perfectly fine - the dsk files are usually the problem (some do work though).
I tested roms for Arkanoid 1 and 2 and River Raid and all work ok (using the msx emulator from zx81)

couldn't find a rom of Starquake and the dsk file fails

[Edit] Got Starquake working as well! Needed a different dsk (compilation) Had the following settings - sound enabled - music fm-pac no - music module no. MSX2 and ram size 512 kb.
PM me if you need more details ;)- we can talk Dutch

Back