Nintendo 64 Emulation

dooradley

Still Fresh
The N64 is my all time favorite system. The main reason I'm interested in the Pandora is in the hopes that it can emulate the N64 perfectly. I'm wondering if anyone can provide any info whatsoever on whether or not anyone is working on a port? And if so, is it a port of the PC version that has almost 100% compatibility or another xbox or psp port which doesn't emulate every game out there.
The thought of playing Goldeneye/ Perfect Dark/ Blast Corps/ Rogue Squadron/ Zelda/ etc all on one handheld is a dream for me. This system seems to have the capabilities...it certainly has the controls for it.
So...make me happy...tell me its gonna happen...and don't lie!

Yes we know everyone like the N64 , I like it too. Pandora is not a PC. No one is developing an emulator right. Yes we know you like N64 , I like them too. We cant make you happy right now , maybe later, someone will start on it eventually.

How about "it's probably going to happen"? The Pandora theoretically has the juice to do it, but it won't by any means be easy from what I understand. And there's a good chance that someone could put a lot of work into it only to come up just short of 100% speed. First someone has to actually start working on it, though.
So to summarize: it's reasonable to believe it will happen, but until someone actually tries we won't know for sure.

Noone believed we would get a half-decent SNES emu for GP32. Then, one day, we got OpenSNES9x, which blew our minds...
Noone thought we would see a near-fullspeed GBA emulator on the GP2x. Give it some years, and we had GpSP, we jizzed in our pants...

Judging from this, I'm very optimistic about a near-fullspeed N64 emulator for the pandora in the future. The question is rather when than if (in MY opinion).

Thanks for the quick responses. I've got high hopes but I'll hold off on buying this system until I at least see someone is working on it. The other capabilities of the system are impressive but I have 3 other systems that can do that stuff already, possibly better.
I wish someone would just build a handheld from the ground up for N64 emulation. I'd buy it in a second.

why don't you mod one up yourself? It's not emulation, it's the actual hardware in handheld form: guaranteed to run 100% speed with 100% compatibility ;)

WizardStan posted on May 19 2009 at 07:28 PM) why don't you [URL="http://benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_projects/N64p/N64p_page1.htm said:
mod one up[/URL] yourself? It's not emulation, it's the actual hardware in handheld form: guaranteed to run 100% speed with 100% compatibility ;"]
I could think of a few reasons, like size and battery life. Even though N64 emulation is the main reason he'd want a Pandora I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a device that could do other things.

Emulators also offer nice benefits like graphical enhancement, save states, cheats, not having to lug around a bunch of relatively large cartridges (good luck buying an N64 flash cart, it's almost impossible), speed up where possible.. N64 emulators have even offered support for alternate texture packs. Which can be pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan I totally would if I had the know-how.
If you search Youtube for 'portable n64' you'd see someone did just that. He used a portable screen, stereo speakers...even built in a rechargeable battery. He ended up selling it on ebay for $600. I'd love one but I'm not insane :)
For that price I'd just set up a dedicated laptop or something for it and hook it up to my TV.

I'd just basically like something small enough to fit in my pocket with enough memory to hold all the N64 games I'd want to play, with enough buttons to emulate the controls of that system. The Pandora has all that...but can it be done. I'll wait anxiously!

I also had hoped to purchase a Pandora but then I found out that a USB toaster would drain the battery a lot so I've decided to hold out until there is further progress on USB toaster compatibility. Let me tell you that so far I am disappointed.

Username posted on May 19 2009 at 10:12 PM said:
I also had hoped to purchase a Pandora but then I found out that a USB toaster would drain the battery a lot so I've decided to hold out until there is further progress on USB toaster compatibility. Let me tell you that so far I am disappointed.
I was hoping it would power the new usb microwave, but they can't certify it.

Chris

No need to make fun of him, folks, it's a valid position to take.

I too think that an N64 emulator is quite likely, though we will have to wait a while. Heck, if someone's currently working on a Dreamcast emulator for this system and saying that there's a good chance of decent speeds (with video evidence to prove it), I'd say that N64 isn't a far stretch at all.

, I'd say that N64 isn't a far stretch at all.
An emulator with excellent compatibility and speed is not very likely. If someone was going to write one from scratch then I would say it probably is possible, but most likely it will be a port of a pc project where a very fast processor can be counted on. In other words, pc emulators usually don't put the emphasis on getting it to run on slower hardware because they know the pc will grow into it. Hopefully someone will prove how wrong I am. But until it's announced, assume it won't happen.

Chris

Yes, but over the years I'm sure someone will optimize it for the Pandora.

Sure a port of a pc emu would be a bad idea, but that's where daedalus comes in. I'm still convinced strmnnrmn is working on a pandora port. Maybe he's even registered here under another pseudonym, who knows?

christo930 posted on May 19 2009 at 08:30 PM) [quote="Esn posted on May 20 2009 at 01:15 AM said:
No need to make fun of him, folks, it's a valid position to take.

I too think that an N64 emulator is quite likely, though we will have to wait a while. Heck, if someone's currently working on a Dreamcast emulator for this system and saying that there's a good chance of decent speeds (with video evidence to prove it"], I'd say that N64 isn't a far stretch at all.
An emulator with excellent compatibility and speed is not very likely. If someone was going to write one from scratch then I would say it probably is possible, but most likely it will be a port of a pc project where a very fast processor can be counted on. In other words, pc emulators usually don't put the emphasis on getting it to run on slower hardware because they know the pc will grow into it. Hopefully someone will prove how wrong I am. But until it's announced, assume it won't happen.

Chris[/quote]Yes, a port of a PC emulator would be extremely slow. However, I don't think that anyone who would go through the trouble to port an N64 emulator would port a PC emulator, they would be more likely to port Daedalus, even if it is highly optimized for the PSP. Also, I believe we already have one user who said they plan to write one from scratch, but they don't want to use HLE, so it may take a while before their emu is up to scratch for the N64 crowd.

-God Ginrai

Not using HLE is probably a total dead end. I don't see enough potential in emulating the RSP using NEON, it's just too different.

Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 11:37 PM said:
Not using HLE is probably a total dead end. I don't see enough potential in emulating the RSP using NEON, it's just too different.
I think you've already had this conversation with the person who I was talking about in the previous N64 topic. I am with you, I think an emulator will need HLE.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 03:40 AM said:
Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 11:37 PM said:
I think you've already had this conversation with the person who I was talking about in the previous N64 topic. I am with you, I think an emulator will need HLE.

-God Ginrai
I've talked to him outside of that thread way more than that, and I've also thought about it way more than I should have >_>

I wanted it to be possible but it just doesn't seem likely.

Back