Nintendo 64 Emulation

Neko posted on May 22 2009 at 12:01 AM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 07:57 PM said:
borgqueenx posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM said:
dooradley posted on May 21 2009 at 08:12 PM said:
The PSP version has terrible compatibility though. It only plays like 10 games...and of those 10 only a few are in a state where they can actually be completed.
its running pretty good, for my opinion. super mario 64 runs on full speed at the castle...but with crappy sound.
There are already some games that play on full speed. The pandora is about 3 times more powerful as a psp, so i think every n64 game should run on the pandora smoothly...one day.
I don't know. We might never see fullspeed with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark. Those games really taxed the N64.

-God Ginrai
Conker's Bad Fur Day is 64MB, which would be a problem on the PSP, but not so much on the Pandora. Perfect Dark used a custom microcode which might be a problem for some high level emulators, though many seem to handle it okay.
Emulators who have all the spare computing power they need handle Perfect Dark fine. We're looking at something that will be a challenge to even get normal N64 games fullspeed, and once that is done, that will probably be using the extent of the Pandora's power. Also, the fact that Conker's was 64MB is not the only reason why the PSP had trouble with it.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
lingenfr posted on May 22 2009 at 12:39 PM said:
Starfox or bust baby!
And with the Pandora's volume wheel, you can easily turn down the volume whenever Slippy starts to talk! ;P

-God Ginrai

I like it when Slippy talks. Particularly when he is getting blown up. :p

It fulfills my sadistic tenancies.

I just love the characters and the dialog. They're more entertaining than the actual game.

Well now, Conker's Bad Fur Day ran pretty decently on Surreal64 (The N64 emulator for Xbox). Perfect Dark on the other hand was a bag of crap (in terms of performance). Wouldn't you say the Pandora was about the same spec as the original Xbox (a Pentium 3 based system)?

i'm surprised to hear someone say perfect dark was their favorite. to me its the one game nobody played on the n64. its better than goldeneye in my opinion b/c of all the multiplayer options. you could put bots on the level so you and 4 people could fight the computer. you could go into challenge mode, so you and 3 people could like try to hack a computer or capture the flag against the computer. you could play coop or counter op, with a second player trying to STOP you from completing the 1 player campaign. there's more stuff i can't even remember.
3 halo games and they still don't have any of this stuff! lazy!

WizardStan posted on May 22 2009 at 01:34 PM said:
quartercast posted on May 22 2009 at 01:55 AM said:
sick = awesome
Danged kids with your hip-hop, and the be-bop, and the shoop-da-whoop. GIT OFFA MA LAWN!
Seriously, I can accept some drift in definition, but to use a word to mean it's near exact opposite? That is just...
We now return you to your on topic discussion already in progress.
I was at Alton Towers recently and heard some cool kids saying that, I knew what it meant but it made me feel out of touch. I'm getting old I guess.
Anyway, I suggest the best way to settle this is to compile a HLE N64 emu with GL support and see what happens.

. Perfect Dark on the other hand was a bag of crap. Wouldn't you say the Pandora was about the same spec as the original Xbox (a Pentium 3 based system"]?
perfect dark is the best game for the N64, i remember playing it alot on those days...[/quote]Yeah, just to clarify I meant it *ran like* a bag of crap. I actually quite liked it, great for big bot-matches! I only felt let down they didn't put that feature in where you scan your face from the GameBoy Camera. ?Apparently they were worried about bad press (the wimps).

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 06:38 PM said:
WizardStan posted on May 22 2009 at 01:34 PM said:
quartercast posted on May 22 2009 at 01:55 AM said:
sick = awesome
Danged kids with your hip-hop, and the be-bop, and the shoop-da-whoop. GIT OFFA MA LAWN!
Seriously, I can accept some drift in definition, but to use a word to mean it's near exact opposite? That is just...
We now return you to your on topic discussion already in progress.
I was at Alton Towers recently and heard some cool kids saying that, I knew what it meant but it made me feel out of touch. I'm getting old I guess.
Anyway, I suggest the best way to settle this is to compile a HLE N64 emu with GL support and see what happens.
i feel out of touch now. (even though i'm still in high school... for a few weeks)

ashdjones posted on May 23 2009 at 01:30 PM) Wouldn't you say the Pandora was about the same spec as the original Xbox (a Pentium 3 based system said:
Well, if you look at the Xbox specs on Wikipedia, the Pandora is slightly more powerful.

dooradley posted on May 24 2009 at 04:29 AM said:
i'm surprised to hear someone say perfect dark was their favorite. to me its the one game nobody played on the n64. its better than goldeneye in my opinion b/c of all the multiplayer options. you could put bots on the level so you and 4 people could fight the computer. you could go into challenge mode, so you and 3 people could like try to hack a computer or capture the flag against the computer. you could play coop or counter op, with a second player trying to STOP you from completing the 1 player campaign. there's more stuff i can't even remember.
3 halo games and they still don't have any of this stuff! lazy!
Yeah, it had unbelievable depth. Perfect Dark is all but confirmed for an XBLA release this year. I'm so excited I could use my own guts as a hula hoop.

. Perfect Dark on the other hand was a bag of crap. Wouldn't you say the Pandora was about the same spec as the original Xbox (a Pentium 3 based system"]?
perfect dark is the best game for the N64, i remember playing it alot on those days...[/quote]Yeah, just to clarify I meant it *ran like* a bag of crap. I actually quite liked it, great for big bot-matches! I only felt let down they didn't put that feature in where you scan your face from the GameBoy Camera. ?Apparently they were worried about bad press (the wimps"].[/quote]Yeah... I was always hopeful the early beta with that feature would get leaked so that I could use my Adaptoid with PJ64 and try that face scanning feature out :p

That photograph feature always sounded neat. I can see why they were worried about bad press, though - "Video games make people kill" was spouted loudly even more often then than it is now, if memory serves, and bad press would probably have been inevitable. :/

It might be fun to see such a feature in a modern game, though... :p (Pandora + USB camera. Hehe. :lol: )

I bought the N64 Transfer Pak along with Perfect Dark GBC just so I could unlock the extras. Stupid thing didn't work. :(

Tune in next week for the next installment of WHEN IMPULSE BUYS GO BAD.

No, I wouldn't. We've been told the Pandora has about the raw processing power of the Gamecube. IIRC, the XBox has more processing power than the GC, so therefore it should have more processing power than the Pandora. However, I don't know how much of that processing power Xbox homebrewers can actually use.

-God Ginrai

Back