Nintendo 64 Emulation

You can compare the Xbox and Pandora in some ways though. For instance, the Quake's all run about the same speed on both machines. The Xbox might have a stronger GPU though (in terms of performance) but the Quake games tax the CPU more then the GPU :)

quartercast posted on May 27 2009 at 01:31 AM said:
So, ummm... N64 anyone?
Sure, if you're offering I'll take one! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]Yeah, it had unbelievable depth. Perfect Dark is all but confirmed for an XBLA release this year. I'm so excited I could use my own guts as a hula hoop.
[/quote]

if done right that could be incredibly cool. imagine if they added a new multiplayer mode where its full screen online instead of 4 player split screen. with all the multiplayer options it could give halo a run for its money!

So wait...the Pandora is going to be able to play xbox game isos???? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k :p

Someone email me when a working N64 emulator is running...that's when I'll make my purchase!

dooradley posted on May 28 2009 at 04:22 AM said:
So wait...the Pandora is going to be able to play xbox game isos???? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
j/k :p

Someone email me when a working N64 emulator is running...that's when I'll make my purchase!

I'm sure when the Pandoras are finally shipped, there will be alot more projects starting so we might be able to expect someone working on one soon.

i hope someone start this project, i will only buy the pandora when a n64 emu is released with playable speed.

what i need is a nes, gamegear, gameboy, supernes ans genesis and n64 emu.
i think the others emu will come fast but i fear that n64 could take a few years.

Lets all contribute $10 towards a paypal account then the person first to develop a N64 emulator running at reasonable speed takes the pot (you have to have contributed in order to download :p )

With antriscopic filtering and anti aliasing conkers bad fur day looks excellent in project 64 emu!

Luftwaffles said:
Lets all contribute $10 towards a paypal account then the person first to develop a N64 emulator running at reasonable speed takes the pot (you have to have contributed in order to download :p )

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I would actually be in favor of something like this. There are a couple problems, though:

• The paypal account would probably have to be set up by someone
    like Craigix or ED, so people would feel safe donating.
  • The prisoner's dilemma (in other words, everyone thinks that everyone else will donate, so they don't feel like they need to, and hardly anyone donates). Not sure how to solve this.
  • Guidelines as to what constitutes "reasonable speed" would need to be established beforehand.
  • We'd have to open it up for public downloading eventually. This could contribute to the prisoner's dilemma (everyone thinks they'll be able to download it for free eventually, so why not just wait), but seems necessary to me because we can't have only a select group able to download a year or so later.

Again, I'm not sure if you were serious, but I'm chomping at the bit to see N64 emulation get started, and would be willing to donate $10 to see that happen.

dflemstr said:
+1, but maybe not $10; the pot would grow too big too quickly and 10 bucks is a lot of money.
Maybe $5 or even $3 if enough people are interested.

I wondered about the same thing. As I said, I'm chomping at the bit for someone to tackle this, so I'd be willing to donate $10, but many others may not be. Maybe have a couple options as to how much to donate? Or maybe even leave it open-ended, so people can do however much they want?

wermy said:
dflemstr said:
+1, but maybe not $10; the pot would grow too big too quickly and 10 bucks is a lot of money.

I wondered about the same thing. As I said, I'm chomping at the bit for someone to tackle this, so I'd be willing to donate $10, but many others may not be. Maybe have a couple options as to how much to donate? Or maybe even leave it open-ended, so people can do however much they want?
Why not set the fixed amount to $5, and then you can donate twice if you want...
$5 to be in the "download when ready" group, more to be a beta tester? dunno :p

I really think that this project should stay open if possible; aka that there shouldn't be a VIP group that gets to use the application before everyone else. The question is of course: How?

dflemstr said:
wermy said:
dflemstr said:

Why not set the fixed amount to $5, and then you can donate twice if you want...
$5 to be in the "download when ready" group, more to be a beta tester? dunno :p

I really think that this project should stay open if possible; aka that there shouldn't be a VIP group that gets to use the application before everyone else. The question is of course: How?

a good idea.
I would donate 10 bucks for a good working n64 emulator :)

Id say devs get the source for free and people who want to use it while it is still in its beta stages pay $5 or a multiple thereof. After it is finished and is running at playable speeds, it can be released for free. But we must make it clear we need a certain number of people to use the beta to keep the project going aswell as post videos on youtube to stir up public interest in the project and its progress.

wermy said:
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I would actually be in favor of something like this. There are a couple problems, though:

• The paypal account would probably have to be set up by someone
    like Craigix or ED, so people would feel safe donating.
  • The prisoner's dilemma (in other words, everyone thinks that everyone else will donate, so they don't feel like they need to, and hardly anyone donates). Not sure how to solve this.
  • Guidelines as to what constitutes "reasonable speed" would need to be established beforehand.
  • We'd have to open it up for public downloading eventually. This could contribute to the prisoner's dilemma (everyone thinks they'll be able to download it for free eventually, so why not just wait), but seems necessary to me because we can't have only a select group able to download a year or so later.

Again, I'm not sure if you were serious, but I'm chomping at the bit to see N64 emulation get started, and would be willing to donate $10 to see that happen.

I read all the posts after this, but this one stood out since it voiced the most concerns. Here are my thoughts, on your thoughts :) .
  • Paypal account should be held by OP.
  • This really isn't a dilemma at all, people that want to donate will, people that don't will not. I don't think what "others" are doing is going to affect their decision at all.
  • Reasonable speed should be defined beforehand, something like 30fps average with 50% commercial compatibility would be enough to get a decent emu going.
  • The emu should be open to everyone from the moment its released. This is a donation fund, you aren't "buying" an emulator. Maybe since you feel you deserve something special, the author could list the people who made donations and their prices in the app credits on the first few versions.
  • This was someone elses concern, but donation amounts should not be fixed, and should be open anywhere from $.50 to $500 if that's what you'd like to throw in to help.

Donation funds don't really need to be all that complicated. One of my favorite Android news sites, http://androidandme.com/, hosts a "Android Bounty" at all times. People make whatever donations they wish towards a project goal and once someone comes forward and completes the goal, a new community goal is put and the donations start again. Their current goal is to get a mobile version of Quake going. Looks like we already beat them there :) It works out really well and I'd be really happy to have a Pandora Bounty going on, if you will.
Either way I've got money I'm dying to give away to the man who can get this project off the ground ;)

The prisoner's dilema in this situation basically goes like this:
"Hmm... I could donate $10. Seems to me that there are some 300 people that also said they'd donate though. Well, I guess I can hold onto my money, $3000 is already a fair bit."
Unfortunately there are 280 people thinking the same thing. Now, of the original 300 that said they'd be interested, only 20 people actually donate. The pot remains too small for anyone to care enough, and thus the plan falls apart.
Arguing that people will donate if they want is praying for the ideal situation, and we live in an unideal world. There will be people that will donate regardless, but there will also be people that decide not to donate because they feel there's already enough people donating, and there's no other incentive to donate.
You can be an optimist, and convince yourself that enough people will donate out of confidence, understanding the risk should you be wrong, OR you can be a pessimist and talk about how to avoid the problem entirely, and then either be grateful you took those steps, or pleasantly surprised when more donations than expected roll in.

aahhrrcch men... youre ruining my suprize.. i have jamesbond goldeneye almostly running on my beagle!
I can start the game but as soon as i fire the first shot it freezes in ten sec...
I like the money idea but ill be prob the first ^^

WizardStan said:
The prisoner's dilema in this situation basically goes like this:
"Hmm... I could donate $10. Seems to me that there are some 300 people that also said they'd donate though. Well, I guess I can hold onto my money, $3000 is already a fair bit."
Unfortunately there are 280 people thinking the same thing. Now, of the original 300 that said they'd be interested, only 20 people actually donate. The pot remains too small for anyone to care enough, and thus the plan falls apart.
Arguing that people will donate if they want is praying for the ideal situation, and we live in an unideal world. There will be people that will donate regardless, but there will also be people that decide not to donate because they feel there's already enough people donating, and there's no other incentive to donate.
You can be an optimist, and convince yourself that enough people will donate out of confidence, understanding the risk should you be wrong, OR you can be a pessimist and talk about how to avoid the problem entirely, and then either be grateful you took those steps, or pleasantly surprised when more donations than expected roll in.

On the contrary, you can play the pessimist but I'll maintain what I said already and have seen in several developer pots I've already been involved in. People don't think about what other people "will do" in the future, that doesn't even make sense. People will see a pot and the pot displays $3000 then they will say, hey you know what, thats enough. And if instead they see that the pot is only up to $26, and they feel the project is worth more than that, they will donate. People don't say "Oh, I see there is only $26 in the pot, but I assume more people will donate later - so I won't". People will pay money to see things they care about manifest.

Back