Nintendo 64 Emulation

Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 11:41 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 03:40 AM said:
Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 11:37 PM said:
Not using HLE is probably a total dead end. I don't see enough potential in emulating the RSP using NEON, it's just too different.
I think you've already had this conversation with the person who I was talking about in the previous N64 topic. I am with you, I think an emulator will need HLE.

-God Ginrai
I've talked to him outside of that thread way more than that, and I've also thought about it way more than I should have >_>

I wanted it to be possible but it just doesn't seem likely.
I know what you mean. Btw, it's really nice to hear your insight on these things. It's really interesting to read.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter posted on May 20 2009 at 09:08 PM said:
If that's your main interest then you had better get a refund.
Well you never know. While he waits for an N64 emulator, he might just find many more interests that are supplemented by the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

It's been asked and answered in a dozen threads. Everyone wants it, very few coders with the ability are slow to commit but they probably will try eventually, whether or not they'll succeed to a level which people are happy is completly speculative.

This much should be stickied to the top of every pandora forum along with the unlikelyhood of seeing Windows work to a reasonable level, because people keep asking the questions over and over like it's the first time it's ever been asked. I dont see why people are surprised anymore at this point when someone get's made fun of for these questions.

Alpha2 posted on May 21 2009 at 12:02 AM said:
It's been asked and answered in a dozen threads. Everyone wants it, very few coders with the ability are slow to commit but they probably will try eventually, whether or not they'll succeed to a level which people are happy is completly speculative.

This much should be stickied to the top of every pandora forum along with the unlikelyhood of seeing Windows work to a reasonable level, because people keep asking the questions over and over like it's the first time it's ever been asked. I dont see why people are surprised anymore at this point when someone get's made fun of for these questions.
I'm actually surprised, the frequency of the question of N64 emulation has been much less than the questions about Windows, Wine, and most other overly asked questions. I don't mind reading the N64 emu topics, but that's because I'm interested in seeing an N64 emulator come to the Pandora. I'm sure the people who don't want it as much as I do are annoyed by topics like this.

-God Ginrai

As soon as we have Windows running* on the Pandora we can run UltraHLE* and it will be fine*.

Steve

* We won't get modern Windows running in any decent form
* UltraHLE won't run or work
* Fine is speculative.

N64 emulation on the pandora is highly possible...the only problem is finding a developer who wants to spend his free time by coding the emulator. Since ive heard the pandora is like a psp in some stuff, i really hope strmnmnm can port his psp n64 emulator to the pandora:)
Maby il try to ask..i know people:)

The Pandora and the PSP are very different. However, Daedalus would probably be the best bet to port because the PSP version was coded with a handheld in mind.

-God Ginrai

The PSP version has terrible compatibility though. It only plays like 10 games...and of those 10 only a few are in a state where they can actually be completed.

dooradley posted on May 21 2009 at 08:12 PM said:
The PSP version has terrible compatibility though. It only plays like 10 games...and of those 10 only a few are in a state where they can actually be completed.
its running pretty good, for my opinion. super mario 64 runs on full speed at the castle...but with crappy sound.
There are already some games that play on full speed. The pandora is about 3 times more powerful as a psp, so i think every n64 game should run on the pandora smoothly...one day.

borgqueenx posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM said:
its running pretty good, for my opinion. super mario 64 runs on full speed at the castle...but with crappy sound.
There are already some games that play on full speed. The pandora is about 3 times more powerful as a psp, so i think every n64 game should run on the pandora smoothly...one day.
I don't know. We might never see fullspeed with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark. Those games really taxed the N64.

-God Ginrai

Xian Long posted on May 21 2009 at 10:38 PM said:
go do it then.
Hey! You shouldn't lash out like that. It's not against any rules for him to state his desire for N64 games on his Pandora, or agree on the awesomeness of certain games. It was perfectly legal and on-topic.
Think before you post, please.

dooradley posted on May 21 2009 at 09:22 PM said:
Perfect Dark on a handheld would be so sick.
Why? I think it'd be pretty good.

God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 07:57 PM said:
borgqueenx posted on May 21 2009 at 03:40 PM said:
I don't know. We might never see fullspeed with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark. Those games really taxed the N64.

-God Ginrai
Conker's Bad Fur Day is 64MB, which would be a problem on the PSP, but not so much on the Pandora. Perfect Dark used a custom microcode which might be a problem for some high level emulators, though many seem to handle it okay.

WizardStan posted on May 22 2009 at 01:26 PM said:
dooradley posted on May 21 2009 at 09:22 PM said:
Perfect Dark on a handheld would be so sick.
Why? I think it'd be pretty good.
sick = awesome

quartercast posted on May 22 2009 at 01:55 AM said:
sick = awesome
Danged kids with your hip-hop, and the be-bop, and the shoop-da-whoop. GIT OFFA MA LAWN!
Seriously, I can accept some drift in definition, but to use a word to mean it's near exact opposite? That is just...
We now return you to your on topic discussion already in progress.

Back