Nintendo 64 Emulation

Exophase is bad. Nothing good will ever come of him
Now we just need to find a person who hates n64 emulation so exophase making a n64 emulator will be bad. :)

Struggling to figure out whether we've found that person, you are insinuating impossibility or just spouting a meme.

If someone put up a bounty for it, I'm sure someone would come along and do it ;) And it would be more likely to happen if it was someone reputable to put up the bounty, say, the Open Pandora team? :p It would help drive sales of the system because of it :) But then ... that might put them in an awkward position legally. Doh ...

MDave said:
If someone put up a bounty for it, I'm sure someone would come along and do it ;) And it would be more likely to happen if it was someone reputable to put up the bounty, say, the Open Pandora team? :p It would help drive sales of the system because of it :) But then ... that might put them in an awkward position legally. Doh ...

A bounty might be a nice reward for somebody who chooses to do the emulator, but it's not all of a sudden going to make somebody decide to do it.

A bounty is going to reach, what, a couple of grand at the most. That's nothing compared to the hundreds of man hours which are going to need to be put into the project. If somebody writes an N64 emulator, it'll be for the love of doing it... NOT for a bounty payout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should just wait for the Pandora to be shipped before doing anything radical. For all we know many great projects are just waiting to get started. It wouldn't be good if all too many Pandora dev's focus there attention on the bounty cause only 1 of their efforts will be worth it cause we'll end up with multiple n64 emulators. Maybe if no one is interested in making a n64 emulator a month after the Pandora is released then it might be a good time to make a bounty.

i just read all the pages from the beginning... ZZZzzz

Why does we begin with a fast Hle emu port. like ultrahle port.

i run ultrahle on my pentium 200mhz with a voodoo1 and got a lot of playable games . i even play at zelda 64.

A fast port of ultrahle could take how many days ?

at least in hle emulation i can play mariokart, mario 64 and waverace and zelda thats fine for a start.

after that we can begin a real n64 emu for more compatibility and port daeludus or other emus with better compatibility

I didnt preorder the pandora first batch, but i will buy one in the second batch. So what is the donation paypal adress for the winner, that will make it. i will give 10$ :)

renejr902 said:
A fast port of ultrahle could take how many days ?
IIRC UltraHLE is written in x86 assembly, so a quick (full) port would take a couple of years

If 100 guys donate 10 dollar, we would have 1000 dollar. That sounds pretty nice. But a developer also needs the fun and will to make a emalulator.
Still, n64 emulation is on my top list, its to bad no one is working on it...

I also dream of psp and ds emulation. Imagine how many people are willing to buy pandora if these emulators are out:)

Haha, do an N64 emulator for Pandora and make one thousand dollars or do an N64 emulator for iPhone 3GS and likely make tens of thousands of dollars?

Actually, since the hardware is so similar you could do one for both and reap massive profit *_*

But you can't effectively sell an emulator if you don't do it yourself, or don't have permission (ie, splitting the profit with the person who made it.. if they go along with it, and this is very hard if it's multiple people who might not like your terms anyway)

I don't think UltraHLE is written with x86 assembly, it just doesn't make any sense. Even for ucode emulation, since UltraHLE was pre-SSE. However, its recompiler would be outputting x86 code. Usually recompilers are easier to retarget than porting a bunch of ASM.

Exophase said:
Haha, do an N64 emulator for Pandora and make one thousand dollars or do an N64 emulator for iPhone 3GS and likely make tens of thousands of dollars?

Actually, since the hardware is so similar you could do one for both and reap massive profit *_*

But you can't effectively sell an emulator if you don't do it yourself, or don't have permission (ie, splitting the profit with the person who made it.. if they go along with it, and this is very hard if it's multiple people who might not like your terms anyway)

I don't think UltraHLE is written with x86 assembly, it just doesn't make any sense. Even for ucode emulation, since UltraHLE was pre-SSE. However, its recompiler would be outputting x86 code. Usually recompilers are easier to retarget than porting a bunch of ASM.
Daedalus is a solution for pandora and iPhone?
its opensource and ive heard psp and pandora are a bit similar in hardware.

a lot of people will buy the pandora just for the n64. i have the gp32, wiz, gp2x, psp. what i want is n64 now. the only emu i dont have and love.

the psp ps1 emu is awesome, but the n64 emu really sucks :) 15 to 20fps on mario 64 last time i played. and mario64 is very slow. EDIT: But i appreciate their effort making this emulator. i know its not easy.

with a Ds emu nintendo will be very angry lol

and for a psp emu i hope the emu will not emulate the psp ghostling screen. lol
but its a good idea with a psp emulator we can play the daedalus emulator of the psp emulator :) LOL maybe n64 at 5 fps

on June 7, 2009 project 1964 released their source code :D
http://1964emu.emulation64.com/

I do not know if it will be to any help for the pandora..
but it always nice with open source :D

I think there's no reason to DONT have the n64 emulator in pandora at some point in the future. Think about this, the psp have 266Mhz and 32 ram, pandora is at least 3 times more powerfull than the psp, and i remember playing the first dungeon of Oot (at 5fps) in my psp. The only thing we need to see nice n64 emu is a good developer, such as strmnrm was for psp.
Also there are open source n64 emu's for linux... And if dreamcast can run on pandora, im sure n64 will run smoothly.

guizm said:
I think there's no reason to DONT have the n64 emulator in pandora at some point in the future. Think about this, the psp have 266Mhz and 32 ram, pandora is at least 3 times more powerfull than the psp, and i remember playing the first dungeon of Oot (at 5fps) in my psp. The only thing we need to see nice n64 emu is a good developer, such as strmnrm was for psp.
Also there are open source n64 emu's for linux... And if dreamcast can run on pandora, im sure n64 will run smoothly.
the psp has 333mhz maximum.
And yeah we need strmnmrnm or whatever the name was. But the problem with building emulators is, that it EATS time.
And no one responded to our 10 dollar idea yet, so thats why i think no one will make the emulator.

If somewhone owned a pandora (in 2 months) and will a n64 emu, and he can super awesome programming, he make a n64 emu, but this will cost a lot of time, but it is pandora, nothing is inpossible :rolleyes:

borgqueenx said:
guizm said:
the psp has 333mhz maximum.
And yeah we need strmnmrnm or whatever the name was. But the problem with building emulators is, that it EATS time.
And no one responded to our 10 dollar idea yet, so thats why i think no one will make the emulator.

Psp can be overclocked at 333 maximum , but its standar 222, like pandora has 600 but it for sure would be overclocked up to 900.
Btw , whats that of the 10 dollar idea??

Back