Mupen64Plus - too slow? What version?

GuSec

I'm sorry for this disorganized post but... I'm getting desperate.

I'm using a rebirth Pandora (512MB RAM) and SuperZaxxon Beta 5. The version of Mupen64Plus found in the repo (1.5.r20110615.2) and the one at apps.openpandora.org are running really slow for me (difference?). Sound works fine and so do frameskip, but BOTH versions of gles2n64 (v0.0.4 and v.0.0.5) are suspiciously slow! Most times I can't achieve full speed in SM64 (@ 400x240) and I'm running it @ 1 GHz. It's always choppy!

On the other hand, the version R1B5 is extremely fast on my Pandora. I recently tried it and it's such an extreme difference. OoT ran at about 2-4 FPS with the two newer versions (@ 400x240 & 1 GHz) but with the older R1B5 my Pandora strangely achieves almost fullspeed with audio! We're talking about a difference from barely playable to completely satisfying!

The problem is that this version (R1B5) lacks plugins, has got glitching graphics (though I suspect this is related to v0.0.4), awfully choppy sound, no Pickle-launcher and freezes for half a second or so every 5-15 s of gameplay (I'm assuming it lacks proper auto-frameskip). This is even present in SM64 running extremely smoothly (besides the freezes and the audio) at @ 400x240 & 1 GHz. Also it's an old, small version which makes me really suspicious. It's not supposed to work best, is it?

I'm hoping a bit for the version called R1B5+ but I can't seem to download it.

What I'm really wondering is if this is a common problem and what version I'm really supposed to use? It's a tiny bit confusing sorting this mess out, and I really want to know why the new versions barely are playable (not even with the old gles2n64) when R1B5 is? What should I do?

The latest version has two different graphic plugins, AFAIR.

The newer version is way slower, but more compatible (and is selected as default).

Try changing to the old graphic plugin (you can do that in the settings dialogue)

The newer version is way slower, but more compatible (and is selected as default).

Try changing to the old graphic plugin (you can do that in the settings dialogue)
Thanks for such a quick answer!

Yeah, I'm aware that it's possible to select the old version (v0.0.4) in the repo-version of Mupen64Plus, but unfortunately this does not seem to improve my situation for some strange reason (maybe a little, but not at all comparable to R1B5).

Are there some tweaks in the config files I'm supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's odd, Super Mario 64 always ran well for me even with frameskip on. And I only overclock to 800 MHz.

Regarding frameskip, turn that off. The amount of speed difference is negligible, and in return you get extreme choppiness (e.g. rendering F-Zero X unplayable).

You can try to set auto-fs=0 in the configuration file.

On Zelda-MM, it makes the difference from dia-show to relatively smooth on my Pandora and the repro version of mupen64+ .

This and the maximum stable OC seems the only things to make the emulation faster.

This emulator needs realy more attention from the developers

Thanks for such a quick answer!

Yeah, I'm aware that it's possible to select the old version (v0.0.4) in the repo-version of Mupen64Plus, but unfortunately this does not seem to improve my situation for some strange reason (maybe a little, but not at all comparable to R1B5).

Are there some tweaks in the config files I'm supposed to do?

Try this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back