Music Library Manager Sofware

Ian J

Advanced Member
Anyone have software recommendations to manage a music library and sync the files to an mp3 player?

The user is technophobic so needs a user friendly GUI and needs an all in one solution, i.e. it rips the files from CD's, names them accordingly and syncs the files on their mp3 player when it's connected to their desktop PC (Windows).

The mp3 player is a basic model that is just seen as a removable drive.

I mistakenly tried iTunes once years ago and since then I've done everything manually so have no idea of what's good or bad in this area.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Hmm... no replies. Ok, I'll try.
No "one bloated software" to do it all.
Let's see synch:
https://superuser.com/questions/681...usb-thumb-drive-with-folders-on-the-pc#681088

As for a good ripper, it will need to use CDDB or FreeDB to look up the songs:
What about Foobar2000? It can rip into a "music" directory. But it's not intuitive to operate.
I used CDEX in the past, but not sure how it rates today.
There are some paid alternatives which are better.

Last edited:
Can't remember anything that totally fits the bill but here's what I usually end up doing.

The disc ripper that I use is fre:ac and I tend to just copy and paste files to and from my mp3 player.

If the user is a technophobe / not willing to learn.... and they already own an iPhone or Android Device, maybe they'd be better off with a subscription service like Apple Music / Spotify and ditching the CDs?

VLC or Kodi can probably do all the stuff you want to do anyway :)

I ended up just making folders for my 'plays-lists' and prefixing numbers to filenames to order them.
Music player wise on my PC I use VLC and on my phone I use the stock android music app.

The music player he has in an Archos 202, so very basic but it is 20Gb

It can be set as a windows device or hard drive.

I've used Media Monkey's sync functionality, it's the best I've found. My setup is not necessarily the best for a technophobe, but I do transcoding flac to ogg. If the files are already in MP3 format I imagine it'll be a lot easier. It does ripping from CD and the GUI is exceptional in my opinion.

If you want Linux and something that might prove a bit less daunting from the GUI maybe Rhythmbox is worth a look. I've used the sync on that before and I remember it being pretty good.

MediaMonkey or Rhythmbox look like they could be exactly what he's after.

Back