Music Players Supporting Libraries

tsh said:
SomeGuy99 said:
It's much more feature filled than it looks. Plus, it can be controlled entirely from the keyboard and game buttons.
Links here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54923-the-pandora-apps-thread/page__view__findpost__p__885409
Nice. Not the most intuitive UI I've come across... I couldn't work out how to navigate the library view, switching panes wasn't too obvious... Volume control seems not to work (although why it has 6 different key bindings wasn't clear)

Ah will try that aswell does it scrobble?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see if I can compile gmpc 0.20.0 and package it...
hmm... not trivial, but
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Client:Mpdscribble

tsh said:
hmm... not trivial, but

Just so you don't have to make the effort of you don't want to, there is a compile of mpc included in the ommc pnd you could grab out if you would like. I have compiled mpdscribble also and will be including it and the ability to enable/disable it from ommpc in the next build. It could also be ripped out and repackaged at that point if a standalone version was desired...

Coder_TimT said:
tsh said:
hmm... not trivial, but

Just so you don't have to make the effort of you don't want to, there is a compile of mpc included in the ommc pnd you could grab out if you would like. I have compiled mpdscribble also and will be including it and the ability to enable/disable it from ommpc in the next build. It could also be ripped out and repackaged at that point if a standalone version was desired...

Well, after installing (and building from source in more cases than I planned) I have mpdas, mpd and gmpc all built from latest stable. I really want to try and re-size some of the dialogues in gmpc (the 'first run' one looks possible (since it declares a window size) but the config dialogue looks dynamic - and a little too abstracted to be obvious...

What seems to be necessary for mpd is a stand-alone package, with configuration(+scrobble)/start/kill which is triggered by running a front-end. Surely this is solved already? Maybe something you'd be able to do faster than me?

No idea how I go about packaging gmpc0.20.0, and working out which libs to include - but I do have a clean NAND to try it on...

tsh said:
Coder_TimT said:
tsh said:
hmm... not trivial, but

Well, after installing (and building from source in more cases than I planned) I have mpdas, mpd and gmpc all built from latest stable. I really want to try and re-size some of the dialogues in gmpc (the 'first run' one looks possible (since it declares a window size) but the config dialogue looks dynamic - and a little too abstracted to be obvious...

What seems to be necessary for mpd is a stand-alone package, with configuration(+scrobble)/start/kill which is triggered by running a front-end. Surely this is solved already? Maybe something you'd be able to do faster than me?

No idea how I go about packaging gmpc0.20.0, and working out which libs to include - but I do have a clean NAND to try it on...

Ah, I missed the 'g' part of gmpc. As you might can guess, I personally not a fan of the desktop players for use on the pandora so really can't help much there. Although they do make me jealous with their feature sets...

As for mpd as a stand-alone package, IMO mpd as originally intended, it is a daemon so technically should be installed as such. Even with that I don't think there are many(any?) clients that deal with mpd configuration since it's actually something you need root access to do as it's running as a service. Most clients can only control the running mpd or kill it, but that's about as far as they go.

This is why I actually package and somewhat hide mpd away in ommpc, to avoid what is normally a very "old school linux" setup of mpd which involves editing a config file and restarting a service. But in the more general use case, I think "sudo opkg install mpd" is the way to go. It really doesn't fit as a fully stand alone PND file, because clients generally expect the Daemon to be there running, so you would have to start up the mpd PND before running the client PND. But perhaps you were thinking of something different?

since we are now on the subject of mpd clients... I think it would be nice if someone packaged Sonata for the pandora... it is, by far, one of the nicest clients I've had the pleasure of playing with so far.

Coder_TimT said:
It really doesn't fit as a fully stand alone PND file, because clients generally expect the Daemon to be there running, so you would have to start up the mpd PND before running the client PND. But perhaps you were thinking of something different?

Code:
 #!/bin/bash
 #this script to be run from the PND

#command to mpd

#command to client

?

Pleng said:
Coder_TimT said:
It really doesn't fit as a fully stand alone PND file, because clients generally expect the Daemon to be there running, so you would have to start up the mpd PND before running the client PND. But perhaps you were thinking of something different?

Code:
 #!/bin/bash
 #this script to be run from the PND

#command to mpd

#command to client

?

So how about the client PND runs a script which checks if it can find either a running mpd, or an mpd config file and a mpd.pnd (either by searching on the same mountpoint as me.pnd, or asking). It can then handshake with the mpd.pnd, starting it if necessary, and stopping it if it makes sense. The MPD pnd can dialogue for a basic config.

I know this overlaps with the PND dependancy checking, but since mpd_client_x.pnd and mpd_server.pnd are very closely tied, it makes sense to manage the dependency explicitly.

I just installed sonata on my Ubuntu 10.4 bod, and that fails the user friendly install, MPD is (silently) running, but no sign of a configuration interface.

put them both in the same PND?

Am I missing something here?

mpd really is a daemon, but you don't need root-access to run it. I start it as a regular user with my x-session on all my systems, config-files go to ~/ . Library-scan can then be triggered from the client.

There's really no need to start the server with the client. I even say that would be dumb, even more closing both together. I regularly switch clients while mpd stays on or even close all clients while the server still plays. There are lots of situations when I use a client as remote for the mpd on another machine, like my htpc. You get it? There's lot of reason to keep mpd and the clients seperate.

Problem for pandora is mpd only allows for one music-directory, but sd's directories can be linked in. If your SD-card uses ext2 or something similar and has a proper volume-name, symlinks with "ln -s /media/$volume/music" should even be persistant.

@coder_timt: that's really no bogus against your project, as a client/server setup would make no sense on gp2x/wiz without even networking or alternate clients, but it does make a lot of sense on the pandora.

Back