Mweston Tries Out A Range Of Leds (Photo)

I'd also perfer having possibilty to turn off all LED. On my Amilo laptop, blue LED's just blind you during nighttime, so I used black tape on them.

So, as long you can turn'em off, blue LED is nice. If it's not an option, standard traffic light will do ;)

Mitja

White, Amber/Orange, Red, Green.

Also there are OTHER colors of LED... like Teal (Aquamarine) that are 'gentler' types of blue.
(actually there are MAJOR differences between colors of "white" LEDs, even LEDs of the same batch may have different tints)

Too bad these were not RGB LEDs, each could have been a user configurable color... (oh well theres always the Pandora II)

The Nintendo DSi has a blue LED for the power indicator, and nobody has complained about that one. ;) That could be because the light is diffused thanks to the sanding/frosting of the plastic. If you want blue, go for something like that. :)

If purple is a possibility, I'd like it somewhere. Purple rocks.

Maybe
[SD1: Purple][SD2: Purple][WLAN: Teal][BT: Teal]----[Low: Red][Mid: Orange][Good: Green][Full battery: Green]

Without the text:
####------------####

That gives us purple and teal LEDs (go unique color scheme) while color-coding the display (SDs have one color, wireless has another). On the right, we have the universally-understood traffic light colors.

I think, the LED's are not the Problem but the Lightpipe itself could be. Now it looks like the Lightpipe is completely transparent plastic and this looks somehow very "cheap". I would prefer a silk-surface of the Pipe, makes the colours of each LED more uniform and matches better with the silk surface of the Pandora Case. I think it also could look very nice if the lightpipes have some degree of dark tone, not much but much enough to have the LED area "invisible" if the lights are all off. :)
Maybe MWeston can sand the top of the lightpipes (very fine sand paper) to check the effect or he could use a waterproof black Pen to darken the Lightipe. I'm sure the LEDs are still bright enough to show through and we really don't need too bright LED's. The lights are in the viewing-direction of the Screen so it#s better to have only a slightly indication of LED-light. EXCEPT a bright red, blinking Low-Battery-Warning LED. ;)

My favorite is the second from the top. I like that the left side and the right side have different sets of colors, and that none of them seem to be overpowering the rest.

wardred said:
That dark purple is actually good. Red, green, orange, and yellow after it. Death to blue leads that aren't actually used for illumination.

I agree, I really think we should go with it. Nobody seems to ever use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the concern with the bright Blue LED, but how does the Green and Orange stand out under the sun?
If I recall correctly, Green LED doesn't stand out under the sun.

+1 for the use of Purple.

Please, no blue LED's.

I can't buy any computer stuff these days without those damn bright blue LED's. Half my living room has a blue hue, especially at night.

Green / Amber for me.

WizardStan said:
the power LED on my speakers is blue, and I can indeed confirm that it is really bright and annoying, especially in a darkened room. I've had to cover it up on more than one occasion where the red and green LEDs around me cause no problem. It's not a function of it being "brighter" per se. I'm sure it produces the same amount of lumens as any other LED, it just seems brighter because of the wavelength.

heheh, my 8 port Ethernet switch currently has a post-it stuck over it for the same reason. It's the most ridiculous product though as it came with a microfiber cloth to polish the chrome colored plastic and glossy black lid... I mean... does anyone REALLY polish their Ethernet switches??? :p

I have a blue LED and green LED on my Wacom tablet that's constantly on, and it's never once bothered me. In fact, it's really dim compared to most of the other LEDs I have around. On my phone, the green one is brighter than the blue one. My HDD access LED on my laptop is actually brighter than the blue LED on my tablet.

I have a feeling that if some sort of hazing is added to the lightpipes and the blue LED voltage is scaled back it won't be as bright as everyone thinks it'll be.

j6cubic said:
If purple is a possibility, I'd like it somewhere. Purple rocks.

Maybe
[SD1: Purple][SD2: Purple][WLAN: Teal][BT: Teal]----[Low: Red][Mid: Orange][Good: Green][Full battery: Green]

Without the text:
####------------####

That gives us purple and teal LEDs (go unique color scheme) while color-coding the display (SDs have one color, wireless has another). On the right, we have the universally-understood traffic light colors.
I like yours as a set up for it too, but have the battery lights be ####.
[Low: Red][Mid: Orange][Good: Yellow[Full battery: Green]

That is if they have a yellow one that way you don't think that it is on Full if you only pay attention to the color of the light that is showing. :D

Isn't the configuration:
SD1|SD2|WLAN|BT|-------------|BAT|BAT|BAT|POWER

Paradox said:
it's not like there aren't tons of available pandoras to order anyway, or do you actually believe they have sold nearly all 4,000 except for about 30-50 odd ones?

If you're right and we are lying, how will you explain the huge delay until batch2? That we are just hording Pandora consoles for 4-6months?

craigix said:
Paradox said:
it's not like there aren't tons of available pandoras to order anyway, or do you actually believe they have sold nearly all 4,000 except for about 30-50 odd ones?

If you're right and we are lying, how will you explain the huge delay until batch2? That we are just hording Pandora consoles for 4-6months?

I like how you always reply to my posts, it makes me feel speciial :)

wow paradox u seem like a right dick, why did u buy one if all u do is complain.

Back