My Keys Are Starting To Wear Off .. Already?!

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
I'm sorry to report that the keys on my Pandora are starting to lose their shine .. this is most noticeable on my E and A keys (most common used letters), on the upper left corner, and it appears that the coating on the key is starting to wear off in general .. I've noticed it on other keys too .. when I press them there is a very slight wrinkling effect, maybe caused by my sharp finger nails perhaps? This wrinkle may be contracting the upper layer material and causing it to weaken.

Either way I feel its my duty to report it. I will report back if it gets worse .. I dread the day that these keys have no gloss.

:(

Well if you are prodding them with your finger nails it will come off, they are designed to be pressed by skin, how long are your nails?!

craigix said:
torpor said:
I'm sorry to report that the keys on my Pandora are starting to lose their shine .. this is most noticeable on my E and A keys (most common used letters), on the upper left corner, and it appears that the coating on the key is starting to wear off in general .. I've noticed it on other keys too .. when I press them there is a very slight wrinkling effect, maybe caused by my sharp finger nails perhaps? This wrinkle may be contracting the upper layer material and causing it to weaken.

Either way I feel its my duty to report it. I will report back if it gets worse .. I dread the day that these keys have no gloss.

Well if you are prodding them with your finger nails it will come off, they are designed to be pressed by skin, how long are your nails?!

Mine seem pretty good and I'm using them quite a bit. I don't use my nails however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
torpor nails

dang dude it must be hard finding gadgets tough enough to resist your iron claw technique

Ouch, doesn't sound good.. I can say I use my pandora 5-18 hours every day and havn't noticed anything like that, still very shiny, even the most used keys are the same as the others.

Torpor is Wolverine :D

Nate_Wolverine_2.jpg

I have not used my keys much, but the coating and quality seem way high. I don't think I'll ever use them enough to rub off the clear coat, and remove the letters. That would take a hell of a lot of use.

Chris

My nails are not long! I trim them regularly .. honest!

Seriously though, maybe its body chemistry or something, too much battery acid in my diet ..

Anyway, "don't use your nails" is no solution - test the material by pushing the buttons with your fingernail a few times and see if there isn't creasing going on to weaken the material .. you might see the effect for yourself.

torpor said:
My nails are not long! I trim them regularly .. honest!

torpor said:
maybe caused by my sharp finger nails perhaps?

You have cause to believe that your fingernails are sharper than average, and you trim them regularly: do you trim them to points? I knew someone who did that once. I think that would make it much more likely to scratch things.

torpor said:
test the material by pushing the buttons with your fingernail a few times and see if there isn't creasing going on to weaken the material .. you might see the effect for yourself.

Why would we do that, I tend to press the buttons with the middle soft part of my thumb anyway, I'm way too carefull even when typing, God know how long I would have to wait if i brake it.

No, I don't trim them to a point, they are just sharp - not pointy - as in the thin kind of sharp. And I too use my fingers bluntly most of the time, but in some positions of the Pandora I can't help it - my nails cause a crease in the buttons and it seems that this crease is stressing the upper surface layer.

Anyway I'll do pics soon ..

Why would we do that ..

I meant OPT should do it .. set up a button-pushing test and see how long until the creases form.

torpor said:

Hm, I hope I don't push the Pandora buttons like I pushed the buttons onto my GP2X:
buttonsag.jpg

B-Key was used a little bit to heavy "sideways" with the thumb so even with short nails it got damaged (over 2 Years). Stick weared off because of heavy usage. :D
I guess the Pandora keymat is easy to fix with some extreme hard and transparent resin stuff if there are problems. ^^

Can I just ask how hard you're pressing the keys, torpor? I just tried to see if I could get my nails to leave a mark, and it took quite a press to cause a minor (and thankfully self-healing) dent on a key. :p

torpor said:
I meant OPT should do it .. set up a button-pushing test and see how long until the creases form.

Yeah I agree. I hope it doesn't get any worse anyway :)

Prometheus said:
Can I just ask how hard you're pressing the keys, torpor? I just tried to see if I could get my nails to leave a mark, and it took quite a press to cause a minor (and thankfully self-healing) dent on a key. :p

LOL what you like, couldn't you resist seeing if it would brake

Weird!

My prototype from a few months ago.. still as good a keypad as the day I got it (I wrecked everyting else on it ;)

An interesting comment abotu body chemsity above -- that can come into play for laptops; a buddy of mine - I don't know what he's made of - but that guy uses a laptop and a couple weeks later, the paint is pealing off under the wrist rests. I can go years on a laptop without it discolouring one wit. I'm pretty anal with my electronics, but still .. I think some people are made of acid and KFC-spices. (Girls are made of sugar and spice, right?)

jeff

For me, I would have assumed spacebar would be the one to go -- I just fn-swoosh-left all day long to do 'tab completion', and she's fine :)

torpor said:
Seriously though, maybe its body chemistry or something, too much battery acid in my diet ..
This is actually very possible. I can't use cheap wrist watches, as the metal corrodes instantly.

skeezix said:
I just fn-swoosh-left all day long to do 'tab completion', and she's fine :)

Am I the only one who read this as "I just effing swoosh..."?

I am?

Oh.

skeezix said:
An interesting comment abotu body chemsity above -- that can come into play for laptops; a buddy of mine - I don't know what he's made of - but that guy uses a laptop and a couple weeks later, the paint is pealing off under the wrist rests. I can go years on a laptop without it discolouring one wit. I'm pretty anal with my electronics, but still .. I think some people are made of acid and KFC-spices. (Girls are made of sugar and spice, right?)
He isn't diabetic with poor blood sugar control is he? I'd imagine that acetone would tend to take the paint off things. Not sure if it would in the quantities that are likely to build up in the body without causing serious illness, but I suppose it would push things along that path.

Wouldn't it be neat if the Pandora 2 had dual touch screens with a reconfigurable keyboard on the bottom multi-touch screen? That would solve a lot of arguments about where the keys are. Some coders like it one way, some e-mailers and facebookers like it another way, Turkish, English, Germans and French all want it differently. Toss in some lefties, righties... I'm a lefty, and I think the Shift-Drag is going to have to be changed to Alt-Drag to move my Windows around. The shift key is on the wrong side of the keyboard to be to drag a Window with the stylus while holding down shift.

Back