My Mp Pandora

PokeParadox said:
I just wish default layout was decided upon ages ago. I don't care what the buttons are called I just care what button is what in code. It's been most frustrating have to rearrange my "in code" button layout because the button map is different again in another photo. I want to be able to say "Press B" in the game and know that the physical B button will do the same thing on any standard Pandora.
It looks like they're definitely going with the GP2X layout. For programming purposes, the latest kernel refers to the buttons by number, rather than by letter. They're numbered clockwise from the top, like this:
Code:
  4 2

This is as close to an official announcement as I can get... Until someone changes their mind again.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Hopefully several of you will drop by my house to try one out before then.

As I am from germany that would be pretty hard but I really hope ED invites us in aswell. It's under 4 hours on train and I don't have to pay it. Please ED, invite us!

craigix said:
I will do a new video today, just seeing what people want to see.

Some Quackshot action would be wicked ;)

If Mega CD is at all possible, some Final Fight CD or Batman Returns?

Things are looking great! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

As for videos maybe show off some of the cool capabilities of pandora.

If you have the hardware maybe try Bluetooth Sixaxis for some 2 player street fighter action via tv out.
Or if this application supports more than 1 controller, 4 player Bomberman or MarioKart64 via tv out.

The potential of having a portable multiplayer gaming library device could be a major selling point for many people.

thanks Graig for the tease and the video :)

as for button mapping, the GP2X standard makes sense to me as the P&|a is some kind of successor.
If we need anything it's not a mandatory remappability feature but a set of standards (for games and apps at least, not emus).
You know, all PlayStation games use roughly the same priority and functions for X-[]-/\-O, just like does Nintendo games with A-B-X-Y.

At least always use the same buttons for OK and Cancel ;)

skyeyemachine said:
...it's quiet.

Too quiet....

He's probably sleeping after a marathon session with the Pandora.

Kloplop321 said:
Consequence9 said:
Phawx said:
skyeyemachine said:
...it's quiet.

Too quiet....

He's probably sleeping after a marathon session with the Pandora.
yah it's pretty late, i doubt we'll be seeing another vid tonight
Most likely not. Unless he pulls some Fooly Cooly on us :p .
I was also just sort of surprised by the way the stream of comments suddenly died off, but yes, poor Craig needs his sleep as much as anyone else, I'm sure.

Not that that'll curb my excitement all that much, unfortunately. :p

I suppose I'll just have to amuse myself with the ultimate in defeatist entertainment: Spelunky! ( http://www.spelunkyworld.com/ )

skyeyemachine said:
Kloplop321 said:
Most likely not. Unless he pulls some Fooly Cooly on us :p .
I was also just sort of surprised by the way the stream of comments suddenly died off, but yes, poor Craig needs his sleep as much as anyone else, I'm sure.

Not that that'll curb my excitement all that much, unfortunately. :p

I suppose I'll just have to amuse myself with the ultimate in defeatist entertainment: Spelunky! ( http://www.spelunkyworld.com/ )

Braid is better. Time warping is awesome.
But I agree, Craig needs sleep. He doesn't need to make Raman at 4 AM

skyeyemachine said:
So, if I understand correctly, I could in theory run pretty much any program compiled for the earliest X86 chips within the last 25 years (according to your estimate) on modern hardware without recompiling it - and perhaps vice-versa, to some extent? And that would likely not work in most cases with ARM software, since those designers care less about compatibility?
That's broadly true, with the caveat that early DOS programs generally hit the hardware directly and so e.g. Windows XP doesn't like them much (and Vista and 7 won't run them at all), but if you pop in a DOS floppy (FreeDOS boot CD, now, I guess, since not many computers have floppy drives) with the program, it'll probably run fine, unless it requires specific hardware (sound cards, etc.) - I haven't really tried this with games, but I have successfully run DOS console applications on an AMD64-based laptop.

Tom` said:
That's broadly true, with the caveat that early DOS programs generally hit the hardware directly and so e.g. Windows XP doesn't like them much (and Vista and 7 won't run them at all), but if you pop in a DOS floppy (FreeDOS boot CD, now, I guess, since not many computers have floppy drives) with the program, it'll probably run fine, unless it requires specific hardware (sound cards, etc.) - I haven't really tried this with games, but I have successfully run DOS console applications on an AMD64-based laptop.
Over the years, there have been additions and removals from the x86 instruction set. Kings Quest 5 used one of these instructions that was added with the 486 to ensure it was being run on a sufficient computer. This instruction was later removed with either the Pentium or P2 . As a result, even if you install DOS and Win3.11 (or Win95), you cannot play Kings Quest 5 on anything other than a 486. I discovered this quite unfortunately not too long ago.
Point is that there are programs which cannot be run on modern CPUs.

Hence why we use Dos Box. Though in many ways there is backwards compatibility with current x86 chips, we don't have it in full... such as Wizard pointed out.

Edit: I guess it comes down to bloat. Just like as PC's got faster coders got lazy... as chips progress they chose to design in quantity rather than efficiency.

Indeed, BackAssward; I've used DosBox many times, an excellent program. I'm just trying to make sure I understand the hardware side of the situation correctly. I've always understood that some software just doesn't run all that well, if at all, on hardware with specs far outside an intended range (watching Magic Carpet zoom along at 200+ FPS on a modern XP computer, for example :D ), but I never gave much thought to the way the processors' underlying construction impacted the situation beyond being too powerful or misapplying multithreading and the like (which I guess is a good example of the matter, actually, but it never occurred to me that way). I'm trying to pay more attention to the details underlying computers and electronics, since I want to get into them myself, so it seemed like a good opportunity to ask a pertinent question regarding CPU design. :)

As it is, though, I'm only just getting started in pulling the most basic tools together (soldiering iron, breadboard, PIC programming board, etc), so I've got a long, long way to go...! :p

Back