N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
the thing can definitely play most n64 roms if you port daedalus and make some smart optimizations. end of story.
See, this is exactly why I'm constantly trying to downplay N64 / NDS / DC / etc. on the Pandora.

You're not qualified to make a statement like that. But any random person wandering into the forum searching for "daedalus" is going to find that post, assume you do know what you're talking about, and take it as gospel. This causes problems for the project in general and me in particular.

Even if that statement is accurate (and it probably is), it is still misleading. It makes playable N64 emulation seem inevitable and immanent, and it is neither.

Metaphor: It is technically possible for humans to visit Mars. The technology necessary to make it happen already exists. However, until the leader of some country with both the money and resources needed for the project gets in front of a TV camera Kennedy-style and says "We're going to Mars. Here's the plan...", nobody is going anywhere. No amount of standing around shouting "We can do it!" is going to put a person on the red planet.

Similarly, it doesn't matter how many armchair programmers say "N64 emulation is totally doable." Until somebody with the knowledge and resources says "I'm confident I can make it happen, and I'm working on it", nothing is getting done.

Like I said in my previous post, there are so many things the Pandora can and will do right off the bat. It is a waste to spend all your time pining over one emulator that might not happen. It's actively detrimental when you state that it will happen when that is not necessarily the case. Misinformation like that is why bad articles get written and it's why people come here with unreasonable expectations and get disappointed when they aren't met.

"You're not qualified to make a statement like that."
How would you know that? And who exactly are you to say this to me? hahahaha!

no fanboy who is afraid of not getting what he wants can talk that to me, especially you.
what you are doing is exactly what DaveC did for the gp2x: constantly overhype it, and yet shut people down when they asked stuff that would be harder to do. qvga (with horrible scanlines) and AA's were defended to be great as hard as he could, so people would start thinking that way, and that's how a fanboy mentality works. Did it make any good for gp2x's fame? did it bring a lot of developers to it? NO. but again, this is NOT a gp2x. that's why I have the duty to say you must stop doing that sort of overprotective measures "to prevent dumb people from expecting too much from it".

I'm certainly not gonna lie to keep stupid people from answering things. This kind of thing you can do to a child, who can't understand things, not to a human that is smart enough to know about the pandora and get his hands at it.
Also, we are not saying "hey, dreamcast is gonna get playable". tecnically, if someone has the guts to do it, even dreamcast would get to a playable point. But it's unrealistic, that's why we are talking about N64 emulation instead.
This is not like saying the gp2x could run ps1 (hahaha), it's like saying the Zodiac could handle good SNES emulation. Definitely possible and probable.
we are not being optimistic when we say the pandora definitely has the specs for getting a really playable n64 emulator, we are being realistic.

"nobody is going anywhere"
so you simply don't know what the Pandora project is all about, eh?

as you like metaphors, take it: Kennedy (Craig) is the commander here. the ship's pieces is the pandora. moon (psx), impossible to be reached properly before (gp2x) is now a reality. nobody said going to mars (n64) is going to be easy, but it is possible and we sure have the engineers (community programmers) good enough to do it. and the old lady complaining about everything here is you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're really angry. but you never said how you were qualified.
as far as chip, hes much more realistic than any of the other people on the team or on most public relations people.

It's good, to have Exophase's and Happy's posts here. Having been here for a while now, I've learned how to filter threads for the real info.
Besides, Chip doesn't play the sceptic part to annoy people, but to keep the balance. It's an unrewarding job, but someone has got to do it ;)

Let me restate myself... :(

The reason I started this thread was to show developers how desired/popular n64 emulation truly is.
you can quote me :eek:

I think that's the best way to say it. This was meant to be an incentive to show developers what the community desires. They can wade through here and see all the posts of people that want to play their beloved n64.
you can't quote mehere :p

I had been wondering if some of this might be better suited for the development forum. I have no lingering doubts as to the demand for N64 emulation. If you want something soon (sooner?), I would recommend finding a dev willing to port Daedalus, as I am not looking to do it ( I would prefer to continue development of my own project at this time).

Happy said:
I had been wondering if some of this might be better suited for the development forum. I have no lingering doubts as to the demand for N64 emulation. If you want something soon (sooner?), I would recommend finding a dev willing to port Daedalus, as I am not looking to do it ( I would prefer to continue development of my own project at this time).
Let me know if you want to talk ideas sometime (not sure if I can be super useful but I like recompilers >_>). AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ is best if you have it.

I'm assuming English isn't your 1st language? ;-)

Well not quite - Happy may look at this (starting from scratch), and Exophase has offered some assistance with ideas especially around recompilers

No one is currently looking at porting daedalus though

scottm said:
I'm assuming English isn't your 1st language? ;-)

Well not quite - Happy may look at this (starting from scratch), and Exophase has offered some assistance with ideas especially around recompilers

No one is currently looking at porting daedalus though
No one we know of on these boards ;)

Exophase said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
is strmnnrmn on these boards?
I'd be pretty surprised if he were.

why so? Seems like a pretty natural transition to me. IMO him porting daedalus to the panda just makes the most sense comparatively.
Other platforms would be a huge pain for little return:
Wii - More or less has N64 taken care of
PS3 - Still no homebrew, so it's out
360 - is... well, it's the 360, lol (seriously though correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it using PPC architecture?)
x86 - Plenty of other N64 emus out there, doesn't seem very 'exciting' to me

But most of all, Why would he migrate it from a handheld to a non-handheld? Seems like that would be much more work than it's worth.
The only other handhelds out there either couldn't handle it or would be stupid because of lack of controls (DS, Iphone, etc.)

so by process of elimination I arrive at the pandora.

I'm probably not qualified to say any of this definitively, but this is my logic. I'm not banking on this, It's just the conclusion I've arrived at. Time will tell, anything else is just speculation.

Plus if he is lurking somewhere on these forums, I'm sure he gets a hell of a kick out of all this ;]

Consequence9 said:
Exophase said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:

why so? Seems like a pretty natural transition to me. IMO him porting daedalus to the panda just makes the most sense comparatively.
360 - is... well, it's the 360, lol (seriously though correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it using PPC architecture?)

But most of all, Why would he migrate it from a handheld to a non-handheld? Seems like that would be much more work than it's worth.
The only other handhelds out there either couldn't handle it or would be stupid because of lack of controls (DS, Iphone, etc.)

I'm probably not qualified to say any of this definitively, but this is my logic. I'm not banking on this, It's just the conclusion I've arrived at. Time will tell, anything else is just speculation.

Plus if he is lurking somewhere on these forums, I'm sure he gets a hell of a kick out of all this ;]

Gogeta asked if strmnnrmn is on these boards, not if strmnnrmn was working on a port. I agree with Exophase where I say that I'd be pretty surprised if he was on these forums. That's a completely seperate issue from whether or not he is working or will work on a port for the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Consequence9 said:
Exophase said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:

Gogeta asked if strmnnrmn is on these boards, not if strmnnrmn was working on a port. I agree with Exophase where I say that I'd be pretty surprised if he was on these forums. That's a completely seperate issue from whether or not he is working or will work on a port for the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

My bad, dead tired.

Point stands tho, just for anyone who is sceptical.

(ps, Exophase I've always been meaning to thank you for gpsp =])

This topic is to low on the topic list. I hope Nintendo 64 Emulation will be possible at a time on the pandora.

Plz watch this vid I found on youtube now, it lets us see how awesome the Nintendo 64 is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTry4GwhWQ...feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back