Native Linux Half-Life and Counterstrike on Steam

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
While it's not the Source engine versions or I don't think it is..., I was happy to see these on my game list when I logged into the Linux Steam beta today. Not surprising it runs really well on new hardware..

Good , lets hope in five years no one will have to use windows .

Well, I have it - along with X3: Reunion - but it doesn't launch. Still, exciting times ...

EDIT: launches in windowed mode okay, just not fullscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The orange box came with Half Life: Source, not the original Half-Life (which used the GoldSrc engine). The Linux version is based on the original Half-Life. If you really want it, and don't want to buy it, then I'm fairly sure you can use any CD-KEY to activate it (even one that's been used by loads of other people, if you get my meaning).

That said, it'll probably be on sale soon.

I know, that's all besides the point though. I meant it isn't in the list of Linux games. At least not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if we can get emulate some old version of linux and failingly play HL! (It SHOULD perform better than the test of it with Windows)

Well if there's not already a distribution that just has the minimum amount of stuff required to run Steam, and nothing more, then I'm sure there will be in the future (i.e. an unofficial or a official "SteamBox OS").

Although I don't think qemu works works with 3D yet.

Back