Nethack?

Should I make a PND of this?

• Total voters

^ Don't some of them also remember where you died, so that the next time you (or someone else) plays, your previous character's bones remain? (Or am I misremembering? :p )

I have a friend who absolutely swears by SLASH'EM, as far as Nethack variants go. I could never quite get into it myself, but I've heard some great stories about it. :p

The version of Moria that I played had actual graphics which I think makes the game much more enjoyable.

n:ANd9GcROS9vsGeO1s0bx_zP0S4fDYRX5MuFM-XTCX08as8uWBrNh_qM&t=1&usg=__tszd80XYw2UwwyVJJpZk2oNB_ys=.png

Prometheus said:
^ Don't some of them also remember where you died, so that the next time you (or someone else) plays, your previous character's bones remain? (Or am I misremembering? :p )

I have a friend who absolutely swears by SLASH'EM, as far as Nethack variants go. I could never quite get into it myself, but I've heard some great stories about it. :p

Nethack has previous play ghosts there to greet/attack you and maintains a graveyard. This can actually be beneficial as the ghost drops the gear that it had accumulated.

Nethack is simple at the skin surface level.

Really get into how to play it "well" and you'll find out about dipping things in pools, engraving things in floors, polymorphed pets, canning your own food and more.

Under the surface it is actually quite complex - and can be intensely addictive. Play it a dozen lives or so, then read one of the many Nethack guides, then you'll play it another 100 lives or so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Or run it under DosBox and get the whole experience of navigating with the YKUHLBJN keys.

Can we map the D pad and nubs to letter commands prior to entering DosBox through a custom PND file?

Grench said:
Can we map the D pad and nubs to letter commands prior to entering DosBox through a custom PND file?
DOSBox has an in-built key-mapper that could be used to do this. Unfortunately, its settings are global, so you'd have to remember to change it back before using other stuff.

Prometheus said:
Grench said:
DOSBox has an in-built key-mapper that could be used to do this. Unfortunately, its settings are global, so you'd have to remember to change it back before using other stuff.

Disk (SDHC space) is cheap.

Multiple instances of DOSBox each linked to a PND file for each game or set of game's control mappings?

Why would anyone want to use a dos emulator to run nethack? Whats wrong with the unix version?

I voted no and can't seem to change my vote. :p

Played Nethack this weekend, for a bit then spent far too long playing Crossfire for the first time. Not convinced.

But I think Nethack has its place on a portable.

Now if you want to see ASCII characters put to good use click here. Sure you've all seen it before but still.

Back