New Blog Post

1 D-Pad, 1 Analog stick, 1 trigger, L & R, a, b, 4 "c" buttons, and start.

No game ever required the use of all the buttons. It would have been impossible to play, You would have needed 3 hands.

But... Since we've got them, let's check.
1 D-Pad - Check
1 Analog Stick - Check
L & R - Check
a & b - check
start - check

So the problem is the c buttons and the Z trigger.

C-buttons could be mapped to the second analog stick.

And now we've go two other face buttons - plus menu and select - left over for the Z button.

Where's the problem, now?

chad78 said:
1 D-Pad, 1 Analog stick, 1 trigger, L & R, a, b, 4 "c" buttons, and start.

No game ever required the use of all the buttons. It would have been impossible to play, You would have needed 3 hands.

But... Since we've got them, let's check.
1 D-Pad - Check
1 Analog Stick - Check
L & R - Check
a & b - check
start - check

So the problem is the c buttons and the Z trigger.

C-buttons could be mapped to the second analog stick.

And now we've go two other face buttons - plus menu and select - left over for the Z button.

Where's the problem, now?
Id say that Z is used frequently so should be used for L because it was barly used anyway :p

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
God Ginrai said:
And you try to play some of the more button-happy N64 games with no triggers and no stick clicks to replace such lack of triggers, and then tell me that this will all work out fine and dandy.
Think about that for a second. At most the N64 required (1 x Dpad OR 1 x analogue stick) + 2 regular face buttons + 4 C-buttons + Start button + (2 shoulder buttons OR 1 shoulder + Z trigger).

The Pandora can cover any game by either mapping the C-buttons to the 2nd analogue stick or a combination of face buttons and nearby keys for less-used buttons. From memory, I can't think of a single N64 game which wouldn't be easily playable on Pandora -- please tell me of any that I'm missing?

Try playing Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube, THEN try suggesting mapping BUTTONS to a STICK. It's the same reason people hate trying to use Analogs when the game they want to play uses a Dpad. It's horribly inaccurate, and gives you nightmares. I meant playing an N64 game without mapping C's to the stick.

-God Ginrai

In Ocarina's case, I would map the buttons like this:

A/B = A/B
Z = L shoulder button
R = R shoulder button
C-L = X
C-R = Y
C-D = DEL
C-U = Select

CronoTriggerfan said:
AireTamStorm said:
A month delay = a better experience
A month earlier release = a worse experience

No matter how you look at it, thats what it boils down to guys.
No, that's how your opinion boils down. Besides, I suppose it doesn't matter, as they've already decided to custom build a new nub sans tact switch which won't cause any delays.

You made it quite clear that you would take an off-the-shelf nub over a delay for a better stick, and CraigX made it quite clear that a potentially better nub would cause such a delay:

craigix said:
Well there are 2 options:

Use another off the shelf nub (it probably won't have as much throw as the old one though unless we get lucky)

or we have a custom nub made for us which WILL lead to a huge delay, it would not be ready until September at the earliest.

I guess it depends on how you feel about the travel distance of the nub on handhelds?
Delay or Better nub. Better controls = Better experience, and thats what this all translates to. Your opinion may differ, however. If they can find a nub that is as good as the old one without delays, great. If not, I vote delay.

Yeah, but this discussion is getting too heated, to which I am partly to blame...

Craig has reassured us that they will wait to 'get it right'. That's clearly the right approach. They know it aint vapourware.

The problem with such a device as this that's trying to cover so many bases is that while for some the stick isn't important, for others it is. Those (like me) that mainly want this for homebrew can't stand the thought of another mess like the GP2x one. The idea of soldering (I've never soldered anything in my life, and I don't want to now!!!) is so stupid as to be ridiculous.

But I really believe that if Craigy said there would be another delay to get the UMPC part of it just right, then us who favour the "wait till it's right" approach would also be happy to wait.

So we should just leave it, they have asked us for our opinion and we have overwhelmingly given it (yep-he asked for proof and got it!) I know some of the louder members will want to carry on shouting, (you know who you are *cough*) but hopefully the wait will make them give up and go back to the PSP forums where they belong and probably feel at home! Cos while I hope that lots of new members join these boards, start devving and give me lots of lovely new things to play with some of the newer members are hard to stomach. Really, this place is getting so unpleasant. And I am getting also so unpleasant. I wouldn't like to be me right now. And it's all your fault, chad....

GunPei2X said:
In Ocarina's case, I would map the buttons like this:

A/B = A/B
Z = L shoulder button
R = R shoulder button
C-L = X
C-R = Y
C-D = DEL
C-U = Select
Oh, that seems very awkward. Try mapping A and B to O and P on the keyboard, and then using ABXY for the C-buttons. That should work much better, IMHO.

-God Ginrai

Back