New Pandora Forum At Tapland

Dunny said:
The community on GP32X consists of GP32, GP2X, Wiz and Pandora owners. Someone has suggested a new Pandora forum, and Mr Quote there spouted to the effect that it would be a detrimental split to the community to open a forum dedicated to one aspect of the community - any other explanation just doesn't make sense, as it would be difficult to "split" one aspect of the community.
That's exactly what I meant and what you still don't understand. As you mentioned, GP32X is an open-source community to consoles other than the Pandora. I specifically mentioned that this would split the 'Pandora community' because that's how I see it; This section seems very self-contained and almost a community of its own. Most Pandora members have nothing to do with the GP2X or Wiz, and when the two 'inner communities' mix, there tend to be arguments such as this one.
I dearly wish is wasn't that way, but it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved my Zodiac (rubbish analogue stick aside - take note GPH!) and if my Pandora gives me as much pleasure, I will be very pleased. The community over at Tapland were always helpful and friendly so I am very pleased to see others take the Pandora on board.

As for 'splitting the community' - if a prospective Pandora owner came here for some info, their first impression might not be a good one - it is bedlam in here! The more places with info and discussions the better.

The Zodiac was the only handheld I'm bummed I didn't get. I learned about it after it had died and back then I could have gotten it cheap but decided against it. It is also the only handheld that I have heard nothing but praises from former and current owners. I wonder how much that had to do with the community, and when I think about that I think what the Pandora community will do to the Pandora, scary stuff.

Anyway, I'm guessing if tapland doesn't expand they will die, it needs new devices on it's forum to keep people coming. I don't think I'll go there, I'll probably stick here for Pandora talk/help, but it is nice to see the Pandora being talked about other places.

quote said:
That's exactly what I meant and what you still don't understand. As you mentioned, GP32X is an open-source community to consoles other than the Pandora. I specifically mentioned that this would split the 'Pandora community' because that's how I see it; This section seems very self-contained and almost a community of its own. Most Pandora members have nothing to do with the GP2X or Wiz, and when the two 'inner communities' mix, there tend to be arguments such as this one. late
I dearly wish is wasn't that way, but it is.

I suppose I do see what you mean. It's a shame, it really is - the only reason I'm not more active on the GP2X/GP32 front is that I no longer use those machines (they're gathering dust now), and I don't contribute much to the Wiz forums because GPH took a real wrong turn there - having played on one I can't believe that it's worse than the '2X (love that screen though). IMO, GPH have done far more to divide the open-handheld community than anyone else. There is something to the "Pandora is killing GPH" theme, to be honest, if only by sheer volume of posts.

Pandora section is bloody noisy though. That's one of the reasons I'd like OpenXile to continue to post Pandora news, as it's difficult to make an informed choice about build quality (or lack of it) in amongst all the crap that's going on - with OpenXile having a professed negative leaning towards the Pandora, they might be the balance that's needed... I've not seen any posts on PandoraPress which detail hardware/QA fuckups, just posts about the latest delay and how everything's gonna great in the end.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to get Pandora news is simply "View New Content" and read the threads that are of interest to you. No other blog can supplant the sheer value of doing this on a regular basis, because this crowd collects details about the Pandora like no other - I think most members of these forums are pretty devoted to keeping their forum-fellows up to date, and thats a better team of news collectors than any blog can provide.

I agree with Gruso. It's better to make up a mind and filter information till you have a solid ground. These boards tend to be a bit extreme both in negative or positive things, so it's not advisable to post infos instantly that have to be relativised the next day.

Back