New Pandora Preview

scarath

I dont know if this has been posted yet but there is a new preview of the Pandora on linuxdevices.

They seem to have really done their research, lots of info we already know but some interesting points that i had not read before seeing this.

Good to get the buzz spreading.

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
I dont know if this has been posted yet but there is a new preview of the Pandora on linuxdevices.

A very solid news piece. The linuxdevices community is just the sort of audience that Pandora is made for. I expect we'll see some new faces coming from there soon. Too bad the article didn't link to these forums directly.

My only concern is they refered to several anticipated software projects in the present tense, as though they already exist. I just hope we don't get a bunch of potential users angry when they find out that there is no actual software yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
A very solid news piece.
Alas, I disagree - it's just a rehash of what's on the wiki with some links to the TI released literature about the processor. What I want to read about is who is manufacturing this and where will it be available?

Don't get me wrong I WANT TO BELIEVE - but at the moment all I've seen are some nice mock-ups. If the device is really to be available in April or May they must have some functioning pre-production units already in hand. Why not show us one of those?

Chip said:
The linuxdevices community is just the sort of audience that Pandora is made for.
Yep, I wholeheartedly agree!

Chip said:
I expect we'll see some new faces coming from there soon.
You mean like me? ;-)

BTW - if anyone knows how to get in touch with the Pandora folks and if they're taking volunteers to help (or to purchase beta models) then please PM me...

argor said:
>functioning pre-production units already in hand. Why not show us one of those

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFhhctm9LqY http://youtube.com/watch?v=djt2uLnJk6g

Close but no cigar! ;-)

A collection of bits doesn't make a functioning system. However, I do appreciate seeing these shots. Assuming that case came from a production mold (and not from a rapid prototyper) means a LOT - do you know how stupidly expensive it is to get the molds set up?

jdh2550 said:
Chip said:
A very solid news piece.

Alas, I disagree - it's just a rehash of what's on the wiki with some links to the TI released literature about the processor. What I want to read about is who is manufacturing this and where will it be available?

Unfortunately, the Linuxdevices article covers just about all of the 100% verified info available. The hardware is being designed by Craigix, EvilDragon and MWeston in conjunction with TI (who makes the SoC Pandora is built around) and will be manufactured in an undisclosed factory, probably in China, assuming they can find one that is not too busy making ipod knockoffs :p

Craigix was one of the first GP32 retailers outside of S. Korea, and his store is still the primary outlet for GPH devices for much of Europe. He's been a pillar of the GP community from the beginning, and has been something of an unofficial translator for the GPH factory over the years.

EvilDragon is sort of the German version of Craigix. He's been a part of the community since day 1, and he sells and supports GP users from his shop.

MWeston is a developer who (I assume) was brought in to help sort out the hardware on Pandora. I'm not sure of his actual credentials, but he is part of the development team and has posted some good info and updates over the last few months.

As to where it will be available, we only know Craigix's and EvilDragon's stores for sure. It seems likely that the official US distributer for the GP2X will sell it, but I do not know it they've officially signed on.

Don't get me wrong I WANT TO BELIEVE - but at the moment all I've seen are some nice mock-ups. If the device is really to be available in April or May they must have some functioning pre-production units already in hand. Why not show us one of those?

That's a good point. Squidge certainly has one. How about it Squidge, care to post a pic of the dev board?

BTW - if anyone knows how to get in touch with the Pandora folks and if they're taking volunteers to help (or to purchase beta models) then please PM me...

Craigix's contact info is up on his website - gp2x.co.uk.

If you want an early release unit, get in line :) The plan for releasing the Pandora is to do a test run of 100-200 units and sell them to interested software developers / hardware testers / people willing to put up with not-quite-final hardware. Based on feedback from those early users, minor modifications may be made and an official run of 3000 will be produced. Obviously, additional runs will depend on demand. Exactly when each of these stages will occur is not set in stone. The only thing we know is that there is a goal of an April/May release. Whether that means the first mini-run or the full run, or if either will be ready by then, is unknown.

atomicthumbs said:
I'm useful!
Indeed you are - thank you - your wiki was useful to me!

Chip said:
Craigix was one of the first GP32 retailers outside of S. Korea, and his store is still the primary outlet for GPH devices for much of Europe. He's been a pillar of the GP community from the beginning, and has been something of an unofficial translator for the GPH factory over the years.

EvilDragon is sort of the German version of Craigix. He's been a part of the community since day 1, and he sells and supports GP users from his shop.

MWeston is a developer who (I assume) was brought in to help sort out the hardware on Pandora. I'm not sure of his actual credentials, but he is part of the development team and has posted some good info and updates over the last few months.

Thanks Chip - this is exactly the sort of "orientation" that I'm looking for. I'll go join the back of the line for one of the first couple of hundred. :)

Chip said:
... will be manufactured in an undisclosed factory, probably in China, assuming they can find one that is not too busy making ipod knockoffs :p

I have to correct you there. EvilDragon said on the german board that it will NOT be produced in china, but in the US or Europe.

kanzlr said:
Chip said:
... will be manufactured in an undisclosed factory, probably in China, assuming they can find one that is not too busy making ipod knockoffs :p

I have to correct you there. EvilDragon said on the german board that it will NOT be produced in china, but in the US or Europe.

Well that is news to me. I was making an educated guess with China, since manufacturing is so much cheaper there.

Certainly by this point a plant must have been chosen. Hopefully somebody in the know will enlighten the rest of us.

jdh2550 said:
Assuming that case came from a production mold (and not from a rapid prototyper) means a LOT - do you know how stupidly expensive it is to get the molds set up?
I suspect those came from a rapid prototyper, though I'm not entirely certain. Main reason being that the D-pad/Keyboard/etc are all moulded plastic in that, rather than holes (as you'd expect in a "real" case) or actual components (as you'd expect in a section of the finished device).

But yeah, we're all aware that the molds are prohibitively expensive to set up - mostly because of a comment by MWeston to the effect that they wanted to get the final arrangement of controls before making the molds so they only had to do it once (which implies that it's an expensive process), although that once they'd made the molds they could decide on different colouring because it's just a matter of which pellets they threw in with the plastic...

FTA:
The Pandora is expected to ship in April or May at a price of about $320 US (excluding VAT) or 100 GBP/286 Euros (including VAT). More information can be found on this developer-oriented page, but the official OpenPandora site is still pretty bare bones.

They got this wrong :/. (Although I think it was a typo).

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:

They seem to have really done their research, lots of info we already know but some interesting points that i had not read before seeing this.

Good to get the buzz spreading.

I saw this last night. It is a very thorough article so I had assumed someone from this forum sent them the information but someone there could be a GP2X fan also. :) I'd definitely like it to be clear that only thing Pandora has in common with the GP2X is this forum and the distributors. I guess we all know that here and people passing through probably don't care. ;)

Actually, I had hoped we didn't get on sites like that until later when real pictures and videos are in circulation. I don't like talk of vapour ware because myself, and others, are working too damn hard on this for it to be a figment of our imaginations! ;)

Does anyone know if the red model is still in development I haven't seen any recent pictures of it. Also anyone know the difference between the ARM 8 and the ARM 9, and why they decided to go with the ARM 8? I'm looking forward to this, will be great when they are released. But I am also happy to wait for them to get them right as far as hardware goes. Software can be updated. But I would rather not have to buy a second generation because of a hardware glitch or badly designed setup. Sounds great so far, looking forward to more information. I also thought that the Linux Devices article was well done.

@c0nsum3r said:
Also anyone know the difference between the ARM 8 and the ARM 9, and why they decided to go with the ARM 8?
That's the wonder of switching from one naming system to another. There's a good article on archetecture comparissons here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture . Suffice to say, Cortex A8 is not ARM 8. Actually, it's the one *after* ARM 11.

For comparisson, GBA was ARM7TDMI, GP32 and GP2x are both ARM9TDMI, NDS is one ARM9TDMI and one ARM7TDMI. Cortex currently is not in use, which is one of the reasons Pandora is so cool - we really are getting cutting edge tech here!

Also, nb that:
ARM7TDMI = ARMv4T
ARM9TDMI = ARMv4T
Cortex-A8 = ARMv7-A

kanzlr said:
Chip said:

Here's a quote from craigix:

We have no plans to say where they are being built, it is a series of companies doing various parts, then they are all being assembled in china (most likely).

Original post.

Tobriand said:
@c0nsum3r said:
Also anyone know the difference between the ARM 8 and the ARM 9, and why they decided to go with the ARM 8?
That's the wonder of switching from one naming system to another. There's a good article on archetecture comparissons here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture . Suffice to say, Cortex A8 is not ARM 8. Actually, it's the one *after* ARM 11.

For comparisson, GBA was ARM7TDMI, GP32 and GP2x are both ARM9TDMI, NDS is one ARM9TDMI and one ARM7TDMI. Cortex currently is not in use, which is one of the reasons Pandora is so cool - we really are getting cutting edge tech here!

Also, nb that:
ARM7TDMI = ARMv4T
ARM9TDMI = ARMv4T
Cortex-A8 = ARMv7-A

Thanks, I have been looking for a clarification on that for a while now. I figured that I was getting the ARM 8 confused somehow, that makes perfect sense thanks.

As far as the red Pandora, i really hope they release it in that color. But like I said they are all cool and the hardware is what counts, but still crossing fingers for the red. =]

jdh2550 said:
argor said:
>functioning pre-production units already in hand. Why not show us one of those

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFhhctm9LqY http://youtube.com/watch?v=djt2uLnJk6g

Close but no cigar! ;-)

A collection of bits doesn't make a functioning system. However, I do appreciate seeing these shots. Assuming that case came from a production mold (and not from a rapid prototyper) means a LOT - do you know how stupidly expensive it is to get the molds set up?

Last time out on a similar project I think someone mentioned it was like close to a quarter million to get to hard plastic, is that ballpark?

Back