Sneak Preview Blog Entry

Keep in mind it is a incomplete render, however it depends on the hardness of them, if could be as hard as the keyboards found on some blackberrys, or have a semi rubber like fill to them, making it more grippe, but that may make a bit more sticky after some heavy usage. But I know they tested it so I have faith.

The keyboard looks great! I'm sure it'll feel good to the press.

I reeeeaaaalllyy hope the light-bar idea is real, that shit would be so slick.

Edy said:
Just realized that the three buttons between the nubs haven't any caption. Wasn't they intended to Pandora / Select / Start?
i think ED hasn't gotten around to putting it in the render yet, he said it was unfinished

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence_9 said:

Light bar?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Consequence_9 said:

Light bar?

-God Ginrai

oops, meant to make that plural. And i guess light bar isn't really the best term. having several of the leds under one 'bar' on each side is what i meant. hella sexy tho, lol

TaG said:
They did mention the possibility of blank keymats.
Das Pandora? :D

Das_Keyboard.jpg

I thought Das Keyboard's appeal was the gaming keyboard-like engineering/careful key weighting and so forth, not the obnoxious unlabeled keys. It's really unfriendly to developing muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts with various rarely-practiced keys.

typs lik dis said:
I thought Das Keyboard's appeal was the gaming keyboard-like engineering/careful key weighting and so forth, not the obnoxious unlabeled keys. It's really unfriendly to developing muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts with various rarely-practiced keys.
Das Keyboard's feel is indeed an appeal, but so is the absence of key labeling. Key labeling is such a crutch on a standard keyboard. It makes you type slower.

-God Ginrai

Did anyone notice the LED change?

If you look at the CNC case render image there only appears to be single cutout area for a single LED as opposed to the original design which had several LEDs (showing power/wifi/BT/etc)

The same single LED is shown in ED's photorealistic prints from yesterday

We now seem to have a single one - one either side - a bit like a DS - so I guess it will glow in different colours as well

May be I might be mistaken

Anyone else notice this?

Anyways - we seem to be awash with info lately and it looks like Mweston will have the FDM model on Monday, so we will be able to see the change one way or another on monday - given he had the older FDM base before xmas, I bet they held off for a better fit for the keyboard matt as well as the new LED's

All will be revealed next week I guess

http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

pandorasneak.jpg

I mean look at photo model

Then compare to CNC Picture

final_1.jpg

final_2.jpg

final_3.jpg

What you see on those renders and on older renders with separate 'spots' for every single LED aren't the LEDs themselves. The LEDs are SMD type LEDs soldered directly to the PCB, you can see that on pictures of populated PCBs. Now there is an around 1cm gap that has to be bridged to direct the LED light to the surface of the Case. This bridge is made by clear plastic that transmits the light. It doesn't matter if there are several spots cut out of the case or just one broad bar. The light will be transmitted anyway. The newer version with one single bar will look pretty cool, because you will see neat transitions of the different colors of the LEDs.

Edit:
bent.jpg

On the right edge on the underside(which is actually the upside when assembled) you can see the LEDs.
pboard2.jpg

Top left on this pic.

If im getting this right, the keyboard keys are a hell of a lot like the psp's d-pad. The psp has plastic over the symbol so that when you look from the side, the keys are clear. Is this correct?

mali said:
Night Rider FTW!
:lol:
lmao "What would you like to play today Micheal?"

seriously tho, that would be a sweet ass start up or idle/lid closed effect

PandoraRox said:
If im getting this right, the keyboard keys are a hell of a lot like the psp's d-pad. The psp has plastic over the symbol so that when you look from the side, the keys are clear. Is this correct?
The psp's buttons are completely plastic with a separate rubber membrane underneath. The pandora's are one piece, completely rubber but with a hardened top. They may look similar, but the feel will be vastly different. For comparison the keyboard will be much more like that of some mobile phones (i think the palm pre was given as an example, but no one has one of those to feel just yet, lol)

HOT NEWS! :)
ED said:
Sie sind drunter, sieht man auch ganz genau an der Space-Taste, diese bricht sich ein wenig
Wir wollen die Bedruckung auch in Glow-In-The-Dark-Farbe machen lassen (wird grad noch mit der Firma ausdiskutiert), denn diese leuchten auch im Dunkeln immer ein wenig selber
Free Translation said:
The key printings are underneath the clear coating. We want to make the printings with glow-in-the-dark paint(currently we discuss this with the company), because they will then glow in the dark a little bit.
[expl.] ED said it in a discussion about a keyboard backlight MOD[/expl.]
Reference: http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=77289#p77289

Back