New Pandora Website!

Oh and there's a typo in the about page:

"You can find more about the developers in dhe About Us section on this site."

It looks good, except "the most powerful gaming handheld there is at the time being." - this doesn't sit right with me. Who says something like that?

It also has a new blog post

There is also a new blog post- http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

Yay! We got a new site!

It already has more content than the old one - and we really do hope you like it!

As we're nearing release, we thought we could revamp it a bit - it should make it easier for newcomers to find out what the Pandora is.
We also added status page, which had been a request for months by a lot of people.
There will be more content added during the next weeks, new pictures, articles, infos, etc.

Just stay tuned, there's still a lot of work to be done here.

Now, you're also waiting for some official development news, right?
Well, as you've seen on the last blog post, the prototype TV Out cables and the first mass produced boards have arrived at Michaels place. And guess what: We haven't encountered any problems so far with those! So the boards and the cables have already become a reality. Yay!
Now the only thing we need to wait for are the cases. The mould is still in production - the Pandora apparently is more complex than the company at first thought. They try to finish it before the Chinese Autumn Holidays (which are in October), let's all hope they manage to do this. We'll keep you informed. We're also still trying to get WIP pictures from the mould creation. Would certainly look interesting!

Recently, I've seen a quite a few threads on the boards which were about "how long are you still gonna wait" or other disappointments about the long delays or the currently quiet time without any updates...
Well, I know it's hard - but there's not much we can update at the moment. Everything is finished except for the case mould, and all we can do is wait until the company finishes it. Once they finish it, it's just a matter of days until we have the first REAL final Pandoras in our hands - and then the real fun begins: Mass production. And no, I don't think it will be two months (tm) until the mass production starts... it could start a few days after we have the first real Pandora... and that should be the case within the next weeks!

And as some guy asked at the boards how we handle the situation... well, I can only speak for myself, but I have really mixed feelings.
On the one hand, I'm happy that we have a community like you, following our progress and waiting sooooo patiently. On the other hand, I feel bad because we had so many delays and have your money... then again, I see that the only tiny thing missing is the case, which should also be finished soon, which makes me happy, as it means there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
For me, it's a real rollercoaster ride. And while I'm eagerly awaiting putting this project behind me, I think I'll also miss something when we delivered it. Really weird feelings.
I hope that does answer your questions :)

See you soon!

Hmm, About Us ->

About us

-> cpasjuste

"Besides lots of porting and nub testing, cpasjuste did code the minimal menu with lots of nice eyecandy, PND and PXML-Support for the Pandora."

*cough*

http://git.openpando...s.git;a=summary
http://fw.skeleton.o...ra-dev-woot.jpg
-> real life bombs you and you're doing backend checkins instead of posting warcraft 2 screenshots and bam, forgotten so quick ;)

Need to add me, vimacs and Pickle back in imho ;)

jeff

Don't worry skeezix, I'm gonna add you all during the next days, I was just running out of time (it's 4:40 am here in Germany, and I have to go to work in a few hours... and I wanna get some sleep).
Though you could've send some info about you at the Dev-Thread, that would've made things easier for me ;)

EvilDragon said:
Don't worry skeezix, I'm gonna add you all during the next days, I was just running out of time (it's 4:40 am here in Germany, and I have to go to work in a few hours... and I wanna get some sleep).
Though you could've send some info about you at the Dev-Thread, that would've made things easier for me ;)

Ah jolly good then ;) You know all the real info gets passed through IRC and my wiki ;)

We need to start flashing the image into flash instead of booting off SD soon I think, get that all tested out good :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon it look beautiful. Maybe you can put a link to the unofficial blog :3

Just two questions.
Has a final power cord been decided on? This sounds like it can happen independent of the case mold, and we'd all be happy to know you had them all on hand for assembly. I know it SHOULDN'T cause a delay, but I'd hate to have Murphy raise his head again.

Also, I don't know about the timing on things, but it sounds like once the mold is created the cases can be produced very quickly and the next bottleneck will be the boards, and final assembly of course. I'm assuming that the case mold company has at least a couple of the test boards for final fitting - maybe not, maybe they're just working off the final board's schematic, but either way, is it possible to start producing the boards now? Are you holding off in case something in the case design absolutely requires a mk5 board?

These aren't criticisms, just honest questions on a couple of the other waiting for items on the check list. I think we're all a little news starved, and these seemed to be two things that could be done in parallel to the case mold. Heck, I'd be happy to hear that you had the packaging in place for shipping the assembled units. :b

Cheers guys, and I'm looking forward to having the Pandora in my hand and finally putting 2 Months(tm) to rest!

Edit: changed the wording on the Murphy sentence.

Edit2: The keypads and the TV Out cables look great!

EvilDragon said:

No sooner said than done! That was fast!

Very nice work guys! The site looks very professional and well done. :) I also think the "Current Status" page is a wonderful addition for all those nit-pickers who want to know every little detail of production. Good thinking! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this new site filled with lots of useful information once Pandora's are shipped. If may make a request, I think the Pandora File Archive should be in a place where users are more likely to find it in the future. As of right now, it's okay that it is located under "Developer Info." However, I see this being a problem once the Pandora reaches more casual users. The average user may look for a place to easily download games, etcetera, for their Pandora, and since they are not "developers", I don't believe they would think to look there. ;)

Other than that, I am impressed. Keep up the good work!
I don't know about everyone else here, but I feel as though this site has breathed new life into the Pandora! :D

opps sorry i didn't catch it :p
going through all the links now

edit: aww you put me photobucket album on there i feel so loved :3

Evil <3

Also, in the videos section:

You can also go and visit the Pandora Video Fault

EDIT: It's quite a nice website, but it's not quite as friendly to 800-px-wide resolutions as the old one was. There are more important things to do, of course. :) But ideally, official Pandora websites should be conveniently viewable on an actual Pandora, I think...

EDIT2: Also, the link to the boards should go to the Pandora subsection of GP32X (otherwise, the Wiz boards are at the top). Also, in "current status", "Batterys" should be spelled "Batteries". Also, that last article in "Pandora in the Press" is Bulgarian, not Russian.

Also, some of the links do not work. eg. they go to something like: http://openpandora.org/openpandora.info

looks good, thanks ed. new site and 2 blog updates in one day? your spoiling us.

2nd blog update:
Well, I just saw we have some more news for you.

The final keymat prototype did arrive a few days ago at Michaels place, so we have a nice picture for you.

finkeymat.jpg

Michael did a few tests with it already and the keys really work perfectly! Nice one!
edit: oops, keymat pic being discussed here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49663-picture-of-the-final-keymat/

Back