New Pandora Website!

"Soon available..." doesn't sound right. The correct way would be "Available soon..."

Woo, boards link now comes to the right subforum!

I don't suppose you could *not* make it a pop up (target="_blank") it's really unnecessary (people can right click and use new window/new tab if they really want such functionality). My navigation path here is via OpenPandora.org -> Dev Blog -> Forums and I'm sure a few other people do the same to keep on top of the news.

This definitely a big improvement over the old site, not least by getting rid of a lot of old and conflicting information from the front page. :)

Just a few points:
skeezix said:
"currently the most powerful gaming handheld there is."
I hate be picky, but can you really say "currently" if it's not even out yet?

Also, EvilDragon I assume you're already planning something like this, but you should probably get a native English speaker to edit everything.

Edited to sound less negative. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Alec  said:
"Soon available..." doesn't sound right. The correct way would be "Available soon..."

Agreed. Also, on the "Where to buy" page, we have:

As soon as the first batch is released, pre-orders will be available

This is wrong. As it mentions on the same page:

There's a reason we currently only take Email pre-orders

so... "pre-orders" is now, before the first batch is released. After theya re released you will be taking, one presumes, ORDERS.

Nice to see you already improved the site :)

I noticed that links on the PDF / Priting / Email icons are a bit off. You have to click a bit above the icon...

And yes, I am Nitpicking here ;)
I like the functionality BTW.

Nice to see the site updated, You guys are doing a great job and I can't wait for the device gettin close here
Sincerely a U.S. Soldier Hooah!!!!!

NIIIICCCE! Been dropping by for the past few months (I'm still pulling that you guys'll actually pull this off!) and just wanted to add to the general positive acclaim for the new look. Looks alot more professional and polished now and its great that the specs are fully listed.

Please keep going and keep up with the good work!

Ollonk said:
There is a typo on the "Where to buy" page.
So we can't give you a definate delivery date yet.
Definate should be definite.

... It's what I do. :unsure:

New site looks great, though. I can't wait.
Oh, I see the typo now. It should say "Two Months"
:D
(I know, I'm not funny. I'll go hide my shame now)

Congrats on the new site :)

Could you add some larger font size options, please?

Google Chrome is completely retarded when it comes to scaling. When a fixed-width is set it will happily scale the entire layout of a site wider than the browser window. All you want to do is enlarge the fonts, but you wind up making the site unreadably wide in the process. Because Chrome also doesn't provide for a minimum font size, you're basically screwed. The obvious solution is not to use such a horribly deficient web browser, of course, but I had a quick look into the issue, and...

The offending styles are body {width: 1000px;} in template.css, and a couple of inline styles: #ja-wrapper {min-width: 981px;} and #ja-footer {width: 980px;}. Taking those out would probably be a pain, but I see that there's an easy solution, as you have a javascript font-size option which can be extended rather easily.

The changes required are:
(a) The limitation on switchFontSize() in ja.script.js:
(b) The matching styles in template.css.

If you could change (a) from:
Code:
if (CurrentFontSize+1 < 7)
to:
Code:
if (CurrentFontSize+1 < 12)
(or, maybe, something which looks sane like:
Code:
if (CurrentFontSize < 11)
) and add the following classes for (b), that would be much appreciated:

Code:
body.fs7{
	font-size: 16px;
}
body.fs8{
	font-size: 18px;
}
body.fs9{
	font-size: 20px;
}
body.fs10{
	font-size: 22px;
}
body.fs11{
	font-size: 24px;
}

This is such an easy fix that I figured you wouldn't mind doing it :)

Shadowcat said:
Congrats on the new site :)

Could you add some larger font size options, please?.....
There is a limited font size option just above the country flags in the top right corner (it is not that easy to see)

sebt3 said:
Please remove ED. (once u sleeped enough :D )
You should take your advice.

Alec  said:
I think "Available soon" can't be used by itself.
Product X. Soon to be available
Bla bla about X. Available soon (in stores next to you)

You could say "coming soon" or just simply "to be available in the near future" like other notechnocrap promotions.

And don't put dots with these marketing words, if it's not "...soon" / "soon..." . It's making a bad impression.

EvilDragon said:
And thanks to Kramy, as he offered to spellcheck the complete site, so the english version should definately become better during the next days.
I hope after you sleep well and Kramy's review there will be no scam-wannabe texts. Maybe you read too much it's a scam™

I think this fits the community better.

@Shadowcat

The way Google Chrome and FF scales the site is the right way. I as a webdesigner would hate to have the browser destroy my layout by only scaling the text. The problem here is that the text is too wide.
Typography on the web is a pain in the ass. There are serious problems with accessibility too. It will all come in Web5.2 or something

marshal said:
Nice to see you already improved the site :)

I noticed that links on the PDF / Priting / Email icons are a bit off. You have to click a bit above the icon...

And yes, I am Nitpicking here ;)
I like the functionality BTW.

They do work? I thought ED just hadn't implemented that functionality yet. o.o

-God Ginrai

@Nation.A.List: Thanks. That is actually what my javascript/CSS details were referring to, though :)

@Bagera: I don't want to derail this discussion, but as a web designer (as opposed to print) you need to make your layouts flexible to accommodate a number of variables (of which larger fonts is the most prevalent). If your design breaks when a user scales the fonts up because their eyesight is much worse than your own, then you unquestionably have a bad design; and if a web browser does not enable users to increase the font size without making the page expand beyond the bounds of their browser window, then you unquestionably have a deficient web browser.

I'm merely asking that the workaround that's already in place (and which works with Chrome) be extended slightly to allow for larger fonts than it does at present.

Firefox 3 users can use the 'View -> Zoom -> Zoom text only' option to revert to the original (FF 1 & 2) method of scaling.

Back