new Vs old

@ Stan

When I was mentioning the LEDs, I just mentioned power usage in reference to the increased standbye time with the new kernel. IIRC, juice to the LEDs is more than that of the suspended SOC. I recall this conversation with ED I believe while discussing the new kernels dramatic increase in battery usage.

I can't imagine the LED's used on the pandora sucking up more then 1-3 mA. They are not high brightness LEDs. A regular LED at full brightness uses 2.5 volts at 20 mA.

Nyahaha! Cool! Thanks for uploading that video, Fahrstuhl. It looks way cooler in video than it does in my head. :D

Hmmm... the green power light on the far right has multiple brightness settings (on/standby)...

I wonder if 'someone' could write a program that measures the volume going to the speakers/headphone jack and make the LED lights act as a 'power meeter' - bouncing lights to go with the music?

I'm wondering if anyone ever added any extra LEDs, myself. :p
This is a very old image (edit: I added two high-brightness white leds...):

Image_00009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be cool, if you could extend the lightpipes to point at the keyboard to make the keys easily readable in the dark.

^

Do they make blacklight UV LEDs? I believe I've seen them on microscopes. One of these in the extra light pipes would be pretty bad ass. Does the current white on the keymats illuminate under blacklight? I don't have one right now.

Date on the picture is Jul 16 2010, so my recall is not that good, but I remember that if I put a piece of foil over them to deflect the light, they would light the keyboard - atleast mostly. As is they were useful mostly to blind myself (and also useful if you needed to traverse dark places with the pandora :p )...

Would be cool, if you could extend the lightpipes to point at the keyboard to make the keys easily readable in the dark.

Lean the screen forward to see the keys. Lean it back again to see what you typed.

OK - not as useful.

Something that occurred to me though... What if the keymat were made of a clear rubbery substance instead of black - and the two empty LED pads were connected via wires to LEDs sitting under the F and J keys. The light dispersion would not be regular - there would be two bright areas under those keys - but they would be 'landmarks' for the keyboard center - where it's the hardest to figure out where your thumbs are.

Alternatively you could rough up or braille a few of the key tops using a soldering iron.

Lean the screen forward to see the keys. Lean it back again to see what you typed.

OK - not as useful.

Something that occurred to me though... What if the keymat were made of a clear rubbery substance instead of black - and the two empty LED pads were connected via wires to LEDs sitting under the F and J keys. The light dispersion would not be regular - there would be two bright areas under those keys - but they would be 'landmarks' for the keyboard center - where it's the hardest to figure out where your thumbs are.

Alternatively you could rough up or braille a few of the key tops using a soldering iron.

I think we already have pads specifically for keyboard backlighting....

Not only is the kp_bl ready and waiting for an LED mod, but I'm pretty sure it's also PWM so you can control brightness.

There's also a GPIO in the LCD cable which you could attach an LED to and shine down from the lid somehow.

More than a few modifications you could do to get a lit keyboard. Who's going to be the first to try? :D

I want a lightshow to VanHalens "Jump" on startup :)
Nice idea...a lightshow on startup... ;)

Another nice idea is a music player that uses LEDs to follow the music

I wonder, is it possible to do this on the opening of XFCE ?

Thanx.
It definitely should be. You could put the script into your .xinitrc file but as you need to be root to execute the script you need to adjust your sudo settings (which is potentially harmful... Think of a user-modifiable script that's allowed to be run as root. Maybe just allow the echo > commands? Does that even work with pipes? oo" )

I'll fool around with it a bit and report back.

EDIT: Aaaand... locked myself out of my Pandora -.-

EDIT2: Okay, I've got it to work via sudo and xfce autostart.

As I said, I managed to screw up my sudo settings, so be careful and only use visudo to edit the sudoers files.

I've moved the script into /home/USERNAME/bin/, set it executable with

Code:
chmod +x /home/USERNAME/bin/SCRIPT
and ran a

Code:
 sudo chown root:root /home/USERNAME/bin/SCRIPT
on it.

Then I created the file /etc/sudoers.d/66_leds with

Code:
 sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/66_leds
with the following content:

Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /home/USERNAME/bin/SCRIPT

This allows the script to be run as root by any user from the wheel group without needing their password.

And then went into the Menu -> Settings -> Desktop -> Session and Startup, Tab Application Autostart and added a new app with "sudo /home/USERNAME/bin/SCRIPT &" as the command.

Ah, well, yes, if you want the script to reside in that directory. It doesn't need to be the bin directory, you can actually put that script everywhere you want, just modify everything accordingly. The /home/USERNAME/bin directory is just a convention for custom executable files, as far as I understand.

(You can also add that directory to your PATH, too, if you want to. All that stuff is some common Linux/Unix knowledge. The wiki page http://pandorawiki.org/Basic_Linux_Guide seems to be a good place to start, should you find this interesting.)

Far easier would just to chmod the led files to read/write access by anyone on system profile startup file than fiddling with sudo. Unless you are afraid that normal users can change britghtness of those leds.

Back