Nk's New Snes Emulator

Even though it's slower than SquidgeSNES, it's very encouraging seeing sound and transparencies both working at a nice speed with overclock. With more optimizations, near perfect SNES is will within reach, I think.

Is there a way to full screen games on this emu?

whiskthecat posted on Jul 15 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
In my opinion its only a matter of time until we have perfect snes emulation. The psp homebrew scene almost has it and we are way better than them. :D

better my ass, we also have a way better GBA emu :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:25 AM said:
No, it appears to be significantly slower. I really do wonder what the most stressful bit of SNES emulation is if you nix transparencies. That's a ~2.68 Mhz 65c816 (not a very tough CPU to emulate, certainly not next to a 12 MHz 68000 like in GNGeo) .. then I believe 2 custom VDPs and the audio subsystem, neither one of which I can see being TOO tough if they are done wholly in ARM9 ASM. When scaling and rotation were going on I could see why things should be this stressful, but since they're usually not, it's not readily apparent.

Regardless of the performance, parallel development of emulators for the same systems like this benefits everyone .. as devs can share discoveries and innovations in their implementation. I'm glad to see it.
We have handwritten and debugged ARM9 assembler cores?

If so I must say that the interactions of the cores must be the slow-down.

If not than their needs to be handwritten cores to get it to the speed of DrMD.

I thought that the Genesis was a bit more powerful than the SNES? SNES had more chips and games with extra chips in em, all in all I don't think I like the SNES hardware.

The Genesis hardware was more powerful but simpler. The individual components of the SNES were weaker by themselves but combined to form a more powerful whole. The Genesis hardware is like the Dinobots, all fairly powerful, nothing most of the Decepticons wanted to mess with. The SNES, though, is like the Constructicons. Individually, not very significant, but Devastator was more than a match for even the strongest Autobots.

This was a very nice surprise when I put it on my gp2x last night. I started up actraiser 2 and was very pleased to see transparencies and sound at the same time. It frameskips at least 3 or 4 frames but man it is at least a fairly accurate emulator. Actraiser 1 runs almost fullspeed with no frameskip, sound on, and with transparencies. I wonder how the asm version is going to work out. It's nice having two great snes emulators in the works. Hopefully both emu's can learn from each other if they are being coded in a similar fashion. This is great!

Ravnos posted on Jul 15 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
The Genesis hardware was more powerful but simpler. The individual components of the SNES were weaker by themselves but combined to form a more powerful whole. The Genesis hardware is like the Dinobots, all fairly powerful, nothing most of the Decepticons wanted to mess with. The SNES, though, is like the Constructicons. Individually, not very significant, but Devastator was more than a match for even the strongest Autobots.

LOL I can't believe I actually understood that :lol:

Vollgasasi posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
it's great to have another good snes emulator... didn't davec say it's impossible to have transparencies... shhhheeessshhh

I never said it was impossible to have transparencies. I said transparencies were not likely to happen in an emu and have it run full speed with 0-1 frameskip, sound, and no or minimal OC on the GP2X. That still holds true.

DaveC posted on Jul 15 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
Vollgasasi posted on Jul 15 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
it's great to have another good snes emulator... didn't davec say it's impossible to have transparencies... shhhheeessshhh

I never said it was impossible to have transparencies. I said transparencies were not likely to happen in an emu and have it run full speed with 0-1 frameskip, sound, and no or minimal OC on the GP2X. That still holds true.

anything is possible if you just believe :p

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 15 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

Read the post again.

Anyway that is a retarded statement "anything is possible if you just believe".

So that means you can emulate an Xbox 360 full speed with sound on a GBA then if you "just believe"? Sounds like a weird religeous statement to me ;)

DaveC posted on Jul 15 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 15 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

Read the post again.

Anyway that is a retarded statement "anything is possible if you just believe".

So that means you can emulate an Xbox 360 full speed with sound on a GBA then if you "just believe"? Sounds like a weird religeous statement to me ;)

let me rephase that...
anything within reason is possible if you believe

It seems that this version has been made by someone other than nk, so hold on to your wallets a bit. ;)

Please resolve ambiguity. Define "within reason".

Do you believe it is possible to have full speed snes on the gp2x with excellent compatibility (incl. transparency effects) at a clockspeed that everyone can reach? If not, state what you do believe. Don't just type meaningless and ambiguous statements.

yea i wasnt serious, just wanted to start DaveC again, i'd rather snes on my psp =], though i use gp2x for neogeo and megadrive

I was going to write a long speech on you daveC but arguing with you isn't really worth my time so.....

DaveC ur 2kewl.

Back