Non-gaming Apps

For me, I would like to see really capable internet browising with java/ajax and the ability to access youtube etc and pdf viewer - the dream is if its online I want it.
No 2 is email, followed by multi-format multimedia.

They are the three 'basics'. Next I would love good PIM functionality so I can throw my PDA against a wall.

Then a programming environment as I haven't done any for years and that is something that excites me about Pandora. I'm no dev but to have something in my pocket that I could use to develop on and for really would be fantastic. What a brilliant way to use any free time.

One of the brilliant things about Pandora is the seemingly endless possibilities. You read this thread and people are talking about guitar effects (goes 'WOWWW!!'). Really? Could it possibly? These possibilities are even more exciting than the gaming abilities.

Something I haven't seen a lot of people mentioning that would be sweet would be bittorrent...

imbored said:
Something I haven't seen a lot of people mentioning that would be sweet would be bittorrent...
Hmm... dunno. BitTorrent is a decidedly non-mobile application. Especially since you'd have to use a USB HDD (constant read/write activity on an SD card wouldn't be so good).

You never know though. Some crazy cat will probably port something eventually. Maybe it would come in handy for the occasional emergency download. It wouldn't encourage sharing though (there's no way I'd leave Pandora tied to my desk seeding for hours :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
imbored said:
Good luck getting that ;)

Given that Java will be available, Azureus should be available immediately, but it's a CPU and memory hog. It shouldn't be difficult to port one of the Python clients either, I don't know about others, but I suspect that you won't have to wait long.
SD wear is not really as much of a problem as people make it out to be.

Deluge should work quite well considering it is written in Python. Transmission would be nice, but I don't know if it has been ported to ARM let alone Hildonized. Rtorrent should be possible as well.

Megamixman said:
Deluge should work quite well considering it is written in Python. Transmission would be nice, but I don't know if it has been ported to ARM let alone Hildonized. Rtorrent should be possible as well.
Transmission has been ported to arm, and is hildonized. I have it on my n800. :D

I guess I've been living under a rock or something, because I didn't know torrents were possible on portable devices, just for mid- to higher end computers. Then again, I've never really bothered to use the damn things.

I would like to see...
• Any kind of P2P (Soulseek on iPhone works, can't see why Bittorrent etc. wouldn't work on Pandora)
• Flash (not going to happen)
• Java (because I don't think we'll get flash)
• A good FTP and Web server (OpenSSH and Apache?)
• QEMU or VMWare or whatever (Since Wine won't work)

jbr said:
I would like to see...
• Any kind of P2P (Soulseek on iPhone works, can't see why Bittorrent etc. wouldn't work on Pandora)
• Flash (not going to happen)
• Java (because I don't think we'll get flash)
• A good FTP and Web server (OpenSSH and Apache?)
• QEMU or VMWare or whatever (Since Wine won't work)
• There is no technical reason that the Pandora could not have a BT client. There are plenty of logical reasons why it probably won't.
• Flash is actually pretty likely, at least in some form. Adobe just opened up the specs to the format and removed licensing fees, so game on.
• I'm hoping for Java support too. There is some limited Java functionality built into the OMAP SoC, but I don't believe that guarantees anything.
• Do you really need a web or FTP server on a handheld device? Really?
• The ARM port of QEMU is still under development, and VMware is a virtual machine program (not what you want). There is quite a bit of interest in DOSbox (what you do want), so a port will probably happen sooner or later. Don't expect stellar performance, though - we'll be lucky to get mid-range 386 speeds out of it.

I don't get the desire for BitTorrent. I'm not saying it's wrong or stupid or anything - I'm just saying I don't understand. That's not a very mobile thing. You have to have a constant Internet connection - you have to have storage, and it is a drain on battery power, RAM, CPU, and storage. I mean, do people really plan on the Pandora being their only computer - that's the only reason I could see wanting P2P on it. Leave your desktop - or old heavy laptop at home running P2P - and play (more than games) on your Pandora.

FTP I could understand (I asked for it. :) ) But that's if I need to get stuff off, (or on) my Pandora. This is especially true since it doesn't have BlueTooth. Give me BlueTooth, and I won't need FTP.... as much.... No, I'll still need it - but give me BlueTooth anyway.

You don't need a webserver on a handheld. If you are geeky enough to want to do this - be geeky enough to port it yourself. (BTW, I consider myself a geek - so that's not an insult.)

I do *not* want to run a virtual machine on my Pandora - you are welcome to do so. Virtualization is crazy power hungry. I do not recommend it on anything less than 2 Ghz - *and* - with 2 cores.

That said - it would be crazy awesome to have Mini vMac on my Pandora!!!

{edit} === They've already got it on Maemo! - they are just working on the keyboard!!! ===

Well to be honest, I would really like to see quite a few homebrew security sowftware on the Pandora. Encryption, Startup password and even something incase your pandora gets stolen (The Psp had homebrew software avalible[beta version] that every time yoiu started up the psp, it would send an email, quietly, throught the nearest unprotect wifi source with the Ip address of the router). The last one is a little far out there but I think it would be great! We need stuff to protect our pandoras.
:ph34r: {[( :pandora1: )]} :ph34r:

Password safe would be nice as well.

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine!

P.s: Is it theoretically possible for some to develop a "Spyware" for the Pandora or even viruses? I know that this is very very very unlikely but I thought I heard something about a Psp bricking virus, that got to unsuspecting downloaders....................................(can't quite recall)

P.s.s: What about a internet video phone. Being able to walk around with a pandora (with a small laptop webcam) and looking at the people you were talking to over a internet phone would be so F******(excuse my french) cool!

chad78 said:
I don't get the desire for BitTorrent. I'm not saying it's wrong or stupid or anything - I'm just saying I don't understand. That's not a very mobile thing. You have to have a constant Internet connection - you have to have storage, and it is a drain on battery power, RAM, CPU, and storage. I mean, do people really plan on the Pandora being their only computer - that's the only reason I could see wanting P2P on it. Leave your desktop - or old heavy laptop at home running P2P - and play (more than games) on your Pandora.
This is this is the second most intelligent thing you've ever said.

Now.. FTP. You want bluetooth. One of the Bluetooth file transfer methods is FTP. So depending on the bluetooth stack.. you get the point. And nobody is stopping you from plugging a bluetooth USB dongle in. There are many different models that have drivers that compile on ARM.

But as far as FTP goes.. SMB actually makes more sence. As its more user friendly. And also the standard on F-100's. I beleve this TCP over USB method used by the F-100 is still the best method for the Pandora. Of course you get SMB on your wi-fi as a side effect.

The reality is that Qemu or VMware is pointless. If you want to play windows games get an eeepc. Dosbox will work. Its allready on Gp2x. And the only good game on mac is marathon. And there is allready an engine ported to 2x that runs that.

A webserver. Well your running linux. and im pretty sure somebody allready ported some random webserver to arm. ( i think even apache has an arm version) so its done.. its pointless. but its done.

Something that would be useful is a modded version of Evolution. I want mail. From exchange. And i dont want to use OWA.

A decent fullscreen touch active calculator. Like a Decent TI one would be nice. (i know there are emus for them on 2x)

A sound recorder.

A note app. Tomboy or something like it.

RDP client. Its more useful then you would imagine.

My 2c

chad78 said:
I don't anticipate using it much, but it could be useful - say you've taken your Pandora on a trip, you stop to rest somewhere and you decide you want to watch a TV show, but you've forgotten to load it on the SD card...

Also, I don't know how hard it would be to port SheepShaver to ARM, but I know there are Basilisk II ports for various ARM-based handhelds already.

SSH will be a given. Has Gnome-RDP been hildonized?

Tom` said:
I don't anticipate using it much, but it could be useful - say you've taken your Pandora on a trip, you stop to rest somewhere and you decide you want to watch a TV show, but you've forgotten to load it on the SD card...
What superfast BitTorrent have you been using? :blink:

You stop to rest and you want download a TV Show before you go to bed - and you watch it that night!?

Personally, I'd just use Hulu.com (assuming Flash gets ported).

Or, ya know, the TV in this WiFi enabled hotel that I'm staying in.

chad78 said:
What superfast BitTorrent have you been using? :blink:
I've downloaded very well seeded TV shows (~24minutes) in around 5 minutes before.

You stop to rest and you want download a TV Show before you go to bed - and you watch it that night!?

chad78 said:
Personally, I'd just use Hulu.com (assuming Flash gets ported).
Or, ya know, the TV in this WiFi enabled hotel that I'm staying in.
I'll take the HD encoded episode personally.

The only real reason I'd want BT on Pandora is because I don't like having my computer on while I sleep (noise, even just a little keeps me up) but I want to be able to seed things. I'd probably need to share an external hard drive between the Pandora and PC though.

In that respect, I have just started to use Orb on my PC at home and the prospect of being able to watch TV and/or my video collection from anywhere that has a decent Wifi connection and on a device that supports Flash is great. :)

Back