Non-gaming Apps

chad78 said:
I do *not* want to run a virtual machine on my Pandora - you are welcome to do so. Virtualization is crazy power hungry. I do not recommend it on anything less than 2 Ghz - *and* - with 2 cores.
1- Virtualization is not possible on the pandora (ARM vs x86) (I mean pc virtualization, as others said VMWare)
2- Virtualization is not power hungry. I run windows xp full speed (VMWare) on an athlon xp 1700 (1,4Ghz monocore) and on an athlon 64 3400 (2,4Ghz monocore) Virtualization means the "virtualized" code is running natively, not emulated, and so it runs full speed, the only slowdown is the emulation of devices, like the chipsets, the video card, the netword card...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna see an IDE! So do it! :p
At least an editor with c and c++ syntax highlighting and a compiler.

Exophase said:
I don't like having my computer on while I sleep (noise, even just a little keeps me up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXkWjEv4Xo ;)

Anyway back on topic. :)

I would like to see:
  • A web browser preferably with flash support
  • A media player (videos + music + photos)
  • A PDF viewer
  • An e-book reader
  • A clock with an alarm function
  • A youtube + similar sites video downloader
  • A screenshot taking app
  • An RSS feed reader

Lurkio said:
[*]A screenshot taking app
This is a really good idea, but not as a standalone app. Screencapping should be built into the OS so that it works in every program. Something like FN + both shoulder buttons would be a good combo.

Insanemal said:
This is this is the second most intelligent thing you've ever said.
Will you stop with the unbased personal attacks? Stop bringing other shit into it.

But hell, if we want to throw some needless a attacks on people, you can't spell or use grammar at all! Your username is dumb and childish! You make gigantic posts about your opinions that no one wants to hear!

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded........."
(Not my quote) but still, I think everyone needs to just step away from the keyboard a minute and calm down.

-Spadoof :gp2x

You will soon be mine :pandora1:

So, it sounds like using the Maemo platform here would make a lot of sense. Most of the apps that people are looking for are already available for maemo.

As far as non-gaming apps go, I would just like a nice text editor, really. Just a text editor with the usual set of unobtrusive options that could perhaps be called up with a particular key-combo in order to keep them out of the way.

Though, that said, if there is Java, I could probably use JDarkRoom... :)

text editor? cli or gui based? i know there is nano and vim for cli. but i havent used a nice gui one yet. if you know of one, whats it called?

sabregolly said:
Is OpenOffice not a possibility?
It's certainly a possibility, but it's not ideal. Openoffice is too resource intensive to be practical on the Pandora. You'd get the same functionality and less bloat from standalone apps like Abiword and Gnumeric.

Chip said:
sabregolly said:
Is OpenOffice not a possibility?
It's certainly a possibility, but it's not ideal. Openoffice is too resource intensive to be practical on the Pandora. You'd get the same functionality and less bloat from standalone apps like Abiword and Gnumeric.

For my purposes, I'd like a word processor with drawing tools and mathematical formulae entry... I don't think Abiword does that.

But then again... I have a laptop for doing evil work like that... I suppose I should use the pandora mainly for the fun stuff!

If not OpenOffice, some kind of office suite would be excellent. If not that, a full-featured Word processor of some sort is a definite must sometime in the future. I don't particularly like AbiWord as a desktop word processor, but it does seem like an ideal fit on Pandora. Only time will tell, though!

Insanemal said:
text editor? cli or gui based? i know there is nano and vim for cli. but i havent used a nice gui one yet. if you know of one, whats it called?
I don't mind either way, there. :p

As far as GUI-based text editors go, I personally rather like KWrite. With terminal-based editors I tend to lean toward nano.

Prometheus said:
Insanemal said:
I don't mind either way, there. :p

As far as GUI-based text editors go, I personally rather like KWrite. With terminal-based editors I tend to lean toward nano.

I quite like Nano
It's pretty straight forward for new users to learn, as most of the basic commands you need are displayed on the bottom of the terminal.
Took me all of 3 seconds to learn how to save changes etc., where as with VI I had to read the manual for the correct keyboard shortcuts.

Prometheus said:
As far as GUI-based text editors go, I personally rather like KWrite.
Me too. I actually use the full Kate, since it's a mini-IDE (multiple sessions (like multiple projects) and an embedded terminal to compile things.

sindbad said:
Prometheus said:
As far as GUI-based text editors go, I personally rather like KWrite.
I actually use the full Kate, since it's a mini-IDE (multiple sessions (like multiple projects) and an embedded terminal to compile things.

I use Kate for editing simple scripts and web pages. It lays documents out in nice hierarchy and colour coded and I like the use of sessions. Although other packages have many of the same functions, Kate seems very intuitive. If Pandora could use Kate I would be well pleased.

Doesn't Kate use a number of KDE 'components' (not sure of correct term)? Would Pandora be able to handle these - can anyone with more technical knowledge enlighten me here. Is there any rule of thumb for determining what linux apps could be used relatively easily / with a lot of effort / not at all? Even in these forums alone there are statements along the lines of 'its linux so it will work' and other statements suggesting various apps won't work.

Kate depends on kde-core and has kio_slaves as optional. And of course Qt. I'm quite confident that most of KDE will work well, but might need storage on an SD card.

Back