Notaz and his Pandora!!

notaz said:
Oh wow, I thought this thread was sabotaged and derailed ages ago.

Yes it works fine without a battery with my PSP adepter. For a long time it would just reset whenever higher load came up (turning on the backlight), but after combination of software and hardware tweaks it works.

'round here we're so good at dereailing that we can derail a thread right back onto topic!

Thanks kindly for the rapid (and positive!) reply - that is great to hear :D

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
notaz said:
Yes it works fine without a battery with my PSP adepter. For a long time it would just reset whenever higher load came up (turning on the backlight), but after combination of software and hardware tweaks it works.
Yesssss!!!

Hardware Tweaks.. like warranty voiding hardware tweaks?

Asmo said:
mali said:
notaz said:
Yesssss!!!

Hardware Tweaks.. like warranty voiding hardware tweaks?

Errm, nope, since those tweaks are already done on the final boards ;)

I had no problem removing and reinserting the battery while the system was running off AC.
The only thing that stopped was charging when the battery was removed ;)
Though it started to recharge once I popped it back in :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:

I had no problem removing and reinserting the battery while the system was running off AC.
So, the 1A maximium current problem was solely software related?
Did you try maxing out power consumption by turning on Wifi, etc. after you removed the battery?

EvilDragon said:

I thought this (Notaz's unit) was one of the final boards (the famous 105)?
Or is he saying that the problem was resolved before he even received it? I thought he was saying he did the tweaks himself!

Asmo said:
I thought this (Notaz's unit) was one of the final boards (the famous 105)?
Or is he saying that the problem was resolved before he even received it? I thought he was saying he did the tweaks himself!
It might have been that notaz made only software tweaks...

The cavalier way Notaz explained the fix made me believe this was fixed for quite some time now. I.E. before the 105 were produced.

EvilDragon said:
Awesome!!!

Phawx said:
The cavalier way Notaz explained the fix made me believe this was fixed for quite some time now. I.E. before the 105 were produced.
Yeah it was tweaked a revision or 2 back. Or maybe it was a revert of some older "bad" tweak, don't know the details, in either case the current ones have it right.

notaz said:
Vlynndar said:
Poem58 said:
Why Doesn't someone just PM Notaz? His new pics showed the Pandora next to a PSP, maybe he can just yank the battery and plug in his PSP adapter and then we can have a definite answer as to if the battery has to be there or not!? I'm really surprised that this late in the game there are still not definite answers to something like this.
I remember reading that if the battery was unable to charge that was OK, but it had to be there for the AC to function. So in less than a minute Notaz could solve the issue once and for all. I would ask him myslef but my internet access is temporarily out and I can only catch a nearby access point for a few moments at a time. Here's hoping THIS goes through to the router on the next block!

Look, it's a question about Notaz's Pandora.
Oh wow, I thought this thread was sabotaged and derailed ages ago.

Thanks for posting those pix and that.

better late than never: thank you notaz for making such a great, unbiased review of the test unit.
notaz said:
cons:
- loose hinge, can only have it fully open or fully closed.
I remember complaining about the hinge exactly how you describe it, when craig released a video on youtube here
people got pretty mad at me, including craigix himself, he'd reply to me in the next uploaded video here

I thank the OP team for everything to be going alright now (fixing this case problem), but please don't irritate such a long date consumer and friend, I did have a point after all.

That's selective quoting, isn't it? ;)

notaz said:
- loose hinge, can only have it fully open or fully closed. I think this is the one which suffered Craig's merciless hinge testing.

This was actually confirmed by Craig, who has said that he sent his unit to Notaz...

but when it was a mere nobody on youtube, sure, everyone downvoted and even craig complained. <_<
I like craig and most of the OP team, I just don't like when I'm correct and people argue with me like that, like a group of fanboys.
and I still haven't heard a thing about the pandora going zodiac-crazy (analog on drugs) on one of the quake 3 videos...

(yeah, I only quoted what I wanted to talk about, not the whole thing :p)

I may be missing your point, but he doesn't seem to be agreeing with you.
He may say it's loose but he also mentioned why it maybe the case, which was confirmed.
That units hinge was actually tested, literally to destruction.
So you could say why does it work at all if anything :D

you are. I said there was a hinge problem, everyone yelled at me.
the case notaz received is pretty much like the one used in the videos I linked above and complained about.
then it got fixed, and now it's ok (as the last craig hinge video suggests) :)

EvilDragon said:

Si, this a confirmation that the Pandora will work without the battery/while charging the battery? :D

Working with no battery is pretty new. Every board since rev1 was capable of it based on a connection being populated or not with a specific part. Recently, the final decision on which part to populate was made based on the performance of the battery charger. There was a software fix to re-enable a bit that the TI boot ROM had turned off before it exited. This was messing stuff up with the adapter input path and caused the board to reboot in an infinite cycle once the board current got above a couple hundred milliamps, sometimes less and sometimes more. Since the fix, I've only seen one board not work without the battery and it had other issues which may have been related.

The no-battery mode is still being considered experimental until thousands of customers all say it works, but it certainly doesn't damage anything to use it in this way and requires no internal modifications. Also, the 1A restriction on no-battery mode is a hardware limitation designed in by TI and not something that can be changed. I have played games, operated the WiFi and done all the normal stuff on adapter only and it worked fine. The current never peaked above about 720mA so it was under the 1A limit. You just can't expect to power stuff with the host port while the battery is out.

Back