Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Maybe it's how you define polished.

Pandoras emulators usually are spot-on when it comes to accuracy of the emulator, but they often lack a good GUI.

I don't know how it is with Android, but I guess they all have a proper GUI, but maybe some aren't running 100% as good?

One guy above mentioned PCSX ReARMed, which I also guess is still better than any PSX Emulator on Android.

Could that be the reason?

I guess Android also mostly has the common stuff. I actually enjoyed Virtualboy emulation with red/green glasses on my Pandora - do such uncommon emulators exist on Android?

the only noticeable difference in favor of the pandora I find is the slight audio lag in android.

mario jumps and a millisecond later (while halfway up in the air) you hear the jump sound.

Computer consoles that used a keyboard aren't a natural transition and the pandora definitely does that better.

All other aspects, interface, options, features, and performance, for console games, I have to say the shield just has the better hardware processor/screen and a easier to use experience.

EDIT: once retroarch works more naturally on the sheild (I heard the latest dev release fixes the issue) then pcsx rearmed will work as well.

EDIT2: virtualboy works in retroarch, don't know if the 3d glasses do

EDIT3: I guess this is as good as time as any to show off that video I didn't feel met my own personal standards (a better one is coming, promise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYClu8OWJns

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ok.  Sorry for the late response due to traveling today (currently at the airport). So I guess I've poked the hornet's net against those new Shield owners.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Shield, but emulation on it is kind of put me down.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10.5pt]For PS1, I tried both [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]PSxe and FPse - I can tell you PCSX-ReArmed on the Pandora beats these two on the Shield hands down.  Though the speeds are 100% on the Shield, the quality of the graphics/textures are not as eye-candy as they are on PCSX-ReArmed.  Maybe it's just me, but the graphics look ugly on the Shield compared to those on the Pandora's PCSX-ReArmed.  Try Metal Gear Solid and you’ll see – maybe I’m too picky.  The other thing, maybe just me, is the mapping of the control to the Shield's physical control.  I spent too much time trying to do this but the D-Pad does not work. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10.5pt]I tried SNES (forgot the exact name of the emulator but it doesn’t matter) play some Donkey Kong Country.  Again, Snesx4P on the Pandora beat this one hands down.  Pretty much same reasons as in (1) above.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=10.5pt]Tried the NES emulator.  It ran 100%, but then againd Pandora’s GPFCE is also ran 100% but with way better graphics.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=10.5pt]Tried GBA and play some Castlevania and it ran 100% on the Shield.  However, Pandora’s gpSP is also run 100% and also way better IMO in terms of graphics.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=10.5pt]Didn’t tried Mulpen64.  So don’t know much about this.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=10.5pt]Didn’t try any Neo Geo emulators, but I can bet my house that Panmame, GnGeo, FBACapex on Pandora will beat those on Android hands down.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=10.5pt]Oh, and Genesis, well what’s better than Pandora’s PicoDrive?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The GUI for the emus on Android are nice, but who cares.  The performance and graphics the emulator produce take precedence.  I’m not saying the Shield is not good.  It’s a beast but the emulators on Android are not optimized to use its power.  I don’t think devs will optimize their emulators for the Shield anytime soon.  So Pandora emulation is still the KING for a forseeable future.[/SIZE]

You can get PCSX-reARMed on Android with RetroArch.
Yes and it works very well too.

I really like the Pandora even with all it's faults but in all fairness the Shield just came out a week ago. Given the specs there is just no way the Pandora can compete with it graphically,game play and audio wise. I am sure in the coming months developers will create software that shows the Shield's true abilities as far as any type of gaming is concerned.

The potential and possibilities boggle my mind  :wacko:

Last edited:
If any one likes jet ski//water racing games you have to download Riptide 2..it's a beauty.

I recently rooted, rom'd and recustomized my phone.  Droid Razr HD MAXX (xt926) if it means anything to anyone.  Running a nightly build (still unofficial I belive) cyanogenmod 10.2 (android 4.3) and other than a bit of issues with bluetooth audio, it has been working rock solid for me.  I have a usb gamepad that I can use either through a usb stand/dock or OTG cable, or I have a bluetooth nyko gamepad.

I installed epsxe 1.9.5 and mupen64 plus AE, and while I'm mostly happy with the speed and quality of the emulation, it does leave me with the controls issue.  The usb gamepad seems to work nicely enough if I feel like dragging it along, but the bluetooth nyko pad seems to not always respond to the controls as well.  

I guess I am sharing all this as while not perfect, it does fill my need for a pandora like device now, given that unless someone wants to correct me, n64 and psx emulation would be the most cpu/gpu intensive operations normally done on a pandora.  I have a 4.7" screen with HDMI out, stereo audio out, bluetooth, 4G internet, the on-screen swype keyboard functions adequately for most things.

Almost at the 5 year mark now waiting on anything from my preordered pandora, 1 year mark since I changed that to a refund, and coming up on 1 year mark for my icp/icp2 kickstarter.  (yes, Craig's line about 'but look how smooth the icp1 went' worked on me )

Sorry if I got off topic, I think android emulation talk got me started.

I haven't got a Googleaccount or whatever you need to get any Androidgames on the device

and I love Pandoras library of PC-Gameports and Hombrewgames besides the superb emulation.

Plus I would look a bit weird with a big bulky gamepad in the park.

Although I normally prefer gaming with a good grip, my bags are rather small and the formfactor has its disadvantages.

Regarding the weight: I like to play lying in bed before sleeping and in these positions, weight is quite important and the Pandora

is nearly too heavy for it, but regarding the great batterylife, a good compromise between formfactor, weight, mobility, battery life and playability has been made with Pandora.

It deserves a design award for this.

I do not see these advantages with the shield, so no matter the hardware specs, I do not think, that it is a device for me or most of the other Pandorians.

Ignoring all the aspects that are important for me, it is a nice designed device at a reasonable price, if you already got an Android app collection.

retroarch has an update out on google play that fixes the mapping issues and autoconfigures settings to run just absolutely perfect buttery smooth 60fps no frameskip on shield... today is an awesome day for emulators, first drastic, now this!

retroarch has an update out on google play that fixes the mapping issues and autoconfigures settings to run just absolutely perfect buttery smooth 60fps no frameskip on shield... today is an awesome day for emulators, first drastic, now this!
Damn, this thing sounds awesome. I can't wait!

To those of you who are running N64 games, how does Paper Mario, Mario Golf, and Perfect Dark run?

Chris

EDIT: BTW, where are the video's? ;)

I just got a new camera in the mail today just for recording videos so hope to start pumping them out

EDIT: my name is finally free!!!!! NINJA SWITCH!

Yeah, I saw that vid yesterday, and didn't bother linking here, as showing one game in an emulator is just about the most worthless video you can make. 

Now this is a good review in regards to the overall system. If any of our members make some emu vids, please show more than one game :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id64dCJ9WI

Chris

Does anyone know where to put PSX Bios to use RetroArch on the Shield?  It says to put it in RetroArch system folder but I don't find that folder anywhere.

Thanks,

I just put it in the folder all my roms are in and it works good for me. I may be using hle though, not sure, games run good though

Does it say BIOS not found when you start the game?

EDIT1:  Yeah like you said, just dumb the bios in with the game.  Weird, the RetroArch dev should have coded the program so that in will only look into a dedicated bios folder.  Anyway, it works.  Thanks

EDIT2:  PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch runs PERFECT!!! I mean PERFECT on the Shield!  Let me say this the graphics here are breathtaking due to the Shield superior Screen.  

Back