Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

You are true EvilDragon and thank you for your honesty I never want to be a foe but can you say I am a friend? ;)  ....now for something completely different..........CRAZY TAXI is on the Shield store!!!!!!......4.99 usd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bull it is. Downloading now!!!
Downloading.... :D

I never wanted to be foe ;)

But it's nothing special in my opinion that a five year old device has worse specs than a current one.

To be honest, I would be shocked if it would be different ;)

But that still doesn't mean it's the better device for everyone out there. :)
Please make P2!!!!! so you can shut this Coco up  :D and show NVidia how a gaming device for hardcore gamers should be  :D  like you showed how an emulation powerhouse P1 should be 5 years ago

Last edited by a moderator:

But it's nothing special in my opinion that a five year old device has worse specs than a current one.

Nor did I ;) ...I respect your tenacity and honesty here. I would love to meet you one day and perhaps I will. 

You are a good fellow.

You are true EvilDragon and thank you for your honesty I never want to be a foe but can you say I am a friend? ;)  ....now for something completely different..........CRAZY TAXI is on the Shield store!!!!!!......4.99 usd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bull it is. Downloading now!!!
Downloading.... :D

Please make P2!!!!! so you can shut this Coco up  :D and show NVidia how a gaming device for hardcore gamers should be  :D  like you showed how an emulation powerhouse P1 should be 5 years ago
ha ha  :lol: ..mouth wide open  :p

I would buy one if they were remotely available in the uk but will not be ripped off with extra tax and the prices on ebay are a joke

I would buy one if they were remotely available in the uk but will not be ripped off with extra tax and the prices on ebay are a joke
Just saying if anyone fancies the new nexus 7 2nd generation go to tesco direct online this week preorder it and enter the promo code for £20 off any tablet over 150 pounds and get it for 179 pounds only till the 26th just ordered

show NVidia how a gaming device for hardcore gamers should be  :D  like you showed how an emulation powerhouse P1 should be 5 years ago
Quoted for emphasis, if you took the things shield got right and made them better.... it blows the mind just thinking about it.

ED, you may not be in the position to get a P2 out the door just yet, but I would use the arrival of the shield to really start pushing in that direction if you could, I love your buisness ethic and practices and don't want to see you go stagnant because of this. Might want to consider a kick starter or independent investors or a combination of the two. Get whatever backlog you plan on kicking out the door (craig's orders or whatever) and get your nose to the grindstone. Time's not on your side after this one, if you haven't already started seeing a decline in sales, you might soon. If the shield had ended up being a turd it was going on ebay and I was going to use the money to upgrade to a 1Ghz model... sadly that's not going to happen for me. A part of me feels there's others that may be in the same position or weighing to two options reading this exact thread right now.

Also I missed a part before about how you improve on perfect emulation. While I agree most everything up to and including PS1 emulation is pixel perfect on the pandora, anything above that level sees problems. N64 isn't perfect on the shield but it's a hell of a lot better than the pandora, but that's only the beginning though, most of it's limitations on the shield are software related where I think on the pandora it might be hardware (video) related. Then you have PSP (PPSSPP), side by side there's no comparison between the two sadly (exceptionally playable vs not playable). Then there's sega saturn (yabause) kinda sucks on shield but it's a joke on the pandora... and some of your more demanding mame titles (video comming soon, it's kinda scary, but it's worth watching) Perfect NDS vs mostly playable with frameskip on the pandora.. Then you got the next generation consoles that may become playable eventually.

Given all that new capabilites and enjoyable games, there's also fancy filters and new rendering possibilites that are possible because of the added specs on "perfect emulation" that is one way to improve on perfection.

I'm a man who loves himself some emulators... and up until this point I've pointed many people your direction because you had the best of the best, but the crown has switched hands.

Even if I would release an updated Pandora 2 using the Tegra4, I would keep it pocketable, so the bigger Shield screen will look more impressive, but you can't put it in your pocket. 

I would also keep the Linux OS and not officially support Steam streaming.
I Think you can have a very "pocketable" device, even a powerful one. I recently found this "Smartwatch" project on Kickstarter. It's an rugged Smartwatch that can work of it's own, without an smartphone somewhere. And it has an Dual Core Cortex A7 – 1.3GHz built in! In a Wristwatch!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

Not sure how powerful the Hardware really is but if they can get a 1.3GHz Dual Core into a Watch that size, I'm sure we can get an powerful "Pandora 2" not bigger than the current one and still have enough room for a huge battery. :)

Actually Crazy Taxi got shield support about a week ago. I didn't post the information, as I figured anyone with a Shield would have known, and I just didn't think interest would have been that high. I haven't played it in years, but it was a very good game when it was released. I don't know how well it has held up, but I may give it a go.

In regards to some of the comments that the Shield isn't really portable, personally I haven't found anything to be really portable since the DS lite and the WIZ. I think the Pandora is way to big, but I find everything else to be big as well. Of course the Shield is the biggest of the bunch, but I don't think most of the devices in question are all that small either.

I'm a backpack guy, so if I'm going to an appointment or some form of travel, I've got a backpack or some form of luggage, so any of the current devices fit me well in regards to size. As long as it's fits my bag, or the passenger seat of my car, I'm good to go.

I love the Pandora's form factor, but I've never thought of it as portable. I remember some of the early reviews, showing it along side the devices of the time, and it was HUGE. I've never personally change that picture in my mind. So while I'm sure the Shield is BIG, that won't bother me at all. Now the weight, that's a different matter :p

Chris

Can you use one of those mapping apps to map touch controls to the shields real controls?

HI, I`m curious to know if anyone has tested and used the  GPS mode of the Shield, as I read on Wikipedia that its includes one. How capable is it in relation to a stand-alone GPS unit?

...Patnik.

I use game keyboard but rooting is required to use... rooting is trivial as the bootloader comes unlockable out of the box, so you use the flashboot utility to flash a unsecure boot.img and install su and it's done. gamekeyboard works great but is a purchased app in the playstore. Tincore has been reported to work good as well but needs sideloaded for some unknown reason (flag related)

gps works in google maps, you download the maps for offline useage and turn on gps and it just works. It's aGPS so it does some crazy math to figure out your possition instead of constantly tracking specific satalites, works well from my limited testing. I don't find it specifically useful because you can't just hop on and ask for directions to places it doesn't know about (shops etc), but if you're on wifi and set a destination or plug in a specific address then it works for taking you around when you don't have data connection.

Perfect NDS vs mostly playable with frameskip on the pandora.. Then you got the next generation consoles that may become playable eventually.
Hmm, do you have a 1GHz unit?

All the games I played so far run fullspeed without frameskipping with the latest version, so it might either be the games or not using a GHz.

But yeah, some filters might be neat. While I personally don't like scale2x or similar, I'd love to have scanlines and stuff like that.

Scanlines can be added to the Pandora as well to many emulators though, no one did it. And the higher res screen of the Shield helps making it look better as well. The planned screen for the P2 is 1280x720, no idea what the Shield has though :)

Actually Crazy Taxi got shield support about a week ago. I didn't post the information, as I figured anyone with a Shield would have known, and I just didn't think interest would have been that high. I haven't played it in years, but it was a very good game when it was released. I don't know how well it has held up, but I may give it a go.

In regards to some of the comments that the Shield isn't really portable, personally I haven't found anything to be really portable since the DS lite and the WIZ. I think the Pandora is way to big, but I find everything else to be big as well. Of course the Shield is the biggest of the bunch, but I don't think most of the devices in question are all that small either.

I'm a backpack guy, so if I'm going to an appointment or some form of travel, I've got a backpack or some form of luggage, so any of the current devices fit me well in regards to size. As long as it's fits my bag, or the passenger seat of my car, I'm good to go.

I love the Pandora's form factor, but I've never thought of it as portable. I remember some of the early reviews, showing it along side the devices of the time, and it was HUGE. I've never personally change that picture in my mind. So while I'm sure the Shield is BIG, that won't bother me at all. Now the weight, that's a different matter :p

Chris
I found Crazy Taxi to be very well done. Everything has been tweaked and it shows up very well on the Shield. I used to play this game chronically in my younger days. I really see the difference in clarity/graphically since having this on my Dreamcast. Plus there are 4 drivers instead of 3 on the original version and added options. It is nice hearing the Offspring again  :lol: . Oh yes and I forgot...you do rolls in the air with this version if you get hit hard enough. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not recall that being a possibility in the original version.   yah yah yah yah...

Last edited:
@ED I don't have a 1GHz model, so it might be full speed (60fps) without frame skip but on a 600mhz I do have its really good but not 100% even if overclocked to 1Ghz. I have other comparable spec'd devices and some that are more powerful and there are points in some games where the speed dips down (galaxy note 2) so it might be as perfect as you mention, but on the shield there are no dips, every part of every game that are bugfree are 100%/100%

That's just that specific system and I gave other examples you cherry picked around.

And scalers and filters and scan lines and stuff do look amazing, shield has the same 1280x720. its in the OP

What is this all about? I've been out of the loop for a while, and now I've seen two references to this.
Long story short: Craig demonstratably lied about a lot of things and the Pandora project suffered because of it. He said things were ready when they weren't, made excuses about timelines he knew weren't true, and has left over 500 people stranded in limbo with no clear way to receive their paid for Pandora or a refund.Meanwhile EvilDragon (who runs a distinct company selling the same product) has cleared his own queue and taken it upon himself to help fulfil Craig's 500+ remain orders from his own personal profits.

The long version is full of a lot more details.

May we please get back on topic here?

Chris
I found Crazy Taxi to be very well done. Everything has been tweaked and it shows up very well on the Shield. I used to play this game chronically in my younger days. I really see the difference in clarity/graphically since having this on my Dreamcast. Plus there are 4 drivers instead of 3 on the original version and added options. It is nice hearing the Offspring again  :lol: . Oh yes and I forgot...you do rolls in the air with this version if you get hit hard enough. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not recall that being a possibility in the original version.   yah yah yah yah...
anyone else play this yet?

Last edited:
Thanks CoCoCreekFisherman^, let me get the ball rolling!

If any of you non USA/Canada members are interested in getting a Shield, drop me a PM. I've got what will probably be my last Qty's of Shield units arriving on Monday,and I'll let them go at cost, if anyone here want's one. 

$399.99 Shipped is members cost(this covers all my cost, fees, and shipping). Express postal service shipping is the included method, and that's 3-5 days in most situations, but customs may hold it longer depending on your country.

I've also got a few extra lids as well, in both options(blk glossy or blk carbon fiber). And one extra carry case currently. The extra lids will be $25 extra per lid, and the carry case will be $45 extra(if anyone is interested in these extra items).

I know this should be in the trade area, and I'll be putting a topic up over there on Monday(once my order arrives, and if I have any units left by then). As it stands, I've only got 2-3 extra and it's first come, first served. I know this device hasn't been announce for any other regions currently, and depending on your countries exchange rates and typical retail mark ups, this may be about the same you would pay if and when it ever arrives(or maybe even better, depending on what price is announced), and you get to have it NOW! 

Chris

Someone needs to show mame4droid reloaded running higher end games that willshow the power of the shield radiant silvergun and killer instinct 

Back