Odonata - Pack Of Screenshots

I was initially completely unimpressed with those screenshots, but the video definitely changed my mind. Too bad it's ultimately going to be the same generic shmup we've all played hundreds of times before on other systems (unless it has some sort of really entertaining gimmick we don't know about).

I'm still looking forward to Payback.

Has anyone of you ever heard of the game "techno sylph" ? (aka vsys gaiden) it's freeware

It's a pc vertical shooter written by a japanese programmer, who I once been emailing with. It's not only an extremely impressive game, he also had a very interesting on-the-fly weapon upgrade system that was coupled with the shields / energy power, so you actually had to take it easy with the super weapon (as it draws energy) to save up enough power to enable the next upgrade. I thought it was pretty cool and might be a good guide for a gimmick that IntenseWage mentioned above.

Sorry to advertise a different game here, but these screenshots and the video just reminded me of it. Maybe I can ask the author if he could write a port for the gp2x? I think I gotta email him again! :rolleyes:

Definitely looking forward to this, maybe the most impressive commercial '2X game yet!!

"SunSpire"

synkro posted on Aug 4 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
hmm... for a handheld with a tv-out that's a bad video.
Thats cos its either compressed bad or taped with a camera, which would explain the no sound it has.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been shot with a camcorder. That's why the screen is fuzzy at the start.

Definitely a Mars Matrix clone, right down to the wide-spread attack, the up-close 'Piercing Cannon' which uses almost the same effect, the enemy formations and a lot of the visual stylings. It looks like a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing it-- though I hope there is a means to lower the difficulty or the density of the bullet patterns so that it won't be so near-impossible to play without dying on the GP2X default stick.

Epicenter posted on Aug 5 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
Definitely a Mars Matrix clone, right down to the wide-spread attack, the up-close 'Piercing Cannon' which uses almost the same effect, the enemy formations and a lot of the visual stylings. It looks like a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing it-- though I hope there is a means to lower the difficulty or the density of the bullet patterns so that it won't be so near-impossible to play without dying on the GP2X default stick.

Yeah I totally agree. It still looks very fun and I will definitly be purchasing this game. Who said shooters are a dying breed? :lol: Hey remember when shooters were considered games like R-Type, Gradius, Darius, and others. Now if you hear the word people think Unreal or Doom. Kinda sad if you ask me. I'm glad to see someone is taking a risk and making a game like this. They obviously know who to cater to.

wow, this sounds really cool. I cant wait till I get my gp2x!

sam fisher posted on Aug 6 2006 at 01:31 PM said:
K2A3P88 posted on Aug 6 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
wow, this sounds really cool. I cant wait till I get my gp2x!
Who are you? Why did you sign up 6 minutes ago! :eek:
Who are you? Why haven't you left this forum never to return! Also, why don't you end all your questions with interrogative marks! Also, also? :eek:

I thought, due to their name, that they were either that weird anime 'Can make system play' spammer or that twat, Spen83 who made about 15 parachute accounts yesterday alone.

Stunning!

A very smart move. This is the type of commercial product that could really find a home on the GP2X -- "The handheld Dreamcast!" ?

Something like Alien Hominid would be perfect too.

Although I agree the ships are way too vulnerable to the bullets, just look at it, a few hits and you're dead already. x(

Me just friendly, badspelling, old wizard. Just want to help the Prinsess. Whats her name again.. Iris? *murrr*

Draken posted on Aug 7 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
Although I agree the ships are way too vulnerable to the bullets, just look at it, a few hits and you're dead already. x(

May be so that the ships are a bit "to big", but this we should not hack down on that before we play the game. True? Besides, hard shoot´em ups last longer and give more satisfaction when completed. Compare Pulstar with Blazing Star, me I think Pulstar is better because of the difficulty level. Anyone have different oppinion?

remember this isn't a fps or any other kind of "shooter" where you can take a million hits and live. most classic shooter 1 shot and you're dead but some are kind enough to let you take a couple shots before you die. shmups are meant to require precision and not leave much room for error.

i just say that because before judging the game you have to consider what kind of game it actually is. some things that people consider "wrong" or a mistake are actually more of a genre convention. its kind of like playing a capcom or snk fighter and complaining that the fighters take too many hits and that one fireball would really kill them or knock them out.

Back