Oh No! Split Timeline Theory Rears Its Ugly Head In Zelda!

I'm gonna go ahead and say that all the games come from the same timeline. The original game, or the one that would come first chronologically, would have the hero of time, Link, in it. The main characters in the other games are only called Link because we enter the name as it. So with each game, a new hero is born and only the link from ocarina of time and majoras mask are the same ones. Thats my theory as it would explain why certain bosses that were in previous games dont recognise the hero in later games.

This page does a fairly good job of covering the chronology of the series. Basically, it goes like this:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Phantom Hourglass
A Link To The Past
Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link

It's not clear where these 3 games fit in, but they're presumed to be in the following order
The Minish Cap
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures

Also, it's not clear where Oracle of Ages/Seasons fit in either.

Apparently there is an official chronology and these all do occur in the same timeline, but that information has never been released to the public.

Another theory i came up with last night when i was trying to sleep was that IF ocarina of time is first chronologically, then the hero in that game and majoras mask are the same ones. Therefore, all the heros after that are descendants of the original hero and this would explain why the triforce would continue to appear on the hand of the hero. This means, also, that each zelda is a descendant from the original whereas Ganondorf is still the same one.

I personally am not bothered about the series chronologically unless its some how going to affect how the next and official wii zelda was going to be in terms of events and background knowledge for places u go to.

And...was I the only one who thought that the twilight princess was actually quite hawt?

Edit: wouldnt it be cool if in the very last zelda game we found out that the three gods that made the world turned out to be the baddies and were the reason behind ganondorf and the other evils being sent to destroy hyrule i a kinda of apocalypse way?

I don't see why it matters. It is basically the same game re-invented each time and the story is really secondary to the gameplay and is just a loose way to tie the dungeons and quests together.
I think the Zelda series would have been a lot poorer if Nintendo had tried to construct some genuine sequence and order to the games.

I think this is an American thing, trying to tie things together into some kind of structured order rather than just accepting them for what they are. I don't mean that in offensive way or anything, I am just saying that these kind of things seem to matter more to US fans than others, and the same goes for other film, book, comic etc series where people like to construct excuses and parallel timelines to explain any inconsistancies.

No, it's not. Miyamoto has stated that there is an official timeline for the series, it's just never been published. That puts a split-timeline theory right out the window, possibly excepting the GBC/GBA original games.

No, it's not. Miyamoto has stated that there is an official timeline for the series, it's just never been published. That puts a split-timeline theory right out the window, possibly excepting the GBC/GBA original games.
How does that throw the split-timeline theory out the window? The official timeline could very likely incorporate the time duality at the end of the ocarina of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, he could be lying. It doesn't looks like there was much of a master plan when making the games to me - they nicked a few bits of the stories of earlier games sometimes to try and keep some kind of consistency so that it was believable that you were playing in the same world, but there are just too many odd bits which don't match up (such as how the lost woods moves next to Kariko village between the Ocarina of Time and a Link to the Past, with Hyrule field completely disappearing, the castle taking its place). Some things can change over thousands of years - others can't.

I think that fact makes every theory just as likely, not throw them out the window...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back