Ok now I am jealous :/

come on now lets not gang up on the guy before giving him chance to respond because as far as im aware he didnt say he wasnt giong to release any source code all he said was he wasnt going to work on the pandora port untill:

1. he receives a pandora
  2. he finishes more optimizations to his cannoo build

sometimes I do read these posts and see some almost unfriendly comments and I know you guys arnt really like that.

It was a little ambiguous exactly what he was responding to, but I got the impression that he didn't want to "lend" the source code to anyone until he made some improvements in a later version; releasing the source code as required by the GPL would make this moot.

Honestly asking if he knows it's GPL (it's not that obvious) and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he understands the implications was the nicest way I could think of to put it.

Just check'd Tempest 2000 on this build.. im getting [maybe] 1fps :p .

EDIT:

After messin' agound with switches.. "-nodsp -nogl -window -frameskip 5" Raiden is completely playable.. :eek: [about 10-14 fps]

Last edited:
It was a little ambiguous exactly what he was responding to, but I got the impression that he didn't want to "lend" the source code to anyone until he made some improvements in a later version; releasing the source code as required by the GPL would make this moot.

Honestly asking if he knows it's GPL (it's not that obvious) and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he understands the implications was the nicest way I could think of to put it.

yes thats cool, but then Blue chirped in with his statement which was "almost" (as in could have been seen as) insulting, especially with the last bit.

Blue Protoman said:
by the way.

I did not intend to be offensive. I simply don't know whether he's familiar with the GPL or not.

I did not intend to be offensive. I simply don't know whether he's familiar with the GPL or not.

its ok I beleive you :) but maybe a couple more seconds to consider what statement you choose next time might be wise.

anyway enough of this topic, as its clear you did not intend offense.

And again:

After messin' again with switches.. "-nodsp -nogl -window -frameskip 5" Tempest 2000 gives about 6-10 fps [on OC - 800mhz]

Last edited:
Looking really good so far. The Jaguar is a pretty complex piece of hardware so I would be impressed if it ever got to close to full speed.

Yes I know the GPL and I approve it.

I am well to publish my sources, as soon as I will improve the Caanoo's version.

yes :) ..

BTW. mcobit.. the Virtual Jaguar SVN is constantly moving since 2 months, so maybe its good ideat to compile newest one from SVN and then try to adjust some options. I know there isnt much to do in term of adjustment, since autor of VJ knows best how to optimize his emulator, but hey we can still make it better when adding proper scalling + adjust some options major options [remove sound engine (dsp emulation)].

Last edited:
Yes it's the best idea ;)

I am currently compiling for Caanoo :rolleyes: without QT gui!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I know the GPL and I approve it.

I am well to publish my sources, as soon as I will improve the Caanoo's version.
Just so you know, that's not allowed. You have published the binary and therefore are now obliged to provide the source as well. Wanting to do some more work on it first is not a valid excuse (in that case you should postpone sharing the binary).

You do not have to make the source publicly downloadable, but you need to at least provide a link where people can request the code and you are not allowed to refuse sharing it.

This is not intended as an attack but rather to inform you about your obligations when using the GPL.

[edit]In case this isn't clear. Warning: you are violating the GPL![/edit]

Hey, wait.. maybe Riviera71 will release src's soon. Give him some time..

@ streak +1

1. you would need to formally ask for the source to the released binary (which may not be available if he has made further changes to the source since the original release and not kept a backup).

2. the source code given would be that of the cannoo version so would still need work to run on the pandora anyway.

3. there is no need to rush is there, its not like we dont have enough games to be playing on the pandora in the mean time :)

I agree and in no way did I intend to rush him and or press the matter. I fully trust him to eventually release the source.

If I wanted to be a jerk then I would have formally requested the source of the released version instead. I just wanted to make it clear that he has to be aware that everybody legally has the right to do so and in case it happens he has to oblige. I felt the need to mention it as his posts hint that he is unaware of this (perhaps it's just a language barrier and/or poorly worded post).

I prefer to think that we are a friendly community here and that nobody seeks to maliciously put unwanted pressure on him to rush out source. Strictly speaking, he is violating the GPL, but I'm totally fine with him polishing the source first.

Caine, I think he already knows how the GPL works, I doubt telling him this will change anything now. This sort of thing happens all the time and I think people do it because the communities in which they release these things generally tolerate it, and the original authors don't actually know about the ports or don't really care. I guess it's considered a victimless crime. It just annoys me when people pick and choose their fervor with respect to the GPL.. especially when its the porters themselves criticizing others for violating GPL then outright refusing to give source when asked for it.

No longer having the source that corresponds with the released binary is actually a very good reason to make the source available, to prevent this from happening. Important things can be lost this way.. and in the mean time maybe his computer will crash and the new version source won't be released either, even if it was promised with the sincerest of intentions.

Personally I never understood why so many people do this, releasing the source is not an awful lot harder than releasing the binary. Are people ashamed of their code? Are they afraid of forks, even if they didn't write most of it to begin with?

Back