Release Open Fodder

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Open Fodder, an open source remake of Cannon Fodder.
preview4.png

Note that you need some Cannon Fodder data to play this game, but it come with some Amiga demos.

To use the Dos Retail CD Version / GoG Version
Copy 'CF_ENG.DAT' from the CD to the Data/Dos_CD folder
If you have the GoG version, you can just put the setup exe file in appdata/openfodder and the file will be auto extracted.

For the Amiga Retail
Use the WHDLoad installer on an Amiga to extract the game files, and copy all the extracted files into the Data/Amiga folder

And for the Amiga CD32 Retail
Copy the files from the 'Fodder' folder on the CD-Rom, to the Data/Amiga_CD folder. For the final video, Extract Track2 from the CD and name it 'Track2.flv', placed in the Amiga_CD folder.

The TouchScreen is not really functionnal. There is an offset and no modifier for right-click. Not sure it will be easy to add the touchscreen, I have seen many "SDL_WarpMouse" that may make things difficult.

History log
=========

Build 05
-------------

• Updated sources
  • Updated libs
Build 03
-------------

• Fixed PND launch
  • Added autoextraction of GoG data if present
Build 02
-------------

• Updates sources
  • Updates libs
Build 01
-------------

• Initial build
  • Forced Fullscreen

Last edited:
Nice!
I loved this game back in the day.
The screenshot looks a little different than how I remember it though.
The trees and bushes look very basic compared to the original. Aren't the gfx from the original re-used?

I'll try it out if I can still find the data files.

The screenshot above is from an Amiga Demo. In the repo, you'll see some screenshot from the XMas Amiga demo that are a bit more colorfull. Use the PC Version to have even more details in the textures.

I forget, were there some instructions on how to get the data from a GoG install on the source website?

Ah, finding it now, I see it mentions you can use the GoG files, but doesn't explicitly say how in the instructions; you have copied them completely above.

Is there a way to save? The save feature doesn't seem to work for me.

Is there a way to save? The save feature doesn't seem to work for me.
Mmm, maybe I have a permission issue with the package, I haven't checked where the save is. Can you have a look in the /tmp/pndrun_openfodder.out and see if there is a message?

*Edit* I fact, saves should go inside appdata/openfodder/Saves
Do you see that folder or something wrong here @Loonie ?

Last edited:
Hmm... the folder is there and it seems the save files are being created. The problem is when I try to load, no saves are listed.

Oh I should probably mention I'm using the PC version from GOG.

Alas, the build is reporting:

./OpenFodder: error while loading shared libraries:
libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

New build on the repo. This one start?
As a bonus, I have added the autoextraction of the GoG data for the dos version: you can just put the setup exe file in appdata/openfodder and the file will be auto extracted.

Build 03
-------------

• Fixed PND launch
  • Added autoextraction of GoG data if present

Starting and saving all working well now, but it seems to lock up the Pandora on quitting, requiring a hard reset. No PND out generated.

Starting and saving all working well now, but it seems to lock up the Pandora on quitting, requiring a hard reset. No PND out generated.
I tried a bit on my CC and didn't experience that (playing the GoG version for 30 sec). Did it happens all the times or just 1 time?

I'm using the GOG version too. I had played for a while, had probably reloaded. First time I quit out, it sort of dropped back to desktop very sluggishly and stopped responding. The second time it didn't even get to the desktop.

Sorry I can't give more info, I'll try it again after work.

Back